+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Rv_2311 said:
makes sense.

this way she wont be having anyone is Canada whom she can visit. This will be a problem as they would ask for hotel bookings, return tickets etc etc when she has visitor visa process.

Or nothing is needed when she applies??
She has to (show) plan a trip to various cities i will say provinces as well. Book hotels flight tickets for both ways which will confirm that she is only going to visit to gather some information for her blog. It will more likely look like she is traveller. I will say to plan something when there is any concert or any celebration happening in Canada. She can include most targetted destinations of canada.
And importantly you can always cancel the reserations always mention to hotels and airlines that due to any uncertainity you should be able to cancel the bookings.

Just for your info sometimes there are travellers groups who visit different destinations to explore the world if she knows someone like that then she can even apply as a group visitor visa. Doennt have much info that but you can alwasy google it! Hope that will help you to make a decision

Rv_2311

Star Member
Dec 30, 2015
that sounds perfect.

Probably november mid 2016. There will be thanksgiving, christmas, new year !!

There must be a lot of events happening around provinces during November mid.

Now all I have to bang my head for is PLANNING !! plan multiple flights, hotel stays, and return tickets so say approx $1500 have to be kept aside for that... but as you mentioned, as she gets her visa, I can cancel the tickets right away !!

any other way we can do this?

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Rv_2311 said:
that sounds perfect.

Probably november mid 2016. There will be thanksgiving, christmas, new year !!

There must be a lot of events happening around provinces during November mid.

Now all I have to bang my head for is PLANNING !! plan multiple flights, hotel stays, and return tickets so say approx $1500 have to be kept aside for that... but as you mentioned, as she gets her visa, I can cancel the tickets right away !!

any other way we can do this?
Don't forget to mention that you would like to have an option of cancellation whenever you do any bookings. Also I forgot to mention she should try getting visitor visas for small european countries It will help her in getting a Canadian visa easily. Also She will get to have a change and stuff to write in her blog will look more genuine.

Rv_2311

Star Member
Dec 30, 2015
so you mean she should apply for European visa as well when she applies for a canadian visitor visa?

That would require her to show bookings in the European hotels as well.

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Rv_2311 said:
so you mean she should apply for European visa as well when she applies for a canadian visitor visa?

If she wants to apply for European visa she should apply it before even making a plan for canada. And if she gets a visa she has to go there for a vacation or so and can include all the info in her blog, which ccan sort of prove that she is a travellor and loves to explore new places.. its not neccessary its only if she has any visit history it gives more chances to get a visa approval.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Rv_2311 said:
so if she comes here on visitors as you mentioned above, when we apply for SOWP wont they ask for proof about marriage?? my case is going to be similar as I am on PGWP and getting married in Nov 2016. Provided the rules dont change, my fiancee can get her visitors by herself before we get married in nov 2016 -> i go there, we get married and get her here wth me -> once we land, I apply for SOWP.

what about change of marital status in passport?
Sure they would ask for proof of marriage and technically your date of marriage should be AFTER she got visitor visa since she is stating her status as single for now. Being engaged has no legal position unless you are common law which requires living together for at least a year.

So your above situation would work fine. There is no requirement of change of marital status or name in passport.

If you have a recent marriage you would need to provide additional / enough evidence for it being genuine - that is all.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
subtain said:
Thanks a lot. One more concern. Should she have a return ticket or one way ticket? Tickets are expensive right now so would like to take only one way, but m concerned the CBSA might consider it dual intent..
You are most welcome. Return tickets are only a concern for visitors. No body coming on a work permit would get a return ticket. If ever asked simply clarify that i am not a visitor, but rather a worker for x period of time. CBSA won't ever ask for it IMHO.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Rv_2311 said:

I read through most of your posts and in summary there is no harm in try, but i really doubt that just being a travel blogger would qualify for a visitor visa to Canada.

Generally speaking for being a travel blogger she has to have a good number of former visits to other places (and visas) such as (ideally) Europe / US etc. If that is not the case i don't see any grounds on which CIC might approve a visitor visa, specially when she doesn't know any one here or has other genuine grounds for visit.

Having a stable income and being an established person would help with ties to home country, but won't qualify purpose of visit.

Though there is no harm in trying, but a refused trv application and then suddenly a marriage followed by a SOWP application might complicate the SOWP in the first place.

If i were in your shoes, unless i had another genuine ground for visitor visa (work trip sponsored by employer, conference etc.), i would simply get married and apply SOWP from home country. I won't take a chance this way to possibly affect even the SOWP application.

Besides, work permit application from inside Canada as of now is around 4 months processing time, which might be longer than india if you have a good clear cut case.

So consider all of that.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Mohit_ind said:
Hi guys... Seems some real advisors here.

Firstly I would like to brief you all with my case.
My wife is in canada on a study permit with my 14 month old daughter for next two years for her PG.
I hold a valid visitor visa for canada too.
I am a post graduate in management but have no job experience as since beginning I am into business.
I am a self employed person dealing into imports of recyclable meta scrap for india and neighboring countries which is mainly a brokerage between big mills and scrap yards in various countries. My travel history is great with over 25 trips overseas to all developed developing and under developed ones.

Now I need to apply for SOWP as firstly my daughter is not able to settle down properly in the day care so my wife badly needs me to stay for some time until she finishes her PG, secondly with a SOWP I can well do my trade too from canada as even canada is a source for our supplies.
My question here is should I enter canada and then apply for SOWP or should I apply for the same from my india and then visit canada.
Lastly my wife's aunt is in canada who's a citizen since last 35-40 years and she had actually sponsored my wife's stay n expenses and will happily send any document or letter of sponsorship for my application too. She is well settled and owns property in canada which is just occupied by my wife n her.
Would love to have your valuable response on my situation.
Thanks well in advance.
I am sorry but probably my responses won't be very encouraging.

To take care of your daughter you can always go on a visitor visa that you already have.

However, work permit processing times are around 4 months for applications from inside Canada right now.

Plus knowing the work permit scenarios, i must say this is quite a weird profile (your business) which i don't see easily getting past CIC.

Normally a SOWP is allowed to work for any one - but being a business owner is a different thing. You are required often to register a company in Canada to do so - of which often being a permanent resident is a requirement.

I don't know further details of your profile or business but it is very likely that it would not at least be a straight forward case and hence would take time to process and could be refused.

You might still get a SOWP mainly because of your wife's status but i am not sure if you would be able to actually work / run business here.

Lastly, i don't see any impact of having a citizen aunt here. She could support sponsoring a visitor visa, but you already have that.

A SOWP is not something that is sponsored and has no bearing with a relationship being there, except may be an informal understanding that in case you don't get work and your spouse also can't help you might have some one to support. But this is not a formal ground AFAIK.

Once your Spouse completes her education, and gets a PGWP, she would need to get a NOC 0, A or B job for you to be eligible for a SOWP based upon that.

Mohit_ind

Dec 18, 2015
Thank you FKL

My business profile is importing of recyclable metals scrap and I have been trading into 7 countries so I can well go back to some recycler for a international marketing manager job for the client base I have that would fall under NOC a or B?
Moreover the business can be opened in the name of a Canadian citizen and then I can have the job in the same company on any post.
Thirdly my aunt ( Canadian citizen) can show my accommodation and expenses sponsored as it's a 4 bed apartment and only my wife n aunt are occupying it currently.
It's complicated i do understand but would it help
If I am showing around 6 years job ex from 2005-2010 into my partners company on an international marketing manager position responsible for marketing of metal scrap in various mills and countries. In past I have been frequently traveling to Europe, africa, Middle East, Far East asia, Singapore, egypt and USA for work. So would they still think that I might not return back to base on completion of the visa.
I know it's a long post with details which might not be even relevant but I just wanted to Brief you with max inputs that you could pick any thing positive from these :)

fkl said:
I am sorry but probably my responses won't be very encouraging.

To take care of your daughter you can always go on a visitor visa that you already have.

However, work permit processing times are around 4 months for applications from inside Canada right now.

Plus knowing the work permit scenarios, i must say this is quite a weird profile (your business) which i don't see easily getting past CIC.

Normally a SOWP is allowed to work for any one - but being a business owner is a different thing. You are required often to register a company in Canada to do so - of which often being a permanent resident is a requirement.

I don't know further details of your profile or business but it is very likely that it would not at least be a straight forward case and hence would take time to process and could be refused.

You might still get a SOWP mainly because of your wife's status but i am not sure if you would be able to actually work / run business here.

Lastly, i don't see any impact of having a citizen aunt here. She could support sponsoring a visitor visa, but you already have that.

A SOWP is not something that is sponsored and has no bearing with a relationship being there, except may be an informal understanding that in case you don't get work and your spouse also can't help you might have some one to support. But this is not a formal ground AFAIK.

Once your Spouse completes her education, and gets a PGWP, she would need to get a NOC 0, A or B job for you to be eligible for a SOWP based upon that.

cindyamoah

Aug 29, 2011
Hi all
Am a nominee with a work permit support letter. Am about to apply for my work permit extension. Can I also apply for an open work permit for my wife who is outside Canada?

loomingtiger

Star Member
Jul 27, 2015
Visa Office......
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 12,2015
Doc's Request.
Oct 12, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 30,2015
cindyamoah said:
Hi all
Am a nominee with a work permit support letter. Am about to apply for my work permit extension. Can I also apply for an open work permit for my wife who is outside Canada?
if your job is NOC 0, A, or B, you can. by the way, since you are a nominee already did you apply to express entry?

Pilot_to_be

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys thank you for your replyies to my situation. Do you know of it is possible to apply for my wife's work permit from inside Canada, even though she is not here. I mean, if she come here in Canada for one week can i apply for her work permit and after she goes back to her country since she has a job there. Is it necessary that she stays in Canada during the whole process of the work permit? And regading the medical exam, can it be done in any country and attached to the file in MYCIC or it should be done in the country that is processing the application?

Rv_2311

Star Member
Dec 30, 2015
Pilot_to_be said:
Guys thank you for your replyies to my situation. Do you know of it is possible to apply for my wife's work permit from inside Canada, even though she is not here. I mean, if she come here in Canada for one week can i apply for her work permit and after she goes back to her country since she has a job there. Is it necessary that she stays in Canada during the whole process of the work permit? And regading the medical exam, can it be done in any country and attached to the file in MYCIC or it should be done in the country that is processing the application?

you can certainly do that, but reading through the posts on this thread and various others it is not advisable to do so.

Rv_2311

Star Member
Dec 30, 2015
Hey guys,

Had a long discussion with a lawyer and my to be wife, since she has only 1 yr 10 months exp prior to starting full time blogging for various clients, she might face a problem/delay on getting a job here. Also, having the processing time into consideration she would be unable to help in anyway+ job wait period.

Considering all this, decided to get her here on student visa. I know it is costly but if its going to guarantee that we would stay together its acceptable. Money can be recovered down the line, time cant be. Also she gets to upgrade herself going to school here.

Going to get her in Winter 2017 intake.

Hope all goes well !!