+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse owp after MPNP nomination

liadostewart

Jul 17, 2018
Good day,

My wife got nominated by Manitoba for permanent residence with me as a dependent on the application. Can I apply for an open work permit based on her nomination? She works in a class C job type so I could not apply before. She has a work permit valid to September 2019

If so what will I need to submit in the application? Is a copy of the nomination letter all i need along with her work permit ?

Thanks in advance

olxandr

Sep 22, 2015
You are eligible. My spouse submitted, my wp, nomination letter, snapshot of my application at mycic where her name can be seen as a dependent. Also marriage certificate etc
  • For spouses or common-law partners of provincial nominee class (PNC) applicants, the spouse or common-law partner is eligible for an open work permit for the duration of the work permit held by the principal PNC applicant, irrespective of the skill level of the principal PNC applicant’s occupation.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html

Reactions: liadostewart

liadostewart

Jul 17, 2018
You are eligible. My spouse submitted, my wp, nomination letter, snapshot of my application at mycic where her name can be seen as a dependent. Also marriage certificate etc
  • For spouses or common-law partners of provincial nominee class (PNC) applicants, the spouse or common-law partner is eligible for an open work permit for the duration of the work permit held by the principal PNC applicant, irrespective of the skill level of the principal PNC applicant’s occupation.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html
Thanks allot for the reply, you have been very helpful. Do you think it matters if I request a letter of support from the province? I do not want to leave anything out that might help my case. I have been denied a TRV twice and a study visa once, I just want to be extra careful with any future application.

olxandr

Sep 22, 2015
Well my wife had 4 TRV and one open work permit refusals while I was a student and worked in Manitoba. So no matter what we tried, there was no luck. Then I had a conversation with 2 immigration lawyers here in Manitoba and the first lawyer said she hadn't had any TRV refusal after a nomination, but I didn't specify from her what would the miracle reason on that. While talking with another lawyer, he exlained that cic can refuse anyway but they have an internal rule that eliminates the most common reasons of neligibility for nominated from a province, such as: assets, purpose of visit, travel history, etc can't be considered anymore. So I assume the only reasons left are: security and doubtful ties with spouse. In our case after the nomination we had gathered all paperwork in 3 weeks and mailed it all to the Sydney office for the pr application. After another week we applied for a TRV in Ukraine. You can ask why not OWP. Well simply because processing time is either 8 days or two months, so decided to apply OWP later from within Canada. So we applied and I couldn't believe that after 4 years and 5 refusals they granted that stupid visa in 2 weeks, till the passport expiry 2025 lol.
Now to the TRV details. First of all we included the nomination certificate, it didn't include my spouse's name. So I called the nomination officer that processed my application at MPNP, and she let me know that they stopped inluding dependants' names. I was a bit confused and asked how we can prove to cic that my wife was nominated with me in a TRV application? She said TRV is up to cic and they have nothing to do with it " Call cic"
After that conversation with my spouse we decided, ok lets apply for a trv with what we've got. So from me, we included the nomination certificate, my work permit, letter of employment, last 3 paystabs, bank statement and I believe that's all. From her was an employment letter, confirmation of a paid vacation time for the employer and bank statement with just 3000$. Probably we included some other documents, but nothing critical or specific. So after applying online, in a couple days "additional documents" changed from"no additional documents required" to "we are reviewing the additional documents you provided", though we had never seen it in previous applications, so I believe they were reviewing the mpnp certificate.
In the explanation letter we wrote that she just wants to come MB to spend a vacation with me, travel for a bit here, and start making some research about her future home, then go back Ukraine and start preparing to move.
My friend had a similar situation. His spouse had 2 student and 1owp refusals, then got her TRV after his nomination.
Regarding OWP, my and my friend's spouses got their wp in Canada no problem. We included the same documents just on top added a snapshot from our pr applications as by that time we both got AOR.
Not sure if its better for you to apply for a OWP or trv, shouldn't by any difference anymore, but this is my experience.
Good luck :)

Reactions: liadostewart

liadostewart

Jul 17, 2018
I Applied and got a TRV, then applied for OWP when I got to Canada. I do not think you can apply for your wife OWP while your MPNP is in process because you have not gotten a decision made on your application as yet.

olxandr

Sep 22, 2015
Did you get TRV/OWP? @liadostewart

@olxandr - Can I apply for My wife's OWP when MPNP application is in processing?
Depending on your case ATM. If your job is NOC B or higher, then yes you can but if your wife is currently not in Canada and/or not form a visa exempt country then the chances are low that the WP will be approved.
If your NOC is C or lower, then no you can't and you'll need to wait till you get the nomination form the province, which is usually 2-6 months in Manitoba.

Parmvir kaur gill

Oct 27, 2018
Hello
I got nominated by Manitoba and i work under Noc C. I was unmarried at the time i got my nomination which was last year. So my husband was not my dependent on my nomination letter. Would i be eligible to apply for his open work permit if i work under Noc c. Can anybody respond please. Very urgent. Thanks

Zelong

Jun 27, 2017
Thank you for posting this topic. Recently, we just got her 1st SOWP refusal letter and she has been refused for TRV 3 times in the last 5 years, I just got my OINP and have received federal AOR, I guess I will try TRV again.

I had her SOWP applied before I got my nomination, which is stupid and I spent 4k on the lawyer, and their efficiency is unbelievable low since they started the case, it took them 9 months to prepare, apply, and got the refusal letter. I gave everything instantly. Now I don't believe them.

timzzy

Star Member
Aug 3, 2018
Thank you for posting this topic. Recently, we just got her 1st SOWP refusal letter and she has been refused for TRV 3 times in the last 5 years, I just got my OINP and have received federal AOR, I guess I will try TRV again.

I had her SOWP applied before I got my nomination, which is stupid and I spent 4k on the lawyer, and their efficiency is unbelievable low since they started the case, it took them 9 months to prepare, apply, and got the refusal letter. I gave everything instantly. Now I don't believe them.
Did CIC approve your TRV?

Zelong

Jun 27, 2017
Did CIC approve your TRV?
Hey, Timzzy, ya, I got the email of approval last Friday. My wife mailed her passport to one of the offices in China, but she hasn't got it back yet. You have the same issue? I understand this is really a painful issue, cause me and my wife we waited exact 5 years since I came to Canada in 2014. I spent like thousands of dollars on this, 4000CAD for lawyer fee plus other failed application and she traveled to many different countries to get the stamp in the past 2 years. And we were talking this, I said she has almost been to all the good countries in this world, and I only have been to one country which is Canada.

Zelong

Jun 27, 2017
I already applied for OWP. Do you think it will be a problem? I added my provincial nomination letter to my application.
If I am the officer, I would definitely give you the thing. But I really don't quite understand their process. I didn't apply for her working permit cause it is 6 weeks, I am totally losing my patience, tbh.

JohnRich30

May 26, 2016
Hi everyone.

My spouse got nominated by the province of Manitoba.
Am I allowed to switch my Study Permit for an OWP based on my spouse’s pnp nomination?

Thank you!!