+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse OWP based on my PGWP - AD Processing Times

Dani2772

Feb 16, 2014
Hello Guys,

I am currently on a PGWP in Calgary, Alberta and my wife is in Dubai. I want her to get her here based on my PGWP and want her to apply for an OWP. My questions is as follows:

1. CIC website says 7months processing time for AD but ADCIC website says 4 to 6 months. Which one is true? Since its a spousal work permit is it any faster

2. If I meet all the requirements, are there chances of refusal?

3. I recently got a new passport and applied for a new work permit with a slight change in date of birth (1 month) based on my birth certificate. Should I wait for the new one to come back or should I just apply already and later include it with my wife's online application when i get it?

Please respond, I need to get this done ASAP!

Thank You
Regards
DM

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
1. CIC as well as ADCIC should both update their processing times on a regular basis. It is likely that Abu Dhabi one is lazy in that (i at least saw that in case of my home country vs generic CIC website) so i would say 7 months is more realistic. Moreover, this is a close difference and your application could take either duration depending upon other factors. So i won't bother much. SOWP is not faster in any way. You might get lucky and could have a very good case over all and get processed sooner. I am from Pakistan where average processing times are around 8-9 months. Still for people with good profiles and established skilled jobs in Canada, usually SOWP / work permits are issued in 3 months or so.

2. There is always a possibility of refusal. However, if you have a good NOC 0, A or B job and all docs are in order, plus your spouse has a good profile, it is less likely to get a refusal. Important thing is, you need to attach your PGWP, Proof that you are currently employed and your job falls in NOC 0,A or B. I cant stress this last thing enough. I have seen refusals saying you do not qualify for exemption from LMO because they weren't sure the spouse in Canada is on a Skilled job. Adding proof of income (recent pay stub) should help.

3. The last one is confusing. PGWP is not renewed in general and is issued only once. Moreover, you would change your DOB in CIC records. Any way since wp inside Canada shouldn't take more than a month to process, i would advise to wait till it is clean. Else it would just complicate / delay your SOWP application.