+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
error on officers part. if we re apply we r not going to wait like idiots for another 2 months thats total rubbish then. my wifes visa will expire in march n she has to apply for student extension already in dec. Already YMCA suggested to apply for baby wen my wife will extend not now. so similar case will happen for me if i will re apply it will waste a lot of time still.

PaulaG

Dec 26, 2015
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
16-05-2016
Med's Done....
w/ app
Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is a repeat question, I'm just on my (soon ending) lunch break and no time to search all 200+ pages of this thread, hoping someone can answer.

If you've applied for an OWP as an extension of a previous work permit and didn't include the $100 OWP fee, then CIC emails you requesting it - is this indication that your application is approved in principle and only pending this fee?

Has anyone been requested to provide this fee (where not sent from the start) then been denied the OWP?

Thanks!

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
im not applying for reconsideration i give up buddy. u need to submit ur application again with ur documents providing evidence of new that they will consider.

M

MayorGrom

Question. I am not married to my gf yet but we planned to do it in September. I understand that if we are married for less than 3 years there is a high chance of refusal.

Is it possible to come to Canada and marry there once my gf gets her student visa and then apply for SOWP from Canada?

OWP2015Dec

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
yadav said:
im not applying for reconsideration i give up buddy. u need to submit ur application again with ur documents providing evidence of new that they will consider.
Hi Yadav,

I am sorry to hear about your refusal.

However, based on the reasons that you have noted, it appears that you may easily be able to address them and request a reconsideration.

There's a wealth of information on these forums that will help guide you. Have a look at this post on this very thread from few months ago.

Ultimately, it's your call but do think through the matter in its entirety and take a 'big picture' view.

vagaur said:
Hi Everyone

I just want to share my case of SOWP. I applied for my spouse SOWP on the basis of my PNP I have NOC C job and post grad work permit. My spouse got rejection within a month stating reason Spouse NOC which was an error( as the rules got changed after the rejection on 9th november). I sent an email to program manager at New Delhi in India and we received an email for passport request they have changed the status to open. So guys never lose hope it was our 3rd time that we applied for SOWP and this time we got it approved after the rejection.
Timeline

Applied online : 7th october 2015
Medical Passed : 10th October 2015
Rejection : 4th November ( Reason was error in law )
Sent email for reconsideration : 13th November program manager Delhi India ( Ms. Shannon Fraser )
Got file reopen : 9th Dec
Passport request : 9th Dec
Passport Submit : 9th Dec
Passport dispatched : 6th Jan
Online update : Approved 6th Jan
Passport Received : 7th Jan

This discussion group has helped me a lot.Thanks for the support and your views.

Vagaur

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
Hi OWP2015Dec,

lawyer already said she can apply for reconsideration but she said same processing time. now are we sure cic will issue a visa still? the reason wifes study finishes in nov n her visa expires in march if my appication take another month or 2 her visa duration is almost a good reason for cic to deny sayin her visa will expire soon. im not sure plus its mentioned under this enrolment reason rpoof of funds.

regarding that my brother n my uncle r supporting her financially with her studies basically they have sponsored on paper while we all r doing our bit to financially aid her during her study. then they said personal assets and finanacial status. for that my wife showed 2.5 k cad and i showed 3lakh in my account here which was all but sufficient for lawyer already plus i gave my salary slips also. and all the property papers to show family assets. now lawyer says if u can show some more money then five financials if not she will just re apply for reconsideration by submitting all the papers again. n she even asked for 100$ govt fee.

we can show more finances right now as we r also going thru a crunch my dads retired he survives on rental income and he was also taking care of our agricultural land which he stopped for 2 months due to his sickness and by the time hes well to start my grandfather has taken over n he wont let my dad do it. so they dnt have a lot of income now. plus i only make 35 k which i try to save so in max i can only show around 1.5 lakh and my wife can show max of 2000 cad as every 2 months my uncle tranfsers her that money. if the previous document given was not helpful then will this new statement with lesser amount b of any help.

this is the worst of time we r going thru, yesterday the television almost fell on by child luckily she didnt get hurt very badly and there r just way too many expenses here. parents n all supported for 1 yr study so we can both b in canada work n save for second year. n i dnt think with such problems arising my wife can study a second year or even secure a job in noc 0, a or b. she needs to secure her nursing license for that n without that noc thing cic wil not give me a visa either. so either way we r messed up our future has become dicy n messy. all the plan to give our child a better future has screwed up.

OWP2015Dec

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Hi Yadav,

Sorry to hear this. I hope your child is well and remains in good health. Sometimes, it feels that there's trouble / obstacle at every step. However, the way to overcome those may be to cross one hurdle at a time.

Now I understand the urgency you were expressing.

It appears that you have already spent a significant sum of money and your wife may be able to complete her second year of your studies if you are able to reach there.

I suggest you have a frank discussion with your lawyer and detail your circumstances to them and ask for a clear cut recommendation. You may be able to show the agricultural land and the property that your father has rented out as personal asset.

Perhaps also reach out to fkl for his comments.

There may be options, sometimes one just needs to explore them carefully. Also remember that when one door closes, another opens.

Good luck Yadav!

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
OWP2015Dec,

Thanks for understanding. We already gave documents of 4 properties in Delhi already and that too all located in South Delhi, Saket. It's a good locality and that shld already work well for assets scenario. Obviously in India property remains on the parents name until they are old so I have none on my name but i did offer this to the lawyer before also as my father could make a power of attorney and transfer the at least 2 properties on my name. But she said it wasn't required. So basically we did our homework properly yet we still failed.

Even my employer can offer letter stating that I will work for the company even if I am there which should give cic more security about finances. Also they would be happy if i can join back the company on return to India. I offered this all to the lawyer but she was happy with the salary slips already and bank statement.

I'm cannot understane where i'm wrong.

OWP2015Dec

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
yadav said:
OWP2015Dec,

Thanks for understanding. We already gave documents of 4 properties in Delhi already and that too all located in South Delhi, Saket. It's a good locality and that shld already work well for assets scenario. Obviously in India property remains on the parents name until they are old so I have none on my name but i did offer this to the lawyer before also as my father could make a power of attorney and transfer the at least 2 properties on my name. But she said it wasn't required. So basically we did our homework properly yet we still failed.

Even my employer can offer letter stating that I will work for the company even if I am there which should give cic more security about finances. Also they would be happy if i can join back the company on return to India. I offered this all to the lawyer but she was happy with the salary slips already and bank statement.

I'm cannot understane where i'm wrong.
Hi Yadav,

Not sure if it might help, but a deed of inheritance from your parents coupled with a property value evaluation might strongly help establish your financial assets. fkl perhaps you may be able to comment.

Also, a letter from your employer stating their willingness to provide a sabbatical leave until your return from Canada may be of immense benefit as it further solidifies your financial position.

I am not sure why your lawyer declined to use these documents in the first place. It appears that while you have done all the homework, your lawyer may not have put in the required diligence. Do make sure that you communicate with your lawyer in writing that you are offering to provide the above documents to satisfy the necessary criteria of CIC. Of course, no reputed lawyer should guarantee a positive outcome, but when you put such important communication in writing and seek a written response, the lawyer will be more diligent and accountable.

Based on what you mentioned, it doesn't appear that your next application will be weaker than your previous one. In fact, it might be much stronger. But again, I'm no expert :)

Lastly, you may want to consider making a paper application this time, considering that most folks in this forum are reporting a speedy outcome to paper applications. Some have even received SOWP in a month and in one case, even a week. If required, personally go to the VFS Office and submit the application with supporting documents.

Here's a snippet of one such message from an applicant:

MUPAX said:
A very big thanks to fkl for being super active and taking time out for each specific query being thrown here. As an Indian, I appreciate the fact you have helped people irrespective of their place of origin. Not a common sight but rather should be, given that we were same folks 60 years back.

I would also like to thank folks like nshakelly, GreenHak, Ashpur88, Vishal04 etc who have replied in this thread to highlight some helpful fact at one time or the other.

I am sharing my timelines here for reference:
Visa Application Submitted @ VFS New Delhi - 11th May 2016
Application Sent to Canadian Consulate - 12th May 2016
Visa Stamped - 14th May 2016
Passport Returned (to VFS by consulate) - 17th May 2016
Passport picked up - 18th May 2016

In summary, it was a paper application for Study Permit with Coop for myself and Spouse Work Permit for my wife. I made sure that the applications went in the same docket from VFS. Docket is same folder or pouch or bag that VFS sends per application.
Got both stamped passports with respective letters of introduction in exactly a week.

We had got the medical examination done in April 2nd week and had also obtained the Police Clearance Certificates in April itself.
While I will not discuss the list of documents that i had submitted since they are already discussed before on this thread by other folks, I do recommend writing a cover letter for each application. Specially for the spouse work permit, have documents that go with your story of why she wants to work in Canada and then why return back.

All the best to genuine set of applicants (since a lot of fraudulent activities take place for this destination, the consulate is just working to keep the country's interests safe).
Thanks,
M

OWP2015Dec

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Hi Yadav, I encourage you to also look at the following posts:

mandy87 said:
Hi fkl,

Yes I have provided enough proofs for my NOC as well i have applied for AINP before marriage under Skilled worker category. Here are the docs we uploaded for SOWP

Principle applicant Proofs......

Cover Letter explaining the situation
Passport scan copy
Medical
Police clearance certificate
Digital Picture
Educational Certificates
Employment letters
Experience letters
Pay Stubs
Tax forms
Property Assesment
Affidavit from father about parental property and support during his extended stay
IELTS general test certificate with 7.5 bands

Spouse Docs(Mine)

Statutory Declaration letter
Passport copy
Job letter from Scotiabank
Reference letter from Senior Manager
Pay stubs
Tax forms
Experience letters
educational certificates

Proof of Relationship:

Marriage Certificate
Ceremony Pictures
Trip pictures
Air ticket from Calgary to Delhi
Railway ticket from Delhi to Jalandhar (Showing my husband came to pick me up from Delhi airport and we traveled together to our respective city)

Work permit outside Canada form
Family Info form
TRV form

Because of first refusal, dnt want to be over confident about it.

Thanks
Looks like they got the SOWP approval very quickly:

mandy87 said:
My Husband's Spouse Open work permit timeline:

Visa Applied for: SOWP
Application Type: Online in Canada (while spouse in India)
Medical: Upfront, attached during application submission
Submitted On: May 16, 2015
Passport Request from CIC: July 08, 2015
Passport Submitted @ VFS: July 09, 2015
Passport Received from VFS: Waiting , it is showing dispatched

Best Of Luck to Everybody
Here's the post of another person stating the documents submitted:

alijumani said:
Below are the list of documents I submitted with my wife's open work permit application onlin:

Proof of Relation:

Wedding Card
Nikkah Nama True Translation Page 1 (Notarized)
Nikkah Nama True Translation Page 2 (Notarized)
Marriage Registration Certificate (Notarized)
Birth Certificate (Notarized)
Wedding Pictures
Face Time History
Skype Communication
Airtime Transfer Receipts
Greeting Card Picture
Call Logs

Explanation letter
Annexure A: Principal Applicant

Letter of Explanation
Resume
Employment Letter
Secondary School Certificate
Higher Secondary Certificate
Bachelor of Science (BSc Honors) Certificate
Masters of Science (MSc Applied Mathematics) Mark Sheet
Police Clearance Certificate
Property Documents (PKR: 4.4 Million)
Affidavit
Bank Statement (PKR: 1.2 Million)
Bank Account Maintaining Certificate
Declaration of Assets

Annexure B:
Host Invitation Letter and supporting Documents

Host Invitation Letter
Passport Copy
TRV Copy
Postgraduate work permit copy
Diploma certificate
Employment letter
Pay slips
Canadian Bank Statement Profile (Scotia Bank) ($13,000)
Canadian Bank Account Maintaining Certificate (Scotia Bank)
Canadian Bank Statement (TD Canada Trust Bank) ($4,400)
Notice of Assessment for the year 2013

The explanation letter I enclosed with the application:

The Visa Officer
The Canadian High Commission
Diplomatic Enclave
Sector G-5
Islamabad.

Re: Application for Spouse Open Work Permit made outside Canada

Respected Honorable Visa Officer,

I, XXXXX w/o XXXXXXX holding passport number XXXXXXXX, I am applying for a Spousal Open Work Permit to Canada. I would like to join my husband, [NAME], in Canada and live with him. My husband and I got married on November 03, 2013. When he visited Pakistan during the month of October 2013, we held a traditional reception with family and friends.

My husband has been living in Canada for approximately the past three and a half years, and has completed his two years Diploma in Business Operations from Centennial College. Currently he is on postgraduate work permit valid till September 28, 2015. The purpose of my stay in Canada will be to accompany my husband and offer moral, emotional and family support.

My husband and I have combined funds of approximately $27,000. I have attached the bank statements and account-maintaining certificate from bank here in Pakistan and his personal account in Canada. This is sufficient to cover our shared living expenses for at least two year.

I have a Bachelor's in Science and a Master's degree in Applied Mathematics from XXXXX and have been working full-time as XXXXXXXX at XXXXXXXXX since April 2014. As my foremost objective to enhance my skills, increase abilities and starts career with such profession that leads me to face challenging tasks, with the opportunity for the research and development in the field of physics and mathematics. Canada is technologically far ahead of Pakistan therefore enabling me to enhance and learn techniques to implement them in the corporate world. I have attached the employment letter along with my educational documents.

I have also attached the declaration of assets report and document my immovable and moveable assets. This also includes the information about my father in law's property. The total value of this family property is approximately 4,400,000 PKR (approx. 44,000 CDN).

As is the cultural norm in Pakistan, we support our family morally and emotionally as my husband is the oldest son, it is very important for us to fulfill our duties towards our parents by returning to Pakistan in order to support and care for them in the future. In keeping with traditional family arrangements, I currently live with my husband's parents in their home; we have very strong family ties, and my husband and I fully intend to return to Pakistan to live with parents.

I am including the following information, along with the documentations, of my husband:

Name: XXXXXX
Passport #: XXXXXXXXX
Date of Birth: XXXXXXXX
Current Address: XXXXXXXXXXX
Email: XXX @ XXX.com

Please note that this is a re-application for an open work permit. My first application was rejected on May 29, 2014 stating below mentioned reasons:

• You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for your stay. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:
i. Length of proposed stay in Canada
ii. Your personal assets and financial status

My husband also ordered GCMS notes and got an actual reason of rejection. As per the online documents requirement I only submitted what was required online and did not provide ties to my country of Citizenship and financial assets as I thought it was not necessary.

This time I am enclosing additional documentations in support of my re-application for this permit, including:

• My educational certificates (Bachelor's and Master's degree in Applied Mathematics)
• My resume
• Letter from my employer
• Bank statement in Pakistan as well as my husband's bank statement in Canada
• Declaration of Assets Statement and Affidavit of my moveable and immoveable assets
• Notice of Assessment for my husband for the years of 2013
• Letter of Financial Support from my father in law Mr. XXXXXXXXXXX
• My husband's Passport, valid visa, open work permit and diploma certificate copies
• Employment letter from XXXXXXXXX (where my husband is currently working full-time) stating his job duties, which falls in skill category B and annual income.

In the end, I earnestly request you to please accept my application and allow me to accompany my husband in Canada as he cannot come here because of his job and we both misses each other so much.

Should you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact me at +XXXXXXXXXX or email me at XXXXXX @ XXXXXX.com

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX

Below is host Invitation letter from Canada:

The Visa Officer
The Canadian High Commission
Diplomatic Enclave
Sector G-5
Islamabad.

SUBJECT: Request for issuance of Spouse Open Work Permit to my wife XXXXXX

Dear Visa Officer,

This Letter is to support the Spouse Open Work Permit application of my wife. My wife, XXXXX (born XXXXXXXX) residing at XXXXXXXXX.

I came to Canada as an international student. I have completed my two years XXXXXXX from XXXXXXXX on December XXXXX. After that, I am on my 3 years of postgraduate work permit valid till XXXXXX and working full time at XXXXXXX as a XXXXXXX under skill category B (NOC 6222) and my yearly income is $XX,XXX. Being as a skilled worker my wife is eligible to apply for spouse open work permit. I would like to invite my wife to come and join me in Canada.

She has done her MSc in Applied Mathematics from XXXXXXX and currently working in XXXXXXXXX.

I have attached a copy of my passport, valid visa, work permit, diploma certificate, employment letter, last month's pay slips, notice of assessment for the year of 2013 and bank statement. My date of birth is XXXXXXX. I am residing at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. My phone number is XXXXXXX and my email address is XXXX @ XXX.com

Thanking you and looking forward to your favorable and sympathetic consideration to my wife's open work permit application.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXX

yadav

Jun 6, 2016
thanks OWP2015Dec,

i appreciate the effort you have made to help me out.I have already email the lawyer regarding all i can offer. I would definitely try to get a valuation of the property done so we can show that family assets are worthy enough for us to return and not overstay. Also the problem with my situation is i cannot show a large amount of cash in bank. but i can show them the forex statement also to support my application as i have made transfers to my wife for her tution personally. I have made 3 transfers already 5300 CAD, 7000 and 1300 CAD. They should consider all this as well so having regular salary should work for them already. I will try to ask lawyer. possibly now we have time till monday to submit the documents. but i do not wish to make a new application specially with a new fee of 255 i feel cheated already. better they take it for reconsideration with a nominal fee n open same file. i did suggest lawyer to email delhi office as its more helpful if reaches to them. i hope she will do her due work.