+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

syed_muzaffar

Jan 12, 2016
Any updates on SWOP ? i heard 3 Person got their ppr last week, finger cross, anyone waiting for their ppr request applied since last year,

nurat

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
syed_muzaffar said:
Any updates on SWOP ? i heard 3 Person got their ppr last week, finger cross, anyone waiting for their ppr request applied since last year,
Were the applications made from inside Canada? What was the application date?

Thirumalareddy

Dec 3, 2015
fkl said:
Yep you can always do that. Apply online, and until you get it, you are on IMPLIED status. If you are working, you can continue to work for the same employer.

However, implied status does not allow you to CHANGE conditions of your work permit.

E.g. I had a work permit tied to employer A. I accepted a job offer from Employer B. Now if I applied to CIC online / or on paper, I have to wait for approval to work for Employer B.

However, if I just applied for renewal to work for Employer A, I could have continued working so.

The above was EXACTLY my situation, which is why I couldn't wait and went to border, got work permit and am now working for employer B
Thanks for your response.

So, My wife got the job offer under Noc B category but she did not start working .

Can I go only with the offer letter in respect to her employment and get this done at the border?

Thank you.

anyrz

Jan 23, 2016
If I go for student visa.. HOw will I apply for SOWP? Thank you very much. Im planning to bring with me my husband the moment that I will enter Canada. How long would be the processing time for SOWP to be approved? Thank you very much

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Thirumalareddy said:
Thanks for your response.

So, My wife got the job offer under Noc B category but she did not start working .

Can I go only with the offer letter in respect to her employment and get this done at the border?

Thank you.
You are welcome. Well its a bit off. When was she offered the job? If its been a while they might be interested in verifying if she actually is working. Also even with a fresh job offer, if CBSA has any concerns they might wish to call employer to verify. This normally does not happen but you cannot guarantee that it won't. Moral of the story is that requirement is, PGWP holder needs to have a skilled job for SOWP eligibility.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
anyrz said:
If I go for student visa.. HOw will I apply for SOWP? Thank you very much. Im planning to bring with me my husband the moment that I will enter Canada. How long would be the processing time for SOWP to be approved? Thank you very much
You mean how will your Spouse get SOWP. Technically upon getting admission to a university, you can apply together.

You just need proof of enough funds for both as well as show ties assuming the admission is legitimate and at a well reputed institute.

anyrz

Jan 23, 2016
fkl said:
You mean how will your Spouse get SOWP. Technically upon getting admission to a university, you can apply together.

You just need proof of enough funds for both as well as show ties assuming the admission is legitimate and at a well reputed institute.

Thank you very much fkl

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
Navprateek said:
When and where did you apply? What reason does it say on the refusal letter?
He applied online via My CIC account, he is now in Russia.

The reason states: You are not eligible for a Spouse open work permit.

What should we do next?
I submitted a case specific inquiry from his name, still no reply, it's been 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
My Husband got two email saying that his passport has been dispatched. He applied through VFS New Delhi. Timelines:

Applied on :21st dec
Med Req: 07 Jan
Med done: 13th Jan
email/approval: 27th Jan

It doesn't say in the email if your application has been approved or not for paper based ones. But when you go to tracking on CIC not on VFS it changed the status from in progress to approved and gave me an ETA number as well.
With god's grace finally we will be together soon. Grin Grin
I wish good luck to all the applicants and pray to get the positive results soon!

rkapoor

Feb 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shilpasarawagi said:
Any updates folks for December 2015 or January 2016 applicants for SOWP ? Have they started looking at January applicants anywhere?
did you apply online or paper based?

Few of the applications hve been approved ,
I applied online in december , no updates!! :(

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
Hey guys, can someone advise? I got a reply from a visa officer, and I think he is wrong.

I am an international graduate on a post grad work permit.
My husband applied for a SWOP and they told him he's not eligible for one, because my wotk permit is post grad.

Is that true?
The website says he is eligible though... I'm confused

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Irada_G said:
Hey guys, can someone advise? I got a reply from a visa officer, and I think he is wrong.

My husband applied for a SWOP and they told him he's not eligible for one, because my wotk permit is post grad.

Is that true?
What NOC job you work on?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Irada_G said:

Is that true?
You need to have a NOC 0, A or B job and provide evidence of that to be eligible for SOWP.