+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse owp application before student landing in Canada

NightShade93

Mar 17, 2022
Hello,
I have my study permit approved and will be going to Canada in coming August.
I intend to apply for my spouse for his open work permit.

I’ve heard that I don’t have to wait till I land in Canada to do that. Is this true?

If so, I have stated in my family information form that my spouse won’t be accompanying. So if I apply for him before I land in Canada, can they reject me at the airport?

EssKay1234

Oct 25, 2022
Hello,

I’ve heard that I don’t have to wait till I land in Canada to do that. Is this true?

If so, I have stated in my family information form that my spouse won’t be accompanying. So if I apply for him before I land in Canada, can they reject me at the airport?
Well the study permit is allotted at the port of entry and it has the duration mentioned. If you have not applied at first with her then it’s recommended you apply for her once you get your study permit after landing in Canada. Cause the OWP has the similar duration as of your SP and it is uploaded in the documents to apply.

NightShade93

Mar 17, 2022
Well the study permit is allotted at the port of entry and it has the duration mentioned. If you have not applied at first with her then it’s recommended you apply for her once you get your study permit after landing in Canada. Cause the OWP has the similar duration as of your SP and it is uploaded in the documents to apply.
Understood. Thank you for clarifying.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

It is fine to apply for the OWP now from your home country. It won’t impact your approval. It can take many months to process and OWP isn’t guaranteed so would be best to apply as soon as possible.