+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open workpermit of International student

Annamusam

Nov 17, 2020
I wish you get your approval soon though what I heard was they are giving less priority for SOWP applied separately unless their work experience are related to shortage occupation (like health care realted .. etc). But nowadays IRCC is really unpredictable so this could be changed.

BTW did you apply before your husband leave to Canada ?

did you apply on May or June because you said you applied after your husband got approval last month and also May 18. Got confusedo_O

Hey mine is also same case. I got SP first and he applied later. we both are still in India.. So are you saying SOWP applied seperately takes time? I am really worried thinking I should leave India without him.

shinoyvj

Star Member
May 21, 2021
Canada
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
01-03-2021
Med's Request
09-03-2021
Med's Done....
16-01-2021
Normally it won’t but due to COVID and application backlogs they are prioritising.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Normally it won’t but due to COVID and application backlogs they are prioritising.
Even before covid it was pretty common for study permit to be approved before SOWP. As you said due to backlogs and because of closures due to 2nd wave in India the focus is to try and get as many study permits processed as soon as possible before September versus applications for family members of international students. Approvals for families of international students are never guaranteed. You have 2 options: either be prepared to come to Canada not knowing whether your wife will be able to join you and when or ask your school if deferral is possible.

dbliss93

Star Member
Mar 14, 2018
Hello guys! :)

Can you please provide me with some clarity: One can only apply for an open work permit for the spouse if the main applicant received his/her study permit -- correct?

Thank you! :)

Annamusam

Nov 17, 2020
Hello guys! :)

Can you please provide me with some clarity: One can only apply for an open work permit for the spouse if the main applicant received his/her study permit -- correct?

Thank you! :)
I am still in India with a visa and port of entry letter. But, my husband applied SoWP with my visa details and Port of entry letter

Soham AKhani

Nov 17, 2020
Hello,
I am in Canada on a spouse open work permit. My wife's study permit and my work permit will expire at end of December. I am doing my field job which is NOC A. Can I extend my work permit based on my NOC A-level job? For extending my work permit, is it mandatory for my wife to have NOC A,B or O level job?
Thanks

ranmay

May 3, 2018
Did anyone in this thread apply from India? I am an international student in Canada. My wife applied for Spouse Open Work Permit on April 14, 2021. I am starting to worry after seeing posts saying that the timeline provided in the website is inaccurate and only applicable to health care workers. I really want to know the timeline for applications made from India. Any reply is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Rajesh.
Wife in canada, I Applied for sowp on June, july 2nd biometrics Done, waiting for further updates.

Reactions: RumezaJ

Swetakuakdia

Jul 2, 2021
Hello, I was wondering if someone can help me here
I’m helping my sister to apply for spouse open WP. We have registered for gckey and when login it keeps getting back to home page. Anyone had any trouble like this? Any tips will be appreciated