+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship - social assistance (EI)

researcher

Feb 26, 2009
I briefly collected EI (Employment Insurance) within the last 12 months but now have a well-paying permanent job. I see elsewhere that if I am sponsoring my spouse I am exempt from financial requirements, but I am still wondering how to mark the box that says 'are you in receipt of social assistance'. Is my past receipt of EI going to effect my application in any way?

CARWIN

Dec 4, 2008
NOT REALLY SURE BUT I DOUBT IT EI IS INSURANCE YOU PAID INTO I AM QUITE SURE THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT WELFARE
-CARWIN MILTIMORE

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
EI is not social assistance; Carwin is right- you would have to be on what we used to call welfare to not qualify as a sponsor.

You will qualify as a sponsor.

graham

Star Member
Jan 11, 2008
ei will have no effect on sponsorship,nor would disability-the only things that would affect your sponsorchip are welfare and child support payment defaults-although there may be others beyond my knowledge.

lisa_joanne_uk

Star Member
Apr 11, 2009
UK
I was just wondering if anyone knows what is classed as welfare?
I've searched around a bit and have only come up with income support??? If anyone has any specific answers that'd be great thanks :)
Lisa

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, welfare is what you get when you don't qualify for EI or you have used up your EI time limit and don't qualify anymore so you go to social services and ask for money. As far as I have heard, it's not a lot, I think $500 a month for an individual.

P

pakistan

I have a question and hope some experience person shall reply.
My friend is Canadian Citizen on social Assistance and is not doing any job. She is in Pakistan now got married and now want to sponsor her husband. She is ready to stop taking social assistance but want to stay in Pakistan and sponsor her husband from here. She don,t want to go to Canada until her husband is issued PR.. Can she sponsor to her husband or not as she don,t have any job there??? any possible way

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know how long you have to be off social assistance to sponsor somebody but if she can overcome that, it is possible for a citizen to sponsor from another country. She would have to prove to immigration that she and the husband will move to Canada when he gets his PR. This can be done by showing that they have arranged housing, have a job offer, accepted to university etc.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
I don't know how long you have to be off social assistance to sponsor somebody but if she can overcome that, it is possible for a citizen to sponsor from another country. She would have to prove to immigration that she and the husband will move to Canada when he gets his PR. This can be done by showing that they have arranged housing, have a job offer, accepted to university etc.
If she is collect Social Assistance from Canada while being in Pakistan with a spouse, usually looked upon as fraud.

PMM

yasirmajid

Star Member
Oct 30, 2008
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
It is CRA rule you can only collect Social assistance when you are in Canada. If you are away, you have to inform CRA, so they can stop social assistance.

* Your friend must return to Canada and request to stop Social assistance from Government and then apply. This is not a good start for her!!

Yasir
Link2Canada.ca

P

pakistan

Thanks for replying. If she stops the benefits, then after what time, she can sponsor her husband from Pakistan. And if she gets acceptance letter from university, does it show ties that she will settle in Canada

neverz

Feb 8, 2012
hi
Please anyone can help me my wife had social assistance due to job less last time she got the check in FEB 2013, now we are planing to submit our application for the immigration outland and she is living in canada so any one can advice me what we have to do to make sure the eligibility for the sponsorship thanks

ipoo

Jun 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London Visa Office (15-June-2015) File Received at CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015 & Decision Made on 09/02/2016
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
17-07-2015
IELTS Request
None-Not Required
File Transfer...
24-08-2015
Med's Request
No-Remedical
Med's Done....
02-06-2015 Upfromt
Interview........
Waive
Passport Req..
16-Feb-2016 submitted 22-Feb-2016 PP received on 23-Feb-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-Mar-2016, PP dispatch 31 March, Call for Collection 01-Apr-2016
LANDED..........
Inn-Sha-Allah soon
I was suppose to apply my wife's application (i was to sponsor her)
from within Canada in 2011 but i couldn't do it due to some family issues
and my being sick (needed someone to look after me as I was unable to do basic things, like walking, sitting..etc), and i have submitted the fee in 2011 in Canada (TD Bank),
can i use that Receipt to sponsor her now? Currently I am living in Pakistan,
and I am a disable person and I have not enough money to repay for the sponsorship
application.

any idea to anyone?

mrsldr

Star Member
May 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 12, 2013
Doc's Request.
from ADVO- December 09, 2013
AOR Received.
from ADVO- December 09, 2013
File Transfer...
to ADVO- September 30, 2013
Med's Done....
July 07, 2013
Interview........
waive!!!!
Passport Req..
april 16, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
april 29, 2014. Passport sent back to me: May 6, 2014
LANDED..........
July.........
hello everyone just a question for my husband. he's living and studying in toronto. he is receiving OSAP/student loan. is it considered as a social assistance?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mrsldr said:
hello everyone just a question for my husband. he's living and studying in toronto. he is receiving OSAP/student loan. is it considered as a social assistance?
No, student loan is not social assistance.