+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse visa on student visa or PR

Mirzana

Oct 19, 2018
Hi,

My husband has enrolled in a 2 year academic program in canada. Even though he holds a student visa, heard that there is a provision to get spouse visa(visiting visa) . I just did some research about the PR process. Approached a consultant. They say that I will be getting a CRS score of 398.I'm a bit confused whether to try for PR or go on spouse visa. Which would be a better option? I dont want to wait much.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

My husband has enrolled in a 2 year academic program in canada. Even though he holds a student visa, heard that there is a provision to get spouse visa(visiting visa) . I just did some research about the PR process. Approached a consultant. They say that I will be getting a CRS score of 398.I'm a bit confused whether to try for PR or go on spouse visa. Which would be a better option? I dont want to wait much.
With 398 points, you don't have any chance of getting invited to apply for PR through Express Entry.

You may want to consider applying for a Spouse Open Work Permit instead

Mirzana

Oct 19, 2018
With 398 points, you don't have any chance of getting invited to apply for PR through Express Entry.

You may want to consider applying for a Spouse Open Work Permit instead
I'm a IT professional with 2yrs experience. The consultants were trying to convince me by telling about Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) option or Quebec immigration. Is there a chance to get into that with 398 CRS score?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm a IT professional with 2yrs experience. The consultants were trying to convince me by telling about Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) option or Quebec immigration. Is there a chance to get into that with 398 CRS score?
You/your consultants would need to research different PNP options. That said, if you intend to move to Canada in the near future/next few months then PR is not an option considering the time required for the entire process even if you try the PNP route.

Have you attempted taking the IELTS exam? If yes, have you maxed the IELTS overall band? Did it result in a CRS score of 398?

Mirzana

Oct 19, 2018
You/your consultants would need to research different PNP options. That said, if you intend to move to Canada in the near future/next few months then PR is not an option considering the time required for the entire process even if you try the PNP route.

Have you attempted taking the IELTS exam? If yes, have you maxed the IELTS overall band? Did it result in a CRS score of 398?
I havent taken ielts. But keeping ielts score as 7778, a rough estimate of crs was made. It came to 398.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I havent taken ielts. But keeping ielts score as 7778, a rough estimate of crs was made. It came to 398.
Then you need to take IELTS if you want to consider PR through EE, without PNP.

IELTS 7, 7, 7, 8 is a hypothetical assumption. In reality you may get lower/higher band than this. Plus, the max band possible is 9, 9, 9, 9 which would increase the CRS points

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You also could apply for an SOWP. It isn't guaranteed as the spouse of an international student but it is your fastest option if you are approved.