+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorhip...Help Needed

Candreamer

Oct 4, 2011
Hi Friends,

I have a query regarding sponsoring my spouse to Canada. I have been recently granted a PR for Canada, i did my landing last month, finished all the formalities of SIN etc and came back to Europe to continue working for my present job.

My question to the fellow members is, do i need to be physically present in Canada during the complete application process time for my spouse, say if i go to Canada in the beginning of May 2012 (i am prepared to stay in Canada without a job for 2-3 months initially), send the sponsorship application in mid May 2012 and if the initial assessment will be done in 65 days and the application is sent to the respective consular post for further processing, at this point of time can i take a vacation of 2 months before joining my new job in Canada around September 2012 (i have talked to my Canadian employer about this)? or Do i need to be present all the time until which my spouse gets her PR acceptance?

Inputs are highly appreciated!!

Thank you for the time and Happy Holidays

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
A PR who sponsors a spouse is supposed to stay in Canada during the whole processing time. However, short vacations are allowed. I think two months would be too much. 3 weeks would seem OK. It's a judgment call on the part of the VO, as far as I know.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
Did you inform CIC of your spouse on your previous PR application? Or, did you get married after landing? If you were married before you received your visa and landed, yet didn't declare your spouse on your forms you are likely ineligible to sponsor at this point, and your spouse will have to apply under a different PR category.

Otherwise, a PR must be in Canada to sponsor, with limited trips/vacations allowed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
AmericaninQuebec said:
Did you inform CIC of your spouse on your previous PR application? Or, did you get married after landing? If you were married before you received your visa and landed, yet didn't declare your spouse on your forms you are likely ineligible to sponsor at this point, and your spouse will have to apply under a different PR category.

Otherwise, a PR must be in Canada to sponsor, with limited trips/vacations allowed.
Candreamer double posted this question to another part of the forum and I responded with similiar concerns. I'm hoping the marriage occured after landing or the spouse was declared in the application but flagged as non-accompaying. Otherwise there are going to be huge problems.

Candreamer

Oct 4, 2011
@ AmericaninQubec and Scylla: First of all thank you for your replies!! Point well made, but I'm not yet married and will be getting married in Feb 2012. So, i guess the issues about not declaring the spouse etc. are ruled out!!

I want to take a 45-60 day break because, i have some personal issues to take care of and also need to present in a couple of conferences in Europe, and my future employer has been informed by me about my proposed date of start of work in Sept, they are ok with my start date.

My question is, isn't it enough if i get some documents from my employer about my proposed date for start of work and also the invitations that i will receive from a couple of European society conferences where i present my research, and submit the documents to CIC to prove a point that, my stay away from Canada has a personal and professional purpose.

Thanks in anticipation!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Great to hear you aren't married yet.

If you really need to take a 45-60 day trip away from Canada, then wait until after this trip to submit the sponsorship application. Unfortunately CIC doesn't care why you have to be away from Canada. So the answer to your question is no - the documents from your employer will not be enough. They would be enough if you were a citizen. But since you're a PR - you must be living in Canada to sponsor. (This is a rule - not a grey area.) Again, if you really need to be away for that length of time, then submit your application once you've returned to Canada for good.

siavashf

Dec 29, 2011
Tehran - Iran
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus/ Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2011
AOR Received.
05-05-2011
Med's Done....
21-02-2011/22-02-2012
Passport Req..
17-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
24-05-2012
LANDED..........
19-06-2012
Candreamer said:
@ AmericaninQubec and Scylla: First of all thank you for your replies!! Point well made, but I'm not yet married and will be getting married in Feb 2012. So, i guess the issues about not declaring the spouse etc. are ruled out!!

I want to take a 45-60 day break because, i have some personal issues to take care of and also need to present in a couple of conferences in Europe, and my future employer has been informed by me about my proposed date of start of work in Sept, they are ok with my start date.

My question is, isn't it enough if i get some documents from my employer about my proposed date for start of work and also the invitations that i will receive from a couple of European society conferences where i present my research, and submit the documents to CIC to prove a point that, my stay away from Canada has a personal and professional purpose.

Thanks in anticipation!!
Hi,

My wife who is my sponsor has left canada to visit me twice in the past 11 months and each time has stayed with me for around 2 months, (In the last 11 months she has been outside Canada for 4 months). I've been advised by my lawyer that she has to stay as much as possible in Canada to convince the visa officer that our plan is to move to Canada.

To make the long story short, our lawyer told that my wife shouldn't stay out of Canada more than 3 months in one go and more than 5 months in a year.....this topic that how much u r allowed to stay out of Canada is very subjective but if u want to be in the safe-side u should stay as much as possible in the Canada :D