+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship (Afghanistan - Canada)

zara999

Jan 3, 2021
I am in the process of filling out my spouse sponsorship application. I live in Canada and my husband is in Afghanistan?
A few question;
1) If I am sponsoring my spouse with no children. Does the generic application need to be filled out? Can his sibling or parents be included in the application?
2) Do I need a biometric? ;/
3) Anyone in this situation - how long did it take to sponsor spouse from Afghanistan.

Thanks for all the help.

Reactions: sher2233

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in the process of filling out my spouse sponsorship application. I live in Canada and my husband is in Afghanistan?
A few question;
1) If I am sponsoring my spouse with no children. Does the generic application need to be filled out? Can his sibling or parents be included in the application?
3) Anyone in this situation - how long did it take to sponsor spouse from Afghanistan.

Thanks for all the help.
1. His parents must be listed as extended family member but can not be included
2. He must do biometrics
3. Definitely over a year. Afghanistan applications tend to be longer than average plus the pandemic has delayed things. Would plan for between 1-2 years.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How can you say it will take over a year?
I assume the person who posted this is guessing based on experiences on this forum.

Outland spousal sponsorship is normally around a year of processing. Unfortunately there are certainly countries where it generally takes longer due to complexities with running background / security checks, etc. (some countries share this information much more easily / readily with Canada than others and / or have more centralized information available which makes these processes faster / easier). Afghanistan is unfortunately one of the countries where the background / security check is generally a longer process.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So roughly how long is a China applicant or say Philippines?
You would probably be better off asking in the visa office specific thread.

My guess is that information sharing between the Philippines and Canada should be pretty good (i.e. fairly open). I'm not so sure about China. My guess would be that China has the information well organized (centralized and accessible) however I'm not sure how open China is with sharing that information. My thinking is probably not as open. China & Canada relations are only so-so. Just my guess...

Canada has dependencies on other countries as it relates to certain steps in the immigration process. So processing times are or can be impacted by how cooperative / open that country is. Upper end of cooperation is countries such as the US (of course), Australia, NZ, UK, Europe. I believe there's also good cooperation / information exchange with India - I think the Philippines may be in the same bucket. More problematic are places like Afghanistan, North Korea (probably super obviously), Syria (due to the war), etc.

dw33

Champion Member
Dec 28, 2020
Thanks, Ive received AOR but waiting a month now for SA. Any idea how long that takes?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

dw33

Champion Member
Dec 28, 2020
I have no idea. My AOR I got December 4th from Sydney. Heard nothing since. Is it possible with my applicant being from China it still stays in Ottawa?

sh_ed

Star Member
Dec 20, 2020
A few question;

Thanks for all the help.
Hey

Include them where needed but obviously they are not being sponsored.

For the Biometrics they will ask you when its needed depends on your application some ask for it when it transfer to a visa office some ask for it before.

Good luck though I am also sponsoring my husband from Afghanistan and I'm approaching the one year mark next month.....so like the other person mentioned be prepared for at least a year and a half.

Reactions: zara999

zara999

Jan 3, 2021
Hey

Include them where needed but obviously they are not being sponsored.

For the Biometrics they will ask you when its needed depends on your application some ask for it when it transfer to a visa office some ask for it before.

Good luck though I am also sponsoring my husband from Afghanistan and I'm approaching the one year mark next month.....so like the other person mentioned be prepared for at least a year and a half.

Thanks for the help,

Did you sign your papers electronically or by hand?

The easiest way for me and my spouse is to sign by hand. But I am not sure if it will be acceptable.

sh_ed

Star Member
Dec 20, 2020
Thanks for the help,

Did you sign your papers electronically or by hand?

The easiest way for me and my spouse is to sign by hand. But I am not sure if it will be acceptable.
I emailed it to my husband to print out and sign and he sent them through Fed-Ex

Cinderella_2020

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021
Applying For my husband from AFGHANISTAN I sent my application in November,30, 2020
received AOR,SA and biometrics but still haven’t received MEDICAL? Does anyone know how much time will it take to receive medical ?