+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

nashid khan

Oct 10, 2015
fkl said:
POF may or may not be required depending upon the status of principal applicant i.e. on whose bases on is applying for SOWP. E.g. I had an LMIA based work permit job in NOC A so there was no POF requirement for me or my spouse.

But if the principal spouse is a student in Canada primarily on a study permit then you need to have if i remember correctly about 6k CAD which is basically expense for one year. This is in addition to principal applicant's tuition fee and around 11k for a year's expense.

The POF have to be shown in bank account, some other close liquid state preferably in the account of the actual SOWP applicant. If it is recently transferred you might have to specify the source. It might vary a bit from embassy to embassy and from visa officer to another.
Dear Altruists

I would like to know which one is the better option for a spouse of a full time phd student?

1) At first apply for TRV and then after going to canada apply for Spouse Open Work Permit
or
2) Directly apply for SOWP from Home Country?

I would appreciate if someone can explain which application has better chance of getting accepted. Thank you in advance

Nashid

shallu7287

May 29, 2014
I haven't received any information on my husband's application. Applied on June 26th. Its almost 2 weeks to 4 months processing time period. Should I made a case specific enquiry or call to Chandigarh consulate to know the file status.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Most certainly 2, even if you dont want your spouse to work.

It would take longer, but here is the key.

You do not plan to visit your spouse for a short trip, you intend to live with them. That is NOT what visitor trv is for. This is the classic case in which 90 out of 100 times you would get a rejection. The remaining 10 probably would be the ones who specified NOT A SHORT TERM VISIT but intention of living with spouse for as long as they are there.

The processing time would be the same as that of a work permit. Your spouse would have to undergo medicals.

But she would be eligible for health benefits right away and won't be restricted to 6 months of stay as the case for a visitor trv.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I was going to write, don't know who Altruists is, then changed my mind - googled and laughed a bit. Just sharing what is personal experience. Good luck

nashid khan said:
Dear Altruists

I would like to know which one is the better option for a spouse of a full time phd student?

1) At first apply for TRV and then after going to canada apply for Spouse Open Work Permit
or
2) Directly apply for SOWP from Home Country?

I would appreciate if someone can explain which application has better chance of getting accepted. Thank you in advance

Nashid

jassi2427

Oct 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-July-2015
Nomination.....
15-May-2015
AOR Received.
02-Nov-2015
Med's Done....
28-APR-2016
Passport Req..
21-OCT-2016
shallu7287 said:
I haven't received any information on my husband's application. Applied on June 26th. Its almost 2 weeks to 4 months processing time period. Should I made a case specific enquiry or call to Chandigarh consulate to know the file status.

Can you please tell me if your husband went for medical at the time of the application. i was wondering because my wife has also applied OWP but she didn't go for medical at the time of application. she submitted her file at VFS Chandigarh on 25-Aug-2015.

nashid khan

Oct 10, 2015
fkl said:
Most certainly 2, even if you dont want your spouse to work.

It would take longer, but here is the key.

You do not plan to visit your spouse for a short trip, you intend to live with them. That is NOT what visitor trv is for. This is the classic case in which 90 out of 100 times you would get a rejection. The remaining 10 probably would be the ones who specified NOT A SHORT TERM VISIT but intention of living with spouse for as long as they are there.

The processing time would be the same as that of a work permit. Your spouse would have to undergo medicals.

But she would be eligible for health benefits right away and won't be restricted to 6 months of stay as the case for a visitor trv.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I was going to write, don't know who Altruists is, then changed my mind - googled and laughed a bit. Just sharing what is personal experience. Good luck
hahaha! Actually, that is what seemed appropriate to me for addressing all the good hearted helpful people of this forum; what you guys are doing is truly selfless and remarkable. Thank you so much from the core of my heart. I hope to get more advice on coming days. May God bless you all

Nashid

shahab01

Dec 30, 2014
hi
I am currently international student can I apply for my wife but her age is 17 years if someone has idea or experience please let me know.
Thanks

jassi2427

Oct 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-July-2015
Nomination.....
15-May-2015
AOR Received.
02-Nov-2015
Med's Done....
28-APR-2016
Passport Req..
21-OCT-2016
Can somebody please help me in this,

I am working in Canada NOC A, 2132 on graduate work permit. I have got PNP ontario and filed CIC PR as well. My wife has been refused tourist visa 2 times last year (Mar, dec 2014) when i was on student permit only. Now, My wife put open work permit application (Aug-2015) based on my job and PNP at VFS chandigarh. While filing, she submitted my job info, payslips, employment letter, PNP certificate copy, Fee recipet of CIC (as i dont have AOR yet). How much are the chances that she will get her work permit this time????

nashid khan

Oct 10, 2015
Dear fkl

I have two concerns regarding SWOP after going through a considerable number of posts in this forum.

1. If the purpose of SOWP is to be able to go and stay with your spouse and work there as long as the spouse is there, why does the visa officer consider "tie to home country" as an issue? shouldn't it only be an issue in case of TRV application rather than SWOP application?

2. Is there any expiration of Police Clearance certificate? e.g valid for 3 months

Will highly appreciate an answer. Thank you

Nashid

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
nashid khan said:
Dear fkl

I have two concerns regarding SWOP after going through a considerable number of posts in this forum.

1. If the purpose of SOWP is to be able to go and stay with your spouse and work there as long as the spouse is there, why does the visa officer consider "tie to home country" as an issue? shouldn't it only be an issue in case of TRV application rather than SWOP application?

2. Is there any expiration of Police Clearance certificate? e.g valid for 3 months

Will highly appreciate an answer. Thank you

Nashid

You are most welcome Nashid (to your previous comment).

1. Sure ties to home country remains a problem as long as you are on a temp status in Canada. E.g. if you got a work / study permit for a couple years. CIC wants to ensure by whatever standard they have that unless you actually got a visa renewal or PR, you would return at the end of that period and won't stay illegally in Canada. Unfortunately that has been a real scenario in the past years and hence weighs similarly on even work permits. E.g. i came here on a work permit, i still had to show strong ties by my employment history in home country. That was kind of a proof that i am making good money in home country so i won't have likely reasons to over stay illegally in Canada. However, if i was unemployed at the time of application that might be treated as a weak tie. For trv it is a short term issue i.e. over stay beyond six months. However, concept is the same.

2. Yes police certificates have an expiry - usually 3 to 6 months. They should be valid at time of application submission for SOWP.

shallu7287

May 29, 2014
jassi2427 said:
Can you please tell me if your husband went for medical at the time of the application. i was wondering because my wife has also applied OWP but she didn't go for medical at the time of application. she submitted her file at VFS Chandigarh on 25-Aug-2015.
Hi jassi
No he didn't go for medicals either.

jassi2427

Oct 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-July-2015
Nomination.....
15-May-2015
AOR Received.
02-Nov-2015
Med's Done....
28-APR-2016
Passport Req..
21-OCT-2016
shallu7287 said:
Hi jassi
No he didn't go for medicals either.
Thank you.

mfm

May 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
waiting for medical for 5 months now! What is wrong with CHC Islamabad!

mfm

May 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zain Ali said:
8 months :/

Really sad to know... im going next month to Pakistan for a couple of weeks... I think that would help me regain a chill mindset

cali

Star Member
Mar 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
syndney,Nova scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 6th,2015
Nomination.....
June 12,2015
AOR Received.
oct 2,2015
IELTS Request
sent along with application
Med's Request
updated in april
fkl said:
You have given a vague description. Got nomination but family was not included. Didn't it ask any where if you are married or not? I hope you didn't write no there since that could be treated as misrepresentation.

Any way if your family is included in PR application, then you are not required to hold a NOC 0, A or B job in order to apply for Open work and study permits. Still some proof of funds might be helpful along to show at least some degree of financial capability.
hi fkl,

i showed them iam married and i have a son,but in Alberta they only give nomination for the principal applicant not for the family as they do in Manitoba,so they where not included in the nomination letter as my job falls under NOC c so iam in confusion whether he is eligible for open work permit or not.
thanks