+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

nurat

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
fkl said:
What is the type of your Spouse's work permit? If its PGWP, you need a detailed letter from employer outlining duties to prove its NOC A (along with pay stubs) to become eligible for SOWP.
The current trv you have, is it a visitor trv or a resident trv? (Did you apply on behalf of your spouse, did medicals and do you have medical coverage in Canada? Can you stay for longer than six months on this trv?)

If all of above is true - then you probably can do flag pole and get a work permit, though you would have to explain your situation though you might still have some difficulty convincing them that you do not require a VISA to enter Canada (and hence can apply for work permit at border) coz you have a spouse dependent trv. The official instruction is for some one on a work or study permit already.

If you just have a normal regular visitor trv (issued without medicals) that only allows you to stay in Canada for six months and does not get you health care in Canada, you likely won't be able to get it at border.

Hey, thanks fkl for such a detailed response (not that it matters, but still +1 for you).

Not sure if it's PGWP... it was issued for the company so it's a closed WP for NOC 2171. Well, I have a visitor supported by medicals (I can stay in the country for 2 years as opposed to regular 6 months).

As for PGWP, I was reading on the CIC website. Is it mandatory for the study to be in Canada? Seems to me... in which case its not a PGWP. Which intrigues me... what WP is it (if not PGWP)?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
nurat said:
Hey, thanks fkl for such a detailed response (not that it matters, but still +1 for you).

Not sure if it's PGWP... it was issued for the company so it's a closed WP for NOC 2171. Well, I have a visitor supported by medicals (I can stay in the country for 2 years as opposed to regular 6 months).

As for PGWP, I was reading on the CIC website. Is it mandatory for the study to be in Canada? Seems to me... in which case its not a PGWP. Which intrigues me... what WP is it (if not PGWP)?
You are welcome. Closed work permit is actually better than PGWP. The latter is only an open work permit issued to some one who got a degree in Canada. Closed work permit is better because it is usually issued based upon LMIA and states your NOC already. So you don't have to spend as much energy proving that you have a skilled NOC. although it is tied to one employer only.

So it looks good though you might still face difficulty convincing them because of having a visitor record (and not a study or work permit).

Still you can try, if they refuse issuing work permit, you can just enter and then latter apply inside Canada by submitting online to CIC.

nurat

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
Yeah, that is my thinking too. I should have nothing to lose (other than a day out to Niagara and a few dollars in commute). Maybe I can lookup up some nice place to have lunch, that way it wont feel too bad even if the purpose is not met ;)

sandra02

Mar 1, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16 07 2017
Med's Done....
April 2017
Hi,
Is it possible to get LMIA to support PR only, for somebody who is on open work permit? (SOWP)

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
sandra02 said:
Thank you Terki.
It sounds good:)
What? No - this is misleading. Technically you CAN get an LMIA for a person who is already on work permit. But the requirements are the same.

It has to be an employer with good repute who has a position open for which he proves that he couldn't get Canadians or PRs and then extended job offer to this foreign national. He has to submit salary, job specs and employee qualifications.

Only difference is that this LMIA if done for PR, won't require the same fee. But other requirements remain same.

This would also mean that the employer is also going to offer the employee this job and would continue for a good length of time.

To prove efforts to have tried hiring Canadians is also pretty comprehensive i.e. adds in CIC approved publications and possibly proof of having interviewed people. There is at least a time frame of 4 weeks of waiting on adds.

Hope that helps

mfm

May 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Finally my wife got the visa!
Applied online 16th May 2015
Bio metric request 16th May 2015
Medical Call 19th November 2015 :-\
Medical Done 1st December 2015
Medical Passed online 24th December 2015
Passport Request 20th January 2016
Application Approved online 27th January
Passport Collected 28th January 2016 8)

rkapoor

Feb 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thirumalareddy said:
Hi,

Can any one please tell me in to which NOC list does the Call center agents come?

Thank you.
NOC 2282
But IMO it should be technical support not customer service or sales

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/CH/2001/ProfileFromStructure.aspx?v=2282