+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spouse sponsorship

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen. We're planning to get married in approximately 2 years so that he can then sponsor me. I know that I can apply outside of Canada through Buffalo. My question is can I stay in the US and continue my job until I am granted PR, or do I have to move to Canada and live there for so long until I can receive my PR? I've glanced at the timelines but was a little confused about whether or not that time between applying and receiving PR had to be spent in Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

PRS said:
My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen. We're planning to get married in approximately 2 years so that he can then sponsor me. I know that I can apply outside of Canada through Buffalo. My question is can I stay in the US and continue my job until I am granted PR, or do I have to move to Canada and live there for so long until I can receive my PR? I've glanced at the timelines but was a little confused about whether or not that time between applying and receiving PR had to be spent in Canada.
1. Sure, why not? ONce the sponsorship/application is approved Buffalo will issue you a PR visa (COPR) and then you will have to "land" in Canada within 12 months of the medical or the expiry of the passport, whichever comes first.
2. You are confused with process, there are actually 2 for spousal applications, "in-canada" where the couple both reside in Canada, and out of Canada, where the applicant lives in another country.

PMM

Happy0226

Apr 4, 2005
Canada (from the USA)
Hello there =)

Thought I would let you know what I did, hope it helps )

My husband is canadian and i am american. After we got married, I returned home to the US after our honeymoon and he returned to Canada. We then gathered all the information we needed for him to sponser me into Canada. I remained at my job until 2 days before I left to land. Now granted, our border crossings were a little more complicated because of the marital status, but nothing that prevented either of us to cross the border into each others countries. From the time he sent in the application to the time I actually landed, only took us 3 months. If you research your application, and COMPLETELY fill it out and prove what you are stating ( emails, phone bills, letters, pictures, etc) it should go very smoothly for you.

I had posted my time line , and will see if i can find it again.

Best wishes and good luck !
Happy

Happy0226

Apr 4, 2005
Canada (from the USA)
***EDIT****

found my time line ...... hope this gives hope )

Please note these two things:

1. This was a FAMILY CLASS SPONSORSHIP PROCESS (OUTSIDE CANADA-SPOUSAL)

2. Both sets of Prints, the Medical Exam Slip, and the Fees Reciept were sent .. WITH .. the application.

FEB 26 - Married
MAR 30 - FBI Prints Mailed (FedEx with Return)
APR 01 - Medical Done (In Hamilton, Ontario)
APR 04 - State Prints Completed (On-Site Computer)
APR 04 - FBI Received Prints and Mailed same day
APR 05 - FBI Prints Received
APR 29 - State Prints Received
APR 29 - Sponsorship/Processing/Landing Fees Payed ($1525 CND)
MAY 18 - Immigration Package Sent (Express Post)
MAY 19 - CiC Received Package
JUN 11 - CiC Begins Processing (Sponsor Got Notice)
JUN 17 - CiC Sends Package to Buffalo (Sponsored Got Notice)
JUL 25 - Sponsored Received Notice of Approval and Passport Request
JUL 26 - Passport Sent In (FedEx with Return)
AUG 24 - Passport Stamped
AUG 25 - Passport Received (FedEx Return WITH Consolate Top Priority!)
SEPT 4 - Left Illinois, USA
SEPT 4-5 Landed in Sarnia, ON !!!

Happy

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
thanks

Thanks you so much for answering. Your timeline is very helpful. Clearly you were very organized and things happened quickly for you. I will take your advice and do so myself. Thanks again!

bassem132

Star Member
Apr 2, 2012
syria
Category........
Visa Office......
amman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03\02\2012
AOR Received.
01\03\2012
File Transfer...
02\03\2012
I submitted my application on February 3, 2012 and got a bail on 28 February and Akhaddt approval Alkiubik on 21 March and sent my file to Jordan on March 1 note I am Syrian, and my wife is Canadian citizenship as possible was the difficult situations in Syria was the reason for the acceleration of acceptance I do not know I wish success to everyone and have information you soo wait much after I passed the first stage

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bassem132 said:
I submitted my application on February 3, 2012 and got a bail on 28 February and Akhaddt approval Alkiubik on 21 March and sent my file to Jordan on March 1 note I am Syrian, and my wife is Canadian citizenship as possible was the difficult situations in Syria was the reason for the acceleration of acceptance I do not know I wish success to everyone and have information you soo wait much after I passed the first stage
Okay...that's wonderful for you...but why did you post this in a thread that's been dead for six and a half years?