+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship - Immigrant visa granted - landing question

khan_khan

Sep 24, 2012
Hi All,

I have got an immigrant visa sponsored by my spouse. We are living in Pakistan. I have to give entry before Mar 2013.

I need to confirm that can I give entry in Canada without my spouse : (one reason is that our child does not have traveling document/passport yet we have applied for him, second reason is cost)

I may not settle in Canada but just get the PR and come back (family commitments in Pakistan).

Can I land alone and what possible questions immigration officer can ask in this context? Any particular proof I need to show? etc.

Your guidance will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Khan

bacontoaster

Star Member
Aug 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-10-2012
File Transfer...
22-11-2012
Med's Done....
06-08-2012
Passport Req..
26-03-2013
Why would you get PR if you're not planning to live in the country? Seems like a waste of time to go through the whole process...

dkera

Jun 21, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bacontoaster said:
Why would you get PR if you're not planning to live in the country? Seems like a waste of time to go through the whole process...
this is grounds for pr revocation actually

khan_khan

Sep 24, 2012
Well, it's not like that. Think like cannot move permanently at this point in time, may be in next 2-3 years. I think no harm in planning the future.

I hope it clarifies.

May I get the answer now.

khan_khan

Sep 24, 2012
dkera said:
this is grounds for pr revocation actually
dear dkera: I did not get your reply.

May be my post is mis-understood. Here is the clarification. Our relationship is genuine and we want to settle in Canada in a longer run. But for next couple of years, we may not settle permanently but visiting on and off.

Tipha

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna (principle applicant)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-May-2012 (rec. 22-May-2012)
AOR Received.
27-August-2012 Vienna
File Transfer...
12-July-2012
Med's Done....
02-March-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
19-Sep-2012 (rec. 27-Sep-2012)
LANDED..........
09-Nov-2012
khan_khan said:

May be my post is mis-understood. Here is the clarification. Our relationship is genuine and we want to settle in Canada in a longer run. But for next couple of years, we may not settle permanently but visiting on and off.
Then you might should have done the process when your about ready to settle in canada and not yet.....

dkera

Jun 21, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
khan_khan said:

let me clarify.

i never implied or said anything about you not being genuine.

whether the relationship is genuine or not is not the only reason you can lose PR.

one of the PR conditions is that you are in the country for 2 out of 5 years from the moment you get PR.

if you are not you lose it.

simple enough ?

khan_khan

Sep 24, 2012
yes you are right but I can't go in the past and get things right.

I want help according to my current situation.

Getting PR card is necessary because I will keep visiting Canada along with my spouse and child but may settle permanently at some appropriate time.

Please note that rules have provision if I am living with my spouse outside Canada who is Canadian citizen then I won't loose my PR. Please confirm.

dkera

Jun 21, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
khan_khan said:

Getting PR card is necessary because I will keep visiting Canada along with my spouse and child but may settle permanently at some appropriate time.

Please note that rules have provision if I am living with my spouse outside Canada who is Canadian citizen then I won't loose my PR. Please confirm.
actually for her to sponsor you she has to "make a promise" to go back and live in Canada

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Yes, but does the Canadian sponsor actually have to stay in Canada?? That question is meant in terms of being able to return abroad with my wife so we can finalize loose ends....We're landing together...and we're bringing our son so that my parents can meet him (my dad has a health condition so it's been impossible for him to travel abroad)...We'll fly back to China after 4 nights in Vancouver...stay for a few months, then return to Canada to live out our years...

You state that this is grounds to revoke PR status, but on what grounds? I understand about the residency requirement, but in my situation we only plan to stay a few extra months to finalize our relocation and also allow more time so I can complete my contract. Yes, I made a promise to return to Canada, and I intend to keep that promise, but not for a few extra months. Do you know of a specific law relating to the Canadian sponsor (who applied while living abroad), that states the sponsor cannot leave the country after his/her spouse has landed as a PR?

As a Canadian citizen, the time we spend finalizing our relocation arrangements (abroad) will count towards the 2 year residency obligation...so on that front it's not a problem.

Someone else posted that when you depart Canada, you do not go through immigration. Is that true? I thought you would need to go through immigration to get stamped out of the country...but then someone else said that there is no exit stamp when departing Canada. It's kind of confusing...or I'm just a bit slow...probably the latter.

Situations change, and surely CIC knows this...plus we are definitely going to live in Canada...just not for another few months after we complete the landing formalities. I agree with the comment about living in Canada...we did this so we can live in Canada...not so that we could continue living in China...that would be absurd...but not only that, we're doing this for our son...and for my sanity (China has really gotten to me!!).

I think this issue needs to be clarified with some kind of link to a law or CIC regulation...aside from what is stated in the IMM forms...

FS

Tipha

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna (principle applicant)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-May-2012 (rec. 22-May-2012)
AOR Received.
27-August-2012 Vienna
File Transfer...
12-July-2012
Med's Done....
02-March-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
19-Sep-2012 (rec. 27-Sep-2012)
LANDED..........
09-Nov-2012
khan_khan said:

Dont get me wrong, you might be a nice person and all this is nothing against you but.....i dont think you thought this through well before applying for PR. It shouldnt be for visiting purposes and "may" settle there sounds just not right and as far i know and as dkera already pointed out, if you start this process, already your sponsor has to show serious intentions to settle there again. This whole process is a serious matter that needs to be thought through well and its important to read what the conditions/rules are to it before you start this.
I have no idea what rules apply in your case now....nothing i can confirm

A

achander

khan_khan said:
Hi All,

I have got an immigrant visa sponsored by my spouse. We are living in Pakistan. I have to give entry before Mar 2013.

I need to confirm that can I give entry in Canada without my spouse : (one reason is that our child does not have traveling document/passport yet we have applied for him, second reason is cost)

I may not settle in Canada but just get the PR and come back (family commitments in Pakistan).

Can I land alone and what possible questions immigration officer can ask in this context? Any particular proof I need to show? etc.

Your guidance will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Khan
I think you can enter without your spouse. I did the same. I don't think it is any different for a person coming from Pakistan. The officers usually don't ask any crazy questions. They will look at your documents and verify all the information. If you have any updates like address, phone number etc make sure you give it to them. When i landed he did not ask me for any proof of my relationship. The officer was really friendly.

Regarding your travel back to Pakistan, make sure you fulfill the necessary residency requirements to maintain your PR. If you don't, renewal of PR can be a big big pain in the ass.

good luck