+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class Biometrics?

Esmee178

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Hi everyone,

At this moment I'm about to send out the application but there's one thing that confuses me.
I live in Canada with my husband right now and for that reason I don't have to give biometrics but I also want to apply for an Open Work Permit and when I check the application for work permit inside Canada it says I have to give my biometrics. So which one is it? I don't want to cause delay because of this.

Sarahannclarke5

Sep 19, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
I have spoken with quite a few people about this.
Their experiences so far have been that although the website and instructions state that even if you have had biometrics done within the last 10 years for a visa, you will still need to do them again for the pr app. HOWEVER, many people have had their visa app biometrics used and NOT had to redo them for PR app. You can have biometrics done at a port of entry but I am pretty sure that's only for workers and students (may be wrong).
So, in my experience, they wont need to do them again if you have had them done in the last 10 years for a trv. HOWEVER, if they send you instructions telling you to do them, they will let you know where to go do them. A little confusing, hope it helped. Cheers

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

At this moment I'm about to send out the application but there's one thing that confuses me.
I live in Canada with my husband right now and for that reason I don't have to give biometrics but I also want to apply for an Open Work Permit and when I check the application for work permit inside Canada it says I have to give my biometrics. So which one is it? I don't want to cause delay because of this.
Those applying to change their status in Canada are currently exempt from biometrics.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/identity-management/biometrics/exemptions.html

Esmee178

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Thanks both for the information. I just sent my application out and paid for biometrics as well to avoid delays. For my application for PR it said Im exempt from biometrics but for the work visa it said I have to give biometrics. I never had to give my biometrics by the way.
Now I hope I didnt forget anything. Fingers crossed.

Thatguy23

Feb 28, 2019
Hey @
Thanks both for the information. I just sent my application out and paid for biometrics as well to avoid delays. For my application for PR it said Im exempt from biometrics but for the work visa it said I have to give biometrics. I never had to give my biometrics by the way.
Now I hope I didnt forget anything. Fingers crossed.
Hey.. did you get to know if the biometrics fee was required. I am in the same boat. Applying PR for my wife who is in Canada and applying for open work permit too. Please share your experience. Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey @

Hey.. did you get to know if the biometrics fee was required. I am in the same boat. Applying PR for my wife who is in Canada and applying for open work permit too. Please share your experience. Thanks!
Biometrics are not required for inland apps.

Esmee178

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
Hey @

It wasn't required :)

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Hi everyone,

This was my EXACT question I had today! I'm in the same situation. Inland so no biometrics needed but Work Permit application says I do. So just to clarify. You DO NOT need to submit biometrics for the work permit if filing an inland PR application?

Esmee178

Star Member
Jan 23, 2019
This was my EXACT question I had today! I'm in the same situation. Inland so no biometrics needed but Work Permit application says I do. So just to clarify. You DO NOT need to submit biometrics for the work permit if filing an inland PR application?
Nope no biometrics needed at all :D

Reactions: CanUK333