+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship within Canada is temporary resident permit needed

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
Hello all,

I am a dual citizen Canada-US and I primarily reside in Montreal. I am soon to be married and my future spouse is a US citizen. We would like to apply for spousal sponsorship within Canada. I am curious about if they will need a Temporary Resident Permit or what we need to tell CBSA upon entering Canada. We would be traveling by car.

My spouse may work remotely and even if not they have their own finances in order to be able to support themselves regardless of my financial support.

Looking for input from people that may have gone this route or advice. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

I am a dual citizen Canada-US and I primarily reside in Montreal. I am soon to be married and my future spouse is a US citizen. We would like to apply for spousal sponsorship within Canada. I am curious about if they will need a Temporary Resident Permit or what we need to tell CBSA upon entering Canada. We would be traveling by car.

My spouse may work remotely and even if not they have their own finances in order to be able to support themselves regardless of my financial support.

Looking for input from people that may have gone this route or advice. Thank you.
US citizens enter Canada based on their passports. No visa is needed.

BTW: I think you are mixing up TRVs and TRPs. TRVs (Temporary Resident Visa) are regular visitor visas. TRPs (Temporary Resident Permits) are a special class of visa generally reserved for individuals who are inadmissible to Canada, typically due to a criminal record.

Reactions: tea_1984

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
This forum mostly about spousal sponsorship:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/family-class-sponsorship.5/

Short form: your spouse can just enter as a visitor and then you apply to sponsor 'inland.' If your spouse is not going to try to work in Canada officially, 'outland' may be preferable - read up there.

Warning: your spouse can work for a foreign employer while in Canada in some limited circumstances - check carefully. Things like whether the employer has business in Canada.

As a visitor, your spouse can ask to extend visit in Canada if needed (usually six months is time admitted at border).

Main thing at border: fine for your spouse to visit. Even for six months and then extend. But if he/she shows up with all belongings at border, they'll know it's not a visit and things will get complicated.

Reactions: tea_1984 and scylla

tea_1984

Star Member
May 2, 2022
US citizens enter Canada based on their passports. No visa is needed.

BTW: I think you are mixing up TRVs and TRPs. TRVs (Temporary Resident Visa) are regular visitor visas. TRPs (Temporary Resident Permits) are a special class of visa generally reserved for individuals who are inadmissible to Canada, typically due to a criminal record.
Oh okay, thank you. I wasn't sure if there was something needed or if we could simply tell CBSA we have the intention to submit our application from within Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Oh okay, thank you. I wasn't sure if there was something needed or if we could simply tell CBSA we have the intention to submit our application from within Canada.
I would advise NOT bringing it up - but not lying, either. Sure, might apply, sooner or later, we haven't decided, we're working on it is generally an ok response. If they ask directly, tell the truth though.

It's not that you're doing anything illegal but they admit visitors to visit; if you show up and say you're never leaving (or imply that) it is different and will be treated differently. (Might still be okay but take some extra time or hassle)

Reactions: YVR123