+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

rkapoor

Feb 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jazz67 said:
Hi
Yes i applied with upfront medical...on cic website, under processing time it says 2 months for india.. But It doesn't say which visa office.. Delhi or chandigarh
Thanks for replying

As the processing times for your application has already passed so did you enquire about the status at either vfs Delhi or Chandigarh ?

Jazz67

Feb 16, 2016
rkapoor said:
Thanks for replying

As the processing times for your application has already passed so did you enquire about the status at either vfs Delhi or Chandigarh ?
No not yet.. My application is online.. So i don't know that processing time is for paper or online aplications

samahkhaled

Star Member
Mar 29, 2013
fkl said:
You actually should have applied for extension of your kids status along with your BOWP application. Still you should do that now - before the expiry of their current study permits.

Restoration of status is only filed when you go out of status i.e. haven't applied for extension before its expiry. You have to pay extra fee, have to do it within 90 days of expiry of status and also need to justify to CIC why you actually went out of status without having applied.

Ideally one should never be in restoration state. Just like you are in implied status, submit your kids application with proof of your BOWP application as well as other details before their current ones expire. They will also be in implied status until the decision.
Hello Dear
thank you for your advice , I didn't apply as I read in CIC website for minors this sentence :
Exceptions: Studying without a study permit
When minor children studying in Canada without a permit reach the age of majority (turn 18 or 19 depending on the province or territory), they must apply for a permit if they want to continue studying.
I found this as well
Minor children who are already in Canada accompanying a parent who is permitted to study or work may study in Canada without a study permit at the pre-school, primary and secondary levels.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
samahkhaled said:
Hello Dear
thank you for your advice , I didn't apply as I read in CIC website for minors this sentence :
Exceptions: Studying without a study permit
When minor children studying in Canada without a permit reach the age of majority (turn 18 or 19 depending on the province or territory), they must apply for a permit if they want to continue studying.
I found this as well
Minor children who are already in Canada accompanying a parent who is permitted to study or work may study in Canada without a study permit at the pre-school, primary and secondary levels.
That means they could study here without a study permit, but generally that means they received a visitor record instead (A trv issued as the same length as that of parent).

Unless you and your kids belong to a visa exempt country. Even then one visit cannot be more than 6 months so you need either a resident TRV with visitor record for kids OR a study permit. The above quoted statement says study permit is not mandatory in this case, but then you need SOMETHING i.e. a resident trv for your kids status in Canada.

Its not like that the kids could continue living here without any legal document of themselves.

Hope that helps.

samahkhaled

Star Member
Mar 29, 2013
fkl said:
That means they could study here without a study permit, but generally that means they received a visitor record instead (A trv issued as the same length as that of parent).

Unless you and your kids belong to a visa exempt country. Even then one visit cannot be more than 6 months so you need either a resident TRV with visitor record for kids OR a study permit. The above quoted statement says study permit is not mandatory in this case, but then you need SOMETHING i.e. a resident trv for your kids status in Canada.

Its not like that the kids could continue living here without any legal document of themselves.

Hope that helps.
Yes, I got it , I appreciate your assistance , I will wait sometime , May be I can get the extension before 17th March ( expire date) then applying online for my sons permit , I didn't apply with me because the work permit takes 144 days while study permit takes 25 days , Of course their visas would be refused as I didn't submit my approval extension, Sometimes wondering who is the genius who set these rules ???? Of course it is common issue , they are delaying everything for not logic reasons , Why should we wait 144 days to get the extension while having AOR , it is about 5 months to get the approval then applying for our family .
Anyway I thank you so much for the useful information

b4ahmad

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
FKL and senior members:

Is this true that online applications can be processed by any visa office around the world now? and there may be a possibility that applications get processed quickly now? Read this CIC FAQ,
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1185&top=3

Prior to December 31, 2015, processing times for many of our services were displayed by visa office. This was useful when applications for permanent or temporary residence were always processed by the nearest visa office. However, we now have the ability to move applications around our global network to ensure they are processed as efficiently as possible. This means your application may not be processed at the office closest to where you live.

Having said that, I applied for my Post graduate work permit ( I recently graduated with M.Eng degree and working full time in NOC 2133) and spouse open work permit (SOWP) in January-2016. As per CIC current working times, Work permit applied inside Canada takes 3 months, and applied in Pakistan takes 11 months (My spouse is in Pakistan) :O

So my question is, can I expect my spouse application be processed together with mine and Can i expect outcome in 3 months time for both of us? I am really worried, 11 months time is too much for SOWP. Please share your thoughts.
Regards

Thirumalareddy

Dec 3, 2015
fkl said:
Primarily you can do so if you are from a visa exempt country. You might even fly by that if you are returning from US (while your Canadian work permit is still valid) AND YOU ARE NOT EVEN FROM A VISA EXEMPT COUNTRY. Of course this is assuming that you are otherwise eligible for Open work permit. Though it might be a bit subjective and only further details could help with the case.

However, if you are not visa exempt and your existing work permit to Canada has expired, then you simply cannot do that.
Hi Fkl,

I sincerely thank for your support and for your guidance. I got My SOWP renewed yesterday at the St.Bernard New York border.
Primarily the lady officer at the border told me that I need to apply online for this renewal but when I told the reason that I got the new job offer and need the work permit renewed immediately the then officer took the help of her superior and renewed My SOWP. And she told that I need three pay slips of My wife job, but I took only One pay slip and she told that this the exceptional case and helped me and she has lot of patience, I thank her.

Thank you Fkl.

viprewind

Star Member
May 3, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-05-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
23-05-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
NA
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
13-07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2018
LANDED..........
21-07-2018
Hi Fkl,

Thanks for your assistance , I am hoping for the best at this point. You make excellent points and I really appreciate it. I will let you know. One question though. If i get through will they request my passport or will the permit be mailed out. I just wanna know what to look out for.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
samahkhaled said:
Yes, I got it , I appreciate your assistance , I will wait sometime , May be I can get the extension before 17th March ( expire date) then applying online for my sons permit , I didn't apply with me because the work permit takes 144 days while study permit takes 25 days , Of course their visas would be refused as I didn't submit my approval extension, Sometimes wondering who is the genius who set these rules ???? Of course it is common issue , they are delaying everything for not logic reasons , Why should we wait 144 days to get the extension while having AOR , it is about 5 months to get the approval then applying for our family .
Anyway I thank you so much for the useful information
You are most welcome. CIC did set rules - but I would say they are not as insane as we make them at times. In your case, study permit processing time doesn't matter because you should have applied for them with you. After all they are your dependents so approving their status is tied to yours (perfectly logical). Until CIC decides upon the extension, you would be on implied status.

Lastly the work permit processing time of 144 days hasn't been consistent. It was 144 days until Dec 2015. Then in Jan 2016, CIC changed it. For first time / new wp applications, they were showing time frames of 1 month and for older extension applications (basically backlog) they were still taking upwards of 4 months.

In practice, we have seen a SOWP approval in 1.5 months (Dec 15 - Feb 2). So the time estimates aren't very clear for now. But you can always stay on implied status. When you apply together, they are not refused because you haven't received extension yet. They just remain on implied status till yours is processed. If any thing, they might process yours sooner because of this.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
b4ahmad said:
FKL and senior members:

Is this true that online applications can be processed by any visa office around the world now? and there may be a possibility that applications get processed quickly now? Read this CIC FAQ,
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1185&top=3

Prior to December 31, 2015, processing times for many of our services were displayed by visa office. This was useful when applications for permanent or temporary residence were always processed by the nearest visa office. However, we now have the ability to move applications around our global network to ensure they are processed as efficiently as possible. This means your application may not be processed at the office closest to where you live.

Having said that, I applied for my Post graduate work permit ( I recently graduated with M.Eng degree and working full time in NOC 2133) and spouse open work permit (SOWP) in January-2016. As per CIC current working times, Work permit applied inside Canada takes 3 months, and applied in Pakistan takes 11 months (My spouse is in Pakistan) :O

So my question is, can I expect my spouse application be processed together with mine and Can i expect outcome in 3 months time for both of us? I am really worried, 11 months time is too much for SOWP. Please share your thoughts.
Regards
Well at least they have shown intention. So obviously there would be some improvement as a whole.

But simply nothing can be guaranteed because of this. Even when average from Pakistan used to be 9 months, Not all applications took 9 months. For clear cut straight forward strong applications, 2-3 months used to be the norm. For stuck on cases for some unfortunate reasons or complications in file, I have seen it dragged on longer than a year.

It also used to depend upon load on the visa office. If you submit application during peak study visa times like mar - july for sept intake (and CIC's priority is Study visa > visitor trv > work permits), you would face much longer processing time. As opposed to this CIC offices might be relatively vacant towards the end of year. Also usually visa offices have annual targets i.e. required to process a minimum number of applications by year end. So often they are working much faster towards year end.

But none of this can guarantee. I can at max say with experience, that if you apply now (and you have a strong clear cut case), you most likely won't have to wait 11 months. More like 6ish and if you are lucky it could be 3. But this is nothing more than an educated guess. Good luck.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Thirumalareddy said:
Hi Fkl,

I sincerely thank for your support and for your guidance. I got My SOWP renewed yesterday at the St.Bernard New York border.
Primarily the lady officer at the border told me that I need to apply online for this renewal but when I told the reason that I got the new job offer and need the work permit renewed immediately the then officer took the help of her superior and renewed My SOWP. And she told that I need three pay slips of My wife job, but I took only One pay slip and she told that this the exceptional case and helped me and she has lot of patience, I thank her.

Thank you Fkl.
Hi Thirumalareddy,

You are most welcome and I am glad you got it. Congrats and enjoy your life here.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
viprewind said:
Hi Fkl,

Thanks for your assistance , I am hoping for the best at this point. You make excellent points and I really appreciate it. I will let you know. One question though. If i get through will they request my passport or will the permit be mailed out. I just wanna know what to look out for.
You are most welcome viprewind. If you applied on line inside Canada for a work permit, you would only send them a scan of your passport which is enough and CIC would mail an actual work permit to you by post. Note that work permit allows you to stay inside Canada and work. But it doesn't allow you to ENTER Canada (unless you are visa exempt. The only exception is when entering from US, you do not need a Canadian trv). Work permit is often attached to passport if you get it in person from CBSA, but it is not required to be, hence no need to mail passport.

As opposed to above, if you apply for trv extension from inside Canada, you would receive a passport request if your case is otherwise approved. You would mail passport via canadapost along with a prepaid return envelop and get it back with visa stamped on passport.

When some who belongs to non visa exempt country, applies from outside Canada, obviously they need both work permit AND trv to get here. Hence CIC mandatorily asks for passport, stamps visa on it. But they do not issue the actual work permit. Instead they only send an approval letter called "Letter of introduction" which basically says your file number and tells you that your application to study or work in Canada is approved. The actual work permit in this case is issued at the POE (port of entry) upon landing.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

samahkhaled

Star Member
Mar 29, 2013
fkl said:
You are most welcome. CIC did set rules - but I would say they are not as insane as we make them at times. In your case, study permit processing time doesn't matter because you should have applied for them with you. After all they are your dependents so approving their status is tied to yours (perfectly logical). Until CIC decides upon the extension, you would be on implied status.

Lastly the work permit processing time of 144 days hasn't been consistent. It was 144 days until Dec 2015. Then in Jan 2016, CIC changed it. For first time / new wp applications, they were showing time frames of 1 month and for older extension applications (basically backlog) they were still taking upwards of 4 months.

In practice, we have seen a SOWP approval in 1.5 months (Dec 15 - Feb 2). So the time estimates aren't very clear for now. But you can always stay on implied status. When you apply together, they are not refused because you haven't received extension yet. They just remain on implied status till yours is processed. If any thing, they might process yours sooner because of this.
No , it didn't happen before for me , I applied before for BOWP for me and my husband , they refused him before accepting me , they mentioned that he didn't submit my extension approval , Can you imagine ???? week later they approved me.
Another thing in the year before I applied for me and my sons together , they approved me but didn't respond at all to my sons , then I applied for them again with my extension and they approved them . Today I sent their application in paper to be in safe side but I don't expect anything from them . I am waiting for Passport request since last June , Hopefully get it and ending all that suffer .

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
samahkhaled said:
No , it didn't happen before for me , I applied before for BOWP for me and my husband , they refused him before accepting me , they mentioned that he didn't submit my extension approval , Can you imagine ???? week later they approved me.
Another thing in the year before I applied for me and my sons together , they approved me but didn't respond at all to my sons , then I applied for them again with my extension and they approved them . Today I sent their application in paper to be in safe side but I don't expect anything from them . I am waiting for Passport request since last June , Hopefully get it and ending all that suffer .
That's weird. Did you apply together as a single application for your BOWP and your husband's? I suspect you applied separately and they didn't see that this is dependent of a BOWP application.

Your experiences so far sound odd. I hope and wish you get through this and it all turns out worthwhile. Good luck

samahkhaled

Star Member
Mar 29, 2013
fkl said:
That's weird. Did you apply together as a single application for your BOWP and your husband's? I suspect you applied separately and they didn't see that this is dependent of a BOWP application.

Your experiences so far sound odd. I hope and wish you get through this and it all turns out worthwhile. Good luck
No I applied online together in the same page , But it doesn't strange as I read some similar cases and stories for Wife/Husband rejection . CIC teaching us how to be patience Candidate .