+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

shallu7287

May 29, 2014
Hi fkl,
My lawyer sent an email to chandigarh immigration consulate but he made a mistake in providing my husband's details. He provided wrong year of birth. Its been 10 days and we haven't received any reply for the email yet. Now I asked him to resent the email and cc the email to NHQ too. But he said my husband should sent that himself. Kindly guide me. Its getting more frustrating. We applied at Chandigarh Visa office on June 26th.

env

Oct 31, 2015
Hello Guys,
Questions in regards to SOWP - Determine your eligibility online tool. I thinks I know the answers but just wanna make sure what I'll be doing is correct.

How to include infants in the SOWP application ?

In the online tools there is an option:

Do you want to submit an application for a family member?

I think this is the first option that needs to be selected as " Yes "

Selecting Yes gives further options, after few more steps it gives following option:

Why is your family member visiting Canada?

Visit Tourism
Visit - all other types ------------------ I think this option would be the right pick here ?
Less than 6 months studies
study more than 6 months
work in a work permit exempted category
work (lmia required)
work with an open work permit
transit
------------------

Down the road, will there be a medical exam / bio-metric requirement for infants ?

Your opinion on this please ?

butterfly11

Star Member
Sep 14, 2014
Do you need a visa to come here?
I am trying to apply for my fiance but in the eligibility test when we finished answering it. It doesn't show the TRV form only the application for work permit. Please let mw know if it went through

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
env said:
Hello Guys,
Questions in regards to SOWP - Determine your eligibility online tool. I thinks I know the answers but just wanna make sure what I'll be doing is correct.

How to include infants in the SOWP application ?

In the online tools there is an option:

Do you want to submit an application for a family member?

I think this is the first option that needs to be selected as " Yes "

Selecting Yes gives further options, after few more steps it gives following option:

Why is your family member visiting Canada?

Visit Tourism
Visit - all other types ------------------ I think this option would be the right pick here ?
Less than 6 months studies
study more than 6 months
work in a work permit exempted category
work (lmia required)
work with an open work permit
transit
------------------

Down the road, will there be a medical exam / bio-metric requirement for infants ?

Your opinion on this please ?
Yes if they are infants (less than 6 years old) you would apply for TRVs for them. However, these are different from visitor visas. They would undergo medicals (though for kids they do not do xrays or blood / urine tests), rather just physical examination. The processing time would be the same as parents.

However, they would be issued a visitor record upon entry which permits they to stay as long as the parent (regular TRVs can stay only for 6 months max).
They would be eligible for health care along with parents.
If they turn school going age i.e. 5 years for pre k or 6 for kindergarten, they could go to school without any fee like Canadians as long as their and their parents parmits are valid.

env

Oct 31, 2015
butterfly11 said:
Do you need a visa to come here?
I am trying to apply for my fiance but in the eligibility test when we finished answering it. It doesn't show the TRV form only the application for work permit. Please let mw know if it went through
follow the instructions on that page (your document checklist) , step 5 to onward, you'll get that form

butterfly11

Star Member
Sep 14, 2014
when the documents to be uploaded shows up only the form for Application for work permit outside Canada, proof of relationship, digital photo, passport only shows up. The form for TRV doesn't. So maybe I'll do paper app again. Im scared to risk if I will not be able to submit the other docs. Or can I upload the TRV form in pdf with the work permit form?

env

Oct 31, 2015
butterfly11 said:
when the documents to be uploaded shows up only the form for Application for work permit outside Canada, proof of relationship, digital photo, passport only shows up. The form for TRV doesn't. So maybe I'll do paper app again. Im scared to risk if I will not be able to submit the other docs. Or can I upload the TRV form in pdf with the work permit form?
Then may be you are not answering that questionnaire properly, recheck your answers.

@ Or can I upload the TRV form in pdf with the work permit form?
In my opinion, this wouldn't be appropriate.

env

Oct 31, 2015
butterfly11 said:
whats listed under Optional Documents for you ?

env

Oct 31, 2015
fkl said:
Yes if they are infants (less than 6 years old) you would apply for TRVs for them. However, these are different from visitor visas. They would undergo medicals (though for kids they do not do xrays or blood / urine tests), rather just physical examination. The processing time would be the same as parents.

However, they would be issued a visitor record upon entry which permits they to stay as long as the parent (regular TRVs can stay only for 6 months max).
If they turn school going age i.e. 5 years for pre k or 6 for kindergarten, they could go to school without any fee like Canadians as long as their and their parents parmits are valid.
fkl said:

Thank you fkl.

So in that online application process that document checklist for infant has following:

1. Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Made Outside of Canada (IMM5257)

Per Instruction Guide [IMM 5256]

Who must fill out this application form?

This form must be completed by each person applying for a Temporary Resident Visa to visit Canada.

CIC-Question Answer Section
* Parents or guardians can help children fill out their forms. Parents or guardians must sign the forms for any children under the age of 18.

2. Digital Photo
3. Passport or travel document

4. Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada

Per Instruction Guide [IMM 5487]
This form must be completed by:

you, the principal applicant;
your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and
your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not).

** Can be left blank for infant then ????

5. Letter of Explanation
- Not sure about this one, what should be the context of this letter? should that be written and signed by parents (Father & Mother) or one of them ???

Any thoughts on this ???

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
env said:
Thank you fkl.

So in that online application process that document checklist for infant has following:

1. Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Made Outside of Canada (IMM5257)

Per Instruction Guide [IMM 5256]

This form must be completed by each person applying for a Temporary Resident Visa to visit Canada.

CIC-Question Answer Section
* Parents or guardians can help children fill out their forms. Parents or guardians must sign the forms for any children under the age of 18.

2. Digital Photo
3. Passport or travel document

4. Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada

Per Instruction Guide [IMM 5487]
This form must be completed by:

you, the principal applicant;
your spouse or common-law partner (whether accompanying you to Canada or not), and
your dependent children aged 18 or over (whether accompanying you to Canada or not).

** Can be left blank for infant then ????

5. Letter of Explanation
- Not sure about this one, what should be the context of this letter? should that be written and signed by parents (Father & Mother) or one of them ???

Any thoughts on this ???
You are most welcome.

What ever you do, DO NOT leave out any of the forms for infant. Fill a separate copy of each form for the child that you filled for the principal applicant.

Just ignore the statement that this form is NOT required for kids under 18.

The point is that submitting additional form won't do you any harm if they do not need it. Where as not having it when they required it, is going to end up with an incomplete application.

A couple years ago, i applied with kids, and Checklist from the local visa office website clearly said NOT REQUIRED for kids under 18, on multiple forms.

So i did not submit those, which caused my application to be returned as incomplete TWICE - for complying with their written instructions.

Eventually i filled and sent all forms for kids, even the Schedule A forms of statutory declaration till we got those approved.

shallu7287

May 29, 2014
shallu7287 said:
Hi fkl,
My lawyer sent an email to chandigarh immigration consulate but he made a mistake in providing my husband's details. He provided wrong year of birth. Its been 10 days and we haven't received any reply for the email yet. Now I asked him to resent the email and cc the email to NHQ too. But he said my husband should sent that himself. Kindly guide me. Its getting more frustrating. We applied at Chandigarh Visa office on June 26th.

viprewind

Star Member
May 3, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-05-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
23-05-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
NA
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
13-07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2018
LANDED..........
21-07-2018
Hi everyone,

My wife will be going up on study permit in January and I wanted to know how soon I can apply for my open work permit. I know I have to wait until she crosses the border, however, I wanted to know If there is a waiting period before I apply for the Sowp.

BTW I have a Canadian TRV at the moment.

Thanks

env

Oct 31, 2015
viprewind said:
Hi everyone,

My wife will be going up on study permit in January and I wanted to know how soon I can apply for my open work permit. I know I have to wait until she crosses the border, however, I wanted to know If there is a waiting period before I apply for the Sowp.

BTW I have a Canadian TRV at the moment.

Thanks
As far as I know there is no such time period requirement as long as your wife fulfills the written requirement (e.g. full time student & valid work permit) you are eligible to apply but having/considering the following may strengthen your application.

1. Her educational standing in that institute, first term transcript would do that
2. relationship history (how long been together ??? )

The above two conditions are dependent on time for 1st one wait time is around 4 months and for second one having it around one to two years would help.

Senior fellows may give you better input on this.