+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse owp after MPNP nomination

azuredragon

Star Member
Oct 10, 2018
I already applied for OWP. Do you think it will be a problem? I added my provincial nomination letter to my application.
Hi,

Did you get your OWP? Did you apply online or through paper? I am already nominated and sent my PR application last February. I am planning to let my wife apply for OWP. She has some apprehensions though for she was refused twice (2x) for Work permit before.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mohit5591

Jun 29, 2019
You are eligible. My spouse submitted, my wp, nomination letter, snapshot of my application at mycic where her name can be seen as a dependent. Also marriage certificate etc
  • For spouses or common-law partners of provincial nominee class (PNC) applicants, the spouse or common-law partner is eligible for an open work permit for the duration of the work permit held by the principal PNC applicant, irrespective of the skill level of the principal PNC applicant’s occupation.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html
Please help me i am nominated by province but still they refused saying job noc code is C help me please reple me

Mohit5591

Jun 29, 2019
Well my wife had 4 TRV and one open work permit refusals while I was a student and worked in Manitoba. So no matter what we tried, there was no luck. Then I had a conversation with 2 immigration lawyers here in Manitoba and the first lawyer said she hadn't had any TRV refusal after a nomination, but I didn't specify from her what would the miracle reason on that. While talking with another lawyer, he exlained that cic can refuse anyway but they have an internal rule that eliminates the most common reasons of neligibility for nominated from a province, such as: assets, purpose of visit, travel history, etc can't be considered anymore. So I assume the only reasons left are: security and doubtful ties with spouse. In our case after the nomination we had gathered all paperwork in 3 weeks and mailed it all to the Sydney office for the pr application. After another week we applied for a TRV in Ukraine. You can ask why not OWP. Well simply because processing time is either 8 days or two months, so decided to apply OWP later from within Canada. So we applied and I couldn't believe that after 4 years and 5 refusals they granted that stupid visa in 2 weeks, till the passport expiry 2025 lol.
Now to the TRV details. First of all we included the nomination certificate, it didn't include my spouse's name. So I called the nomination officer that processed my application at MPNP, and she let me know that they stopped inluding dependants' names. I was a bit confused and asked how we can prove to cic that my wife was nominated with me in a TRV application? She said TRV is up to cic and they have nothing to do with it " Call cic"
After that conversation with my spouse we decided, ok lets apply for a trv with what we've got. So from me, we included the nomination certificate, my work permit, letter of employment, last 3 paystabs, bank statement and I believe that's all. From her was an employment letter, confirmation of a paid vacation time for the employer and bank statement with just 3000$. Probably we included some other documents, but nothing critical or specific. So after applying online, in a couple days "additional documents" changed from"no additional documents required" to "we are reviewing the additional documents you provided", though we had never seen it in previous applications, so I believe they were reviewing the mpnp certificate.
In the explanation letter we wrote that she just wants to come MB to spend a vacation with me, travel for a bit here, and start making some research about her future home, then go back Ukraine and start preparing to move.
My friend had a similar situation. His spouse had 2 student and 1owp refusals, then got her TRV after his nomination.
Regarding OWP, my and my friend's spouses got their wp in Canada no problem. We included the same documents just on top added a snapshot from our pr applications as by that time we both got AOR.
Not sure if its better for you to apply for a OWP or trv, shouldn't by any difference anymore, but this is my experience.
Good luck :)
Please reply me am passing from same boat need your help

Mohit5591

Jun 29, 2019
Am sk provincial nominee already applied for pr and have clised work permit with company for more than 2 years before i was a student and naw i got married and applied for my spouse owp but it got refused saying my job is in C category but this dosent applies to me i have not added nomina

Mohit5591

Jun 29, 2019
I am confused what to select in question where it says what kind of work permit you are applying , there is no otion for spouse of provincial nominee.

Also is it imoortant to add provincial nominee cert if even that is expired and i have already applied for pr

olxandr

Sep 22, 2015
I am confused what to select in question where it says what kind of work permit you are applying , there is no otion for spouse of provincial nominee.

Also is it imoortant to add provincial nominee cert if even that is expired and i have already applied for pr
A nomination certificate is a very important part of an OWP application even if the certificate is expired.
Is your spouse in Canada? Have you notified SINP office about your marriage? Have you received an aor? Have you added your spouse to the PR application?

Mohit5591

Jun 29, 2019
No i have not notified to sinp office about this
But am going to send forms for her by tomarrow for pr application
Amd yes i have received aor (a confermation that my paper alllication have been recived my ircc.

Mohit5591

Jun 29, 2019
Rather than nomination letter what else i have to select like there is everywhere option for spouse of skilled worker no option for provincial nominee

Mohit5591

Jun 29, 2019
And where to upload nomination letter and aor receipt here is no option so which place will be best here in client more information

olxandr

Sep 22, 2015
And where to upload nomination letter and aor receipt here is no option so which place will be best here in client more information
You can upload all additional docs in the client information and I think you should include there at least but not limited to: your current work permit, expired nomination letter, a screenshot of the aor, probably a couple of recent paystubs just to prove you still fulfill the nomination requirements by working in the province. I also included a screenshot of my pr application from the cic account as my wife's name was listed there as a dependant, but probably you won't see your spouse's name in your account until after the additional docs are processed.
Regarding the owp application, with all honesty, it's a mystery form me what you better choose in the questionnaire "What type of work permit do you want to apply for?" as the questions have completely changed since the last time my wife applied for an owp. I tried choosing "A work permit for provincial nominee certificate holder" but in that case, too many unwanted docs are required such as provincial support letter, cv, employment contract, etc.
I would suggest contacting CIC help desk, but don't expect them to answer your question as quite frankly it depends on the competence of the representative you will interact with, and ofter they are clueless and refer you to the cic website.

Also, if your spouse is not from a visa-exempt country you can always apply for a visitor visa as usually it's processed way quicker than a work permit and then figure out the rest from inside Canada. But if your spouse is from a visa-exempt country then even easier, you can apply for an owp on the border, just have all papers proving eligibility for an owp with you http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=171&top=17

olxandr

Sep 22, 2015
What about cv resume and support letter from province do i have to upload something there????
Well, I have already told you that unfortunately, I don't know what to choose in the "What type of work permit do you want to apply for?" question drop-down menu. I would assume better to select "A work permit for a spouse. common-law partner or child of a skilled worker or international student" though it's not your case. But if you select that answer then the list of required docs is reasonable and you can add an explanation letter with all details. But that is just my guess. When my spouse applied, questions were different and more straightforward. So better call cic