+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

nurzohra

Star Member
Jul 11, 2016
Hi,

I am an Indian full time university student in Canada. My husband works in Latvia, Europe (Bangladesh Citizen). We got married in May this year in my summer break in India. I came to Latvia with him for 2 months. Now I am going back to Canada. He had applied for TRV on 7th July and on 11th July got refused. Now he wants to apply for SOWP. What are the documents that is required to apply?

Thank you.

ninja1987

Jul 6, 2016
vishnuvishal said:
Hi all,

I applied SOWP online outside Canada through an attorney on March 21st. I got medical request on April 12th. And my medicals passed on April 29th. I got an email on May 6th saying that they wanted payment for my Work permit and I sent them the payment. On May 9th, 2016 I got my refusal.. Later we sent them an email asking reasons for refusal on the same day. We did not get response from for a month and half and got an email from on June 30th. Now, am preparing documents for they have requested for.. How long does it take for processing (irrespective of what the result is approval or refusal) ?
What was the reason for refusal??

Riyas Siraj

May 27, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
ITA - Apr 05, 2017
AOR Received.
05-31-2017
IELTS Request
IELTS - 8.0
Med's Done....
08-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-28-2017
@ vishnuvishal

Different processing centres seem to have different processing times nowadays.

I did paper application through VFS Bangalore. It took exactly 2 months for my processing. ( Online applications are taking longer duration )

Riyas Siraj

May 27, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
ITA - Apr 05, 2017
AOR Received.
05-31-2017
IELTS Request
IELTS - 8.0
Med's Done....
08-07-2017
Passport Req..
09-28-2017
nurzohra said:
Hi,

I am an Indian full time university student in Canada. My husband works in Latvia, Europe (Bangladesh Citizen). We got married in May this year in my summer break in India. I came to Latvia with him for 2 months. Now I am going back to Canada. He had applied for TRV on 7th July and on 11th July got refused. Now he wants to apply for SOWP. What are the documents that is required to apply?

Thank you.
The required documents vary for different cases depending on how strong you want to make your application and also if you have refusals or not.

The standard list you can find on CIC. See below for items I submitted.

Documents from applicant
Sl.No Document Details Status
1 Current Passport All pages, original passport has to be submitted to the VFS
2 Old Passports If any, all pages
3 Visa application photograph As per the specification attached
4 Highest degree certificate Photocopy
5 Employer reference letter On company’s letter head confirming your designation, employment start date. Pending
6 Pay slips Latest 3 months
7 Salary account statements Latest 3 months
Income tax returns Latest financial year
8 Medicals receipt List of panel physicians attached
9 Marriage certificate Should be issued by the registrar of marriage, state government
10 Wedding invitation Should be in English
11 Marriage photographs Minimum- 5-6 photos showing the main rituals of marriage, each photograph with respective families
12 Casual photographs Photos before or after marriage.
13 Communication Proof Voice calls, Tango, Viber, Gmail, chat, whats app history before and after marriage for the duration of separate stay.
14 Relationship declaration Self declared statement mentioning the when and how you both met, how the proposal started, development of relationship, engagement, marriage, feelings towards each other, aspects mentioning how strong you both are committed towards each other, kindly mention the events with month and year.
15 Funds requirement CAD 4000 for living expenses for initial one year. Can be in applicant’s or spouse’s accounts
16 Joint travel proofs Joint travel tickets, hotel booking and photographs
17 Information format Attached format, kindly fill it with applicant’s details and send me.
18 Property documents If any, should be in English
19 Visa fee $ 250 (subject to change at the time of submission), has to be paid at the time of submission at the VFS by cash
20 VFS service charges INR 1000 (approx) , to be paid at the VFS by cash
Documents from Spouse (Canada)
1 Current passport All pages with stamps
2 Work permit visa Photocopy
Degree certificate Photocopy
3 Employer reference letter On the company's letterhead mentioning your NOC code and Skill level (A, O or B) from employer along with the details of your current designation, roles and responsibilities, salary , employment start date
4 Pay slips Latest 3 months
5 Salary account statements Latest 3 months
6 Income tax returns Latest financial year
7 Invitation letter Template attached
8 Personal bank account statements For latest 3 months
9 Proof of accommodation Tenancy agreement or utility bill

nurzohra

Star Member
Jul 11, 2016
Riyas Siraj said:
The required documents vary for different cases depending on how strong you want to make your application and also if you have refusals or not.

The standard list you can find on CIC. See below for items I submitted.

Documents from applicant
Sl.No Document Details Status
1 Current Passport All pages, original passport has to be submitted to the VFS
2 Old Passports If any, all pages
3 Visa application photograph As per the specification attached
4 Highest degree certificate Photocopy
5 Employer reference letter On company’s letter head confirming your designation, employment start date. Pending
6 Pay slips Latest 3 months
7 Salary account statements Latest 3 months
Income tax returns Latest financial year
8 Medicals receipt List of panel physicians attached
9 Marriage certificate Should be issued by the registrar of marriage, state government
10 Wedding invitation Should be in English
11 Marriage photographs Minimum- 5-6 photos showing the main rituals of marriage, each photograph with respective families
12 Casual photographs Photos before or after marriage.
13 Communication Proof Voice calls, Tango, Viber, Gmail, chat, whats app history before and after marriage for the duration of separate stay.
14 Relationship declaration Self declared statement mentioning the when and how you both met, how the proposal started, development of relationship, engagement, marriage, feelings towards each other, aspects mentioning how strong you both are committed towards each other, kindly mention the events with month and year.
15 Funds requirement CAD 4000 for living expenses for initial one year. Can be in applicant’s or spouse’s accounts
16 Joint travel proofs Joint travel tickets, hotel booking and photographs
17 Information format Attached format, kindly fill it with applicant’s details and send me.
18 Property documents If any, should be in English
19 Visa fee $ 250 (subject to change at the time of submission), has to be paid at the time of submission at the VFS by cash
20 VFS service charges INR 1000 (approx) , to be paid at the VFS by cash
Documents from Spouse (Canada)
1 Current passport All pages with stamps
2 Work permit visa Photocopy
Degree certificate Photocopy
3 Employer reference letter On the company's letterhead mentioning your NOC code and Skill level (A, O or B) from employer along with the details of your current designation, roles and responsibilities, salary , employment start date
4 Pay slips Latest 3 months
5 Salary account statements Latest 3 months
6 Income tax returns Latest financial year
7 Invitation letter Template attached
8 Personal bank account statements For latest 3 months
9 Proof of accommodation Tenancy agreement or utility bill
I am a student in Canada. Just completed 1 semester there. Do I still need to provide my bank statement and invitation letter. My husband will be applying from Latvia(Europe) where he stays in work permit.

anttor

Star Member
Mar 8, 2015
Me and my wife applied together for my PGWP and her OWP. I had a full time job offer so we decided to apply together. At the time of application I didn't have any pay stub so I sent them later as case specific enquiry. Unfortunately CIC emailed me that there is no document saying I am her representative. But during our application we provided an FAMILY REPRESENTATIVE form. So, this time my wife send that family representative form. To our surprise yesterday CIC emailed that they cant add those documents as she is not her own representative. We are really confused whats going on. Why cant we add document to our file?
In both of the email CIC mentioned "If you have already provided the form kindly resend them". What are we missing here?

kht

Feb 15, 2016
fkl said:
If you are currently on coop - then yeah it looks visa officer doesn't agree. "Doesn't appear to be on coop now".

Unfortunately having changed your original program and with a gap in program start, it doesn't look very positive on your profile. It seems like a person intentionally delaying his education to continue being here on a student visa and may be not making enough to support spouse.

There is nothing wrong with above. But it might be a bit harder to convince and prove to CIC that you are not only on satisfactory status, but can also support a non working spouse.

You might try again referring to above notes specifically referring to "doesn't appear to be on COOP" and providing proof of your past, current and on going COOP contract. But this may or may not be sufficient and it could go either way.

This is why i recommended completing degree and at the same time getting full time NOC 0, A or B job offer.

If you have a job offer in hand when you complete your course work, you can submit your PGWP application along with your SOWP application. The only requirement for SOWP would be a) PGWP which will be processed together b) Skilled job offer

Bro Fkl, I thought about it and I decided to try one more time because I am finishing my degree next year in august.

should I need to mention gcms notes that I got from CIC and explain my point?
and why it took so long to finish my degree I have to do coop for 16 months, thats why I have study permit until sept 2019.
please bro I need your help.

thanks

Tomaslevige

Jul 12, 2016
Hi:

I would certainly apply at the same time. Like it has been said in the discussion here, there will be no delays if you apply at the same time. Make sure that in your spouse's application, you choose from the dropdown menu "Open Work Permit" for employment and address of employment put "Not Applicable." You will notice that you still have to choose the city of the employment, which should be the same at the location of your work. The location of the open work permit, which will be later issue, should be open as well. But I have seen officers issuing open employment but for a specific location. Make sure that you pay the extra $100 fee on top of the $155 for your wife or it will not be processed. The fee is called "Open Work Permit Holder Fee."

I sometimes go to extendworkpermitcanada.ca website where you can ask immigration experts specific questions for a small fee.

They also have some free info about applying or extending for work permits: extendworkpermitcanada.ca/extending-a-work-permit-labour-market-impact-exemptions/

Tom

OWP2015Dec

Star Member
Jul 13, 2016
Just bumping this question to see if FKL and other members have any inputs. Much appreciated.

OWP2015Dec said:
Hi FKL and other learned forum members:

Could you please advise what options are available to an applicant if the application processing time has far exceeded the normal processing time?

My wife and I applied for a Study Permit and OWP respectively in December 2015.

My wife received her approval in early January 2016. However, I have not yet received my TRV and OWP. We submitted an email enquiry to the visa office 10 days ago but haven't heard a response. I tried calling their consulate and was asked to send an email. The processing time for the country where I have filed the application from is 4 weeks.

I have noticed that there are several other forum members who are waiting for quite long also.

My wife's course commences in early September 2016 and so, unless we receive my visa shortly, she will not be able to attend the course.

I wanted to seek your guidance as to the best course of action(s) that I can take.

Hi HiranSiddharth,

I noticed that you advised someone else to contact the MP. Did you mean the MP of the Indian City where the OWP applicant resides or the MP of the Canadian City where the OWP applicant and Study Permit holder are planning to reside?

Thank you very much in advance.