+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

REGP

Mar 20, 2017
Hello,
I am new to the forum and been searching for my inquiry and can´t find it, maybe is been asked before, but here it is:
My husband has an study pemit, he hasn´t yet applied for his work permit. Can I apply for my SOWP just with a copy of his study permit?
Thank you.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
REGP said:
Hello,
I am new to the forum and been searching for my inquiry and can´t find it, maybe is been asked before, but here it is:
My husband has an study pemit, he hasn´t yet applied for his work permit. Can I apply for my SOWP just with a copy of his study permit?
Thank you.
If he is enrolled in a full time degree program, and you guys have enough funds to cover your stay for at least a year (in addition to your husband's study cum living expense, then yes you can apply.

In practice this would require you to be a strong applicant i.e. have a good education and work experience that might be useful in Canada. This is not a written rule but the point of approving a spouse to live with an existing student is simply when the spouse seems to have a contributing profile.

Obviously spouse's who don't work / or have past education / work experience do also get SOWPs. However, in those cases, usually the principal husband is not a student and rather holds a strong skilled job

Vikku

Mar 20, 2017
Hello Chandan,

My case also same like urs my wife applied for Student visa last week under SPP. She got admission from Centennial College.

Can you please share how u applied SOWP and documents required.

Awaiting for ur reply.

Graced08

Mar 21, 2017
asdfgh123 said:
Dear All,
I am writing this post understanding the lack of knowledge we all feel in this regards and the pain you have to take to grab all that knowledge.
I am writing all the details you will need for Spouse open work permit for international students. Wink I am a full time international student here in Canada. I came here in Sept 2016 intake. Just after landing in Canada in September 2016, i applied for open work permit for my spouse. I got married in 2015 and just after coming here i applied online with all these docs.
Applicant's docs (My spouse):
Passport
Highest education degree
Marriage Certificate
Marriage Picture (For assuring marriage was genuine)
Experience Letter from current employer (If working somewhere in India or your home country)
Medical Examination

My documents as sponsor:
Passport
Study Permit
College offer letter
College id card(To prove that i am successfully enrolled and studying full time)
Family info Form (Can download from CIC website)

I applied online with a fee of CAD 255 and created and uploaded all docs online.
No attestation required, no hassle at all.

These are the only docs i provided and with the grace of god, she got her visa in a month. Cheesy In the first week of this month she got her visa stamped.

All the people who are tying for same, feel free to shoot me a mail if any doubts are there. If you follow the correct procedure, this is really very easy and non hectic procedure to get your loved ones here with u.
All the best to all. Grin Grin
Please i need your help. How can i contact you?

Vikku

Mar 20, 2017
Hello,

I have some doubts. We don't need to show any funds available?

My wife got student visa.She will be gng by April End.

Please help me with the process? How to start the process?

Awaiting for your reply

priyabhee

Sep 23, 2015
Vikku said:
Hello,

I have some doubts. We don't need to show any funds available?

My wife got student visa.She will be gng by April End.

Please help me with the process? How to start the process?

Awaiting for your reply
If she is having student visa ,you need to show proof of funds for sure and even your wife should show funds for her education and stay for both of you .

jsghai

Star Member
Feb 9, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Seniors!!!
Please help us, we need your guidance.
SOWP applied early Jan completed 76 days today but no update on file.
Is there ANY way we can contact them ?

priyabhee

Sep 23, 2015
jsghai said:
Seniors!!!
Please help us, we need your guidance.
SOWP applied early Jan completed 76 days today but no update on file.
Is there ANY way we can contact them ?
Hi jsghai ..
If you call CIC the auto recording message says the processing time now is 117 days.
I hope you will get some good news before April 1st week
Don't worry.
And I think they are starting picking up applications..It's your turn next wait

paul234

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2017
Doc's Request.
03-05-17
Med's Request
03-05-17
Interview........
03-05-17
Passport Req..
...waiting...
priyabhee said:
Hi jsghai ..
If you call CIC the auto recording message says the processing time now is 117 days.
Don't worry.
That 117 days is for paper application. For online application its around 34 days. Again both the timelines are for applications made in Canada. For country specific timeline, we need to check processing times. (which says 10 weeks, and ppl are still waiting to hear back even after 11-12 weeks.)

jsghai

Star Member
Feb 9, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
paul234 said:
That 117 days is for paper application. For online application its around 34 days. Again both the timelines are for applications made in Canada. For country specific timeline, we need to check processing times. (which says 10 weeks, and ppl are still waiting to hear back even after 11-12 weeks.)
Paul, do u think filing application from india or canada make any diff in processing time?

My both friends got their stuff in 2 months they both applied from canada.
I applied from india and still waiting for it :)

Shaldar

Mar 16, 2017
priyabhee said:
Hi jsghai ..
Don't worry.
Could you please help with the CIC number here?

sam_5281

Nov 11, 2015
jsghai said:
Paul, do u think filing application from india or canada make any diff in processing time?

My both friends got their stuff in 2 months they both applied from canada.
I applied from india and still waiting for it :)
I am in 17 week still waiting for decision. it doesnot matter where u applied from, I applied from canada as ur file goes to new delhi for processing if ur spouse is in India.

Have patience and thats what we can do.

There is no sense of calling them and sending CSE enquiry as it will slow up ur process and nothing gonna happen.

These processing times varies and one last thing its matter of luck.

paul234

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2017
Doc's Request.
03-05-17
Med's Request
03-05-17
Interview........
03-05-17
Passport Req..
...waiting...
sam_5281 said:
I am in 17 week still waiting for decision. it doesnot matter where u applied from, I applied from canada as ur file goes to new delhi for processing if ur spouse is in India.

Have patience and thats what we can do.

There is no sense of calling them and sending CSE enquiry as it will slow up ur process and nothing gonna happen.

These processing times varies and one last thing its matter of luck.
17 weeks?? For SOWP? Meaning you applied around Nov end and still haven't heard back? I'm asking coz we haven't been hearing from any applicants from Nov or Dec lately about their application not being processed. So I assumed 2016 applications have been seen to and they are waiting to start on the 2017 set.

Elena989

Mar 22, 2017
Hello,

My boyfriend has a study permit that expires on August 31, 2017. Both of us applied for a study permit last year separately, but i was refused 3 times. We did not consider the common-law partnership as an option because in our country there is no such thing and also both of us wanted to study so we decided to apply separately.
I plan on applying for an open work permit as a common-law partner. We already signed the statutory declaration of common-law union when he came back home for a visit a couple of months ago. Also, we have a lease agreements for 2 years that proves that we have been living together. I have a lot of photos of travels together, plane tickets, insurance policies, power of attorney of his bank account and I have more than enough funds on my bank statement.
My refusal for study permit according to the GCMS notes was because college diploma is a step back for me because I have University degree and because they were not convinced that I would leave the country upon the authorized period of stay.
My question is, what are my chances? Any advice is appreciated.