+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse OWP - Supporting document - Purpose of Travel - Other (required)

biotechsun

Jul 28, 2021
Dear members
I'm applying through SDS for my study permit. Application of my wife's open work permit and my kids' study permits are processed together with my SDS application.
There is a document required to be uploaded under Supporting document for my wife. " Purpose of Travel - Other (required)"
Explanation shows like this
"You must submit proof that you are coming to Canada for a temporary visit.
Examples of what you can provide as proof:
A scanned copy of:
  • Your flight ticket departing Canada,
  • Your travel itinerary (e.g. places you will visit or stay, such as hotel booking),
  • Proof of a medical appointment."
Since she will be accompanying me and I'm going for a 2-year study, non of the above is appropriate

kindly advise what need to upload here!

Thank you

aby08

Oct 8, 2019
Hi!

In our case, my partner wrote a letter of intent stating her reasons on why she’s coming to Canada with me. I cannot share the exact content of the letter for privacy reasons but here are some pointers I could share. First is to introduce your wife and tell something about how you guys met. You should also mention how many years you’ve been together and some milestones and hardships you’ve done together. Through this, it will justify the strength and length of our relationship.

Then state the reasons on why she’ll be coming with you. Here are some of what my partner mentioned in her letter: 1) to be my moral support 2) to be my home away from home and lastly, 3) is because she wants to witness and do this milestone together with me.

Just be honest and tell the reason why she has to accompany you. I’m sure Canada wouldn’t want to separate you from your family. :)

Also, I’ve attached a copy of my LOA to support her letter.

I hope this helps! Goodluck!

biotechsun

Jul 28, 2021
@Alpha_Wolf , @aby08 Thank you very much. I prepared a document. In some videos, I have seen people recommending to include funding details and not to mention that she is planning to work, instead show that she is interested in some volunteer work.

aby08

Oct 8, 2019
Yes. Do not mention anything about your wife, working. Just emphasize that she’ll be there as your support system since being away from home is difficult. It’ll be easier for you to adapt to your new environment if your have your wife with you.

I don’t remember my partner mentioning something about funding though but it’s your choice. You can mention it if you feel the need to.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Yes. Do not mention anything about your wife, working. Just emphasize that she’ll be there as your support system since being away from home is difficult. It’ll be easier for you to adapt to your new environment if your have your wife with you.

I don’t remember my partner mentioning something about funding though but it’s your choice. You can mention it if you feel the need to.
Well, it is already implied that if the spouse is applying for a spouse open work permit then the spouse intends to work. Otherwise, what’s the point in applying for an open work permit? That is, if I understand the OP correctly that spouse is applying for SOWP...

aby08

Oct 8, 2019
Well, it is already implied that if the spouse is applying for a spouse open work permit then the spouse intends to work. Otherwise, what’s the point in applying for an open work permit? That is, if I understand the OP correctly that spouse is applying for SOWP...
Hi! Yes, you’re correct. But there is no other visa that can grant my partner the same length of stay in Canada as mine. I’m not sure if you can extend that long if you’re a tourist though.

Anyway, you are right. It kind of depicts the SOWP title if the partner doesn’t mention something about working, right? It’s just that in our case, we chose not to emphasize much about her, working in Canada but more on being my support system. Of course, she’ll work but her priority is actually helping me adjust to my new environment. We figured if we spoke of her, working— IO would think we’re aiming to stay when it should be the other way around.

Some mention it though but we chose not to. And thank God it worked. :)

Pranav2890

Feb 28, 2021
@Alpha_Wolf , @aby08 Thank you very much. I prepared a document. In some videos, I have seen people recommending to include funding details and not to mention that she is planning to work, instead show that she is interested in some volunteer work.
You are applying for Spouse "Open Work Permit" and you want to mention in SOP that your wife's main intention is to not work? Don't you think VO will understand your situation

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

Whats a point of having SOWP then? And why they accord spouse with that option? Is to work and reduce financial burden. If you mention that my spouse will not work at all, that could be redflag. Secondly, this is Canada where regardless of gender, everyone is treated equally. I didnt understand when you “ she’ll be here as your support system”.. thats sounds bad denying wife opportunities to just sit around as “support tool”,

aby08

Oct 8, 2019
Whats a point of having SOWP then? And why they accord spouse with that option? Is to work and reduce financial burden. If you mention that my spouse will not work at all, that could be redflag. Secondly, this is Canada where regardless of gender, everyone is treated equally. I didnt understand when you “ she’ll be here as your support system”.. thats sounds bad denying wife opportunities to just sit around as “support tool”,
You are applying for Spouse "Open Work Permit" and you want to mention in SOP that your wife's main intention is to not work? Don't you think VO will understand your situation
Hi! I did not actually say she wouldn’t work. She would, of course but we just didn’t mention it in the letter. The reason we didn’t was to support my SOP because it was what I’ve actually written in there. Of course, the OP can mention about his wife working. I never said it would be wrong.

I believe the OP was asking what they should put in that part of their application and i was just sharing what we did. Sorry if this isn’t what you were expecting but this is what worked for our application and I just wanted to help.

aby08

Oct 8, 2019
Hi! Yes, OP can say that too, of course. And no one is denying anything. I didn’t say that to deny my partner of working. We chose not to mention that to support my SOP. I think, it’s a given already that she’ll be working—considering we have applied for work permit. It’s the reason why we didn’t mention it anymore but concentrated more on how she could support me emotionally.

Again, I was just sharing what worked for us. I wasn’t saying that this should be what the OP or anyone would do. Thank you.

aby08

Oct 8, 2019

I’m sorry.

This should be “You can choose not to mention about your wife working.” It’s still up to the OP if they want to mention about his wife working in their application.

Alpha_Wolf

Jun 9, 2021
Hey. My wife is yet to receive her permit but let me be clear about one point. SOWP means your wife is eligible and willing to work. Why cut corners around this or try to be sly?
Avoid those advices. That’s my free advice.

Mention togetherness and morale boost all you want. It is not mandatory to mention she wants to work, but well that’s quite clear she wants to.

My only advice comes again- Be natural. Don’t give out any bad information upfront, okay but don’t hide your true intentions too (where there is already a clear legal way for that to happen).

Feel free to follow up. All the best!!!

biotechsun

Jul 28, 2021
Thank you all for your valuable comments. I'm planning to include her work experience and education listed in the letter so that the VO will have an idea about her background and I'm mentioning that she bell be moral support to me during my study and most importantly she will be taking care of our kids while I'm studying. Also, mentioning the importance of both the parents presence during the kids' development. Hope this will justify the purpose.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear members
I'm applying through SDS for my study permit. Application of my wife's open work permit and my kids' study permits are processed together with my SDS application.
There is a document required to be uploaded under Supporting document for my wife. " Purpose of Travel - Other (required)"
Explanation shows like this
"You must submit proof that you are coming to Canada for a temporary visit.
Examples of what you can provide as proof:
A scanned copy of:
  • Your flight ticket departing Canada,
  • Your travel itinerary (e.g. places you will visit or stay, such as hotel booking),
  • Proof of a medical appointment."
Since she will be accompanying me and I'm going for a 2-year study, non of the above is appropriate

kindly advise what need to upload here!

Thank you
For the SOWP given covid I would stress that she is wanting to remain in Canada for the duration of your study permit. We have seen others be denied if there is concern they are only coming for a few months. Extra funds to support your family is actually an important part to include. You should include proof that your family has the funds to support yourselves even if you and your spouse don’t work.