VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
danielsqueiroz said:
Another question... Does anyone knows how I have to request my wife's work permit after I was nominated on BCPNP?
Do I have to do it on my name requesting to my wife? Or she can just put on her name and attach our marriage certificate and my nomination...

Hope someone can help me!

Cheers,
Daniel
For every thing related to CIC, every one applies for himself (unless it is an authorized representative). So like you mentioned, she would apply for her own work permit, attaching proof of her marriage to you and your nomination certificate. I think the condition of showing NOC 0, A or B job does not hold once you have a provincial nomination. But since you have it, submitting it along with only make your case stronger. Just make both aspects very clear.

A) She is applying as spouse of a Provincial nominee
B) Coincidentally, her spouse is currently on a work permit and hold a skilled job as well

pk7

Star Member
Jan 9, 2015
Hello fkl,
I am from Pakistan and currently doing job in NOC A. but its a contract until April 2016. I am planning to apply for SOWP. What is your opinion and suggestion?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Hi pk7,

Well if you are planning to apply now, do it fast. If you are on a PGWP doing NOC A job, provide a detailed letter of job responsibilities proving your NOC.

If there is any possibility try to show details of plans afterwards e.g. if you are applying for PR or intend on getting new work permit.

Swathib

Mar 3, 2015
Hi all,

My husband is in Canada.I'm in India and planning to join him by April mid.
I'm planning to apply for OWP once I reach Canada.
Or can I apply for OWP from India itself and move to Canada by mid April.
Was looking for better option?What is general procedural time taken to get OWP when applied from outside Canada or from Canada.

Please suggest.

Regards,
Swathi.

subtain

Aug 12, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Hi All,

I am new to this thread. I would like to apply for my spouse open work permit. I need advice on some matters. My situation is:

- On PGWP until August 2016. Working with NOC A
- In process for Federal Part of PR after getting CSQ. Have not gotten file number (First Stage Approval) yet.
- For permanent residence, Spouse added as only a non-accompanying dependent. I won't mention the reason to keep this short. Will sponsor her after I get PR.

My Queries are:

1. Can my spouse apply for Open Work Permit, considering she is a Full-Time student university in her country back home ? (Because applying for an open work permit for Canada, while you are studying full time in your home country shows dual intentions)

2. I am planning to attach the following documents. Please advise if any document is missing.

a. My Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)
b. My Job letter with description of duties and Proof of NOC A
c. Proof of funds (Notice of assessment 2014, Recent salary statements & around $5k fund in Bank)
d. Proof of Marriage ( Marriage certificate, photos, invitation card. Skype, Facebook history ? )

3. I read somewhere in this thread, it will be better if my spouse applies after I get my First stage approval for Permanent residence. Is this correct?

I will really appreciate your valuable advice.

Thank you

Yogivrun

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
Spouse Open Work permit applying second time..

Hi,
I am in Calgary, Canada working in NOC B category for the past 2 months. I studied Lab technician on 2 years course. but I am Working in Civil Field. Its Permanent job. My spouse applied online for a work permit on 15 Jan, 2015 with the following documents.

i. Application form
ii. Marriage certificate
iv. Letter of explanation (Cover letter)
a. Copy of my visa
c. Copy of my Work permit
d. Copy of my Letter of Employment - In this I mentioned my Job position , annual salary, Permanent full time employee.
e. Copy of my passport.
f. Copy of my bank balance with 12000 $
g. Copy of my 15 days pay slip
v. Photo
vi. Copy of my wife's Passport

But still On 18 March, 2015 our open work permit application was refused for the following reasons.

You have not demonstrated that you meet the requirements of an open work permit under section 205(c)(ii) of the Regulations.

In my next application how do i defend these reasons? Is there any other documents i should add?

My wife is working in india..so is it necessary to put her job latter n her all documents??

As per my knowledge my application was refused cause of i did not mentioned my job duties...suggest me proper way.. reply me fast..

concorde

Star Member
Jun 16, 2014
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-08-2016
LANDED..........
11-08-2016
Now this was strange. I filed for SOWP on 27 Feb with all supporting documents from mine and wife's end. The file was refused today citing the visa officer wasn't convinced the she is working on NOC 0 A or B (despite all work related docs in place mentioning her detailed job responsibilities as well).

Now the trippy part is we paid $100 fee online. Today, I was re-taking the questionnaire to apply and the fee quoted has two components (OWP holder fee: $100 and the OWP processing fee: $155).

Checked out CIC website, and the notice says this $100 extra fee came into existence since 21 Feb. Surprising how my previous file from 27th got charged only $155. Anyone faced similar situation?

sreejimunthikodu

Star Member
Mar 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
SINP
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi,
We are from India.
I applied for Masters in university of Regina for fall 2015 intake. I am waiting for a positive response.
If I get an admission, I would like to take my spouse with me on SOWP.

I am in a dilemma whether to apply both study permit and SOWP together or study permit first. My visa agent says we can not apply both simultaneously. Is that true?

I have been searching for fund requirement for SOWP. But I could nit find any information. I am planning to show 15000 CAD savings in my account + bank loan documents covering tuition, cost of living etc. Also 15000 CAD in my wife's account. Is this sufficient for work permit and SOWP?

We have been married for more than two years. She is a software engineer in a reputed company. Someone please advice how to make our case strong.

Thanks,

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
concorde said:
Now this was strange. I filed for SOWP on 27 Feb with all supporting documents from mine and wife's end. The file was refused today citing the visa officer wasn't convinced the she is working on NOC 0 A or B (despite all work related docs in place mentioning her detailed job responsibilities as well).

Now the trippy part is we paid $100 fee online. Today, I was re-taking the questionnaire to apply and the fee quoted has two components (OWP holder fee: $100 and the OWP processing fee: $155).

Checked out CIC website, and the notice says this $100 extra fee came into existence since 21 Feb. Surprising how my previous file from 27th got charged only $155. Anyone faced similar situation?
You were charged that fee because more than likely you answered the eligibility questions that generated your checklist prior to the 21 Feb. They give you 60 days to complete the application from the date of the checklist so I think for them your application began when the checklist was generated. I actually have the same timeline as you and noticed the fee thing back then too. Haven't had any update on my application though but am not from India. Tell me, did you receive a notification when processing began on your application. Right now my profile still says OPEN.

MamBan

Mar 23, 2015
Hi there!

I have applied for spouse open work permit from New York. I submitted my application on 11th January 2015. The processing time according to the website is 3 months. Since I haven't travelled out of US in the past 6 months, medicals are optional for me. It has been 2.5 months and I haven't received anything from the consulate. I am not sure if this is a regular affair or if I should be concerned.

I also have a tourist visa to Canada. What is the difference between TRV and a tourist visa?

Anybody with the same experience from the New York office? I would appreciate a response.

Many thanks!
MB

rekha88

Sep 6, 2014
Swathib said:
Hi all,

My husband is in Canada.I'm in India and planning to join him by April mid.
I'm planning to apply for OWP once I reach Canada.
Or can I apply for OWP from India itself and move to Canada by mid April.
Was looking for better option?What is general procedural time taken to get OWP when applied from outside Canada or from Canada.

Please suggest.

Regards,
Swathi.
Hi Swathi,
As per the information you have provided, I am assuming that you already have a visitor visa with you.
Coming to the OWP, your husband can apply for you visa from canada as well. However, this will come under the category -application outside canada, as the applicant (you) is residing in India. Processing time in this case is 3-4 months.
On the other side, you can visit canada and apply for OWP. In this case, processing time is about 1 month.

In both cases there is certain amount of uncertainity. In the first case, if you are working in India, you can keep working till you get an approved OWP. In the second case, we might need to stay idle for couple of months considering the worst case.

Basically I am in the same boat as yours..myself in India on visitor visa and Husband in canada on work permit. He has applied for his wp extension. I am waiting for his extension to arrive to plan my trip(expecting in march-april).

Let me know if you need any further information.

Regards,
Rekha

skrnz

Mar 17, 2015
Hello All,
I'm a newbie to this forum I need some help from the experts and my fellow members who have applied for the SOWP.
My case is I’m here on a PGWP working under NOC B - 6223 category after my 2 years of Ontario General Business diploma , prior to this I have done my MBA in India .
Working as a permanent Full time Employee as a steel buyer. My work permit is valid till March 2017. Salary is $2700 Pm.
I want to apply for a SOWP for my wife. In January I have applied for a TRV through a representative which got rejected.
We got recently married in October 2014 and stayed together for nearly about 1 to one and half month and I returned back to Canada on December 3rd 20014
My wife is in India and She is working in Indian company in IT Field .she has completed her MBA and has nearly 4 Yrs of experience. Her salary is 3lakh per annum.
Can someone please share me the link for the SOWP and the list of documents required? And please suggest me if should ask my wife to apply from India or should I apply from Canada.
Please suggest which the appropriate link is for SOWP
IMM5488E or IMM5710E
And please suggest if we can create our PR file under Canadian Experience Class – Express Entry, as our points are summing up to 410. Will this affect the SOWP Application?
Kindly help me out with your valuable suggestions please.
Thanks

concorde

Star Member
Jun 16, 2014
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-08-2016
LANDED..........
11-08-2016
skrnz said:
Hello All,
I'm a newbie to this forum I need some help from the experts and my fellow members who have applied for the SOWP.
My case is I'm here on a PGWP working under NOC B - 6223 category after my 2 years of Ontario General Business diploma , prior to this I have done my MBA in India .
Working as a permanent Full time Employee as a steel buyer. My work permit is valid till March 2017. Salary is $2700 Pm.
I want to apply for a SOWP for my wife. In January I have applied for a TRV through a representative which got rejected.
We got recently married in October 2014 and stayed together for nearly about 1 to one and half month and I returned back to Canada on December 3rd 20014
My wife is in India and She is working in Indian company in IT Field .she has completed her MBA and has nearly 4 Yrs of experience. Her salary is 3lakh per annum.
Can someone please share me the link for the SOWP and the list of documents required? And please suggest me if should ask my wife to apply from India or should I apply from Canada.
Please suggest which the appropriate link is for SOWP
IMM5488E or IMM5710E
And please suggest if we can create our PR file under Canadian Experience Class – Express Entry, as our points are summing up to 410. Will this affect the SOWP Application?
Kindly help me out with your valuable suggestions please.
Thanks
Hi

TRVs in such cases from outside Canada invariably get rejected because it is fairly difficult to convince a visa officer that your spouse would leave Canada after spending sometime with you when you guys have been married recently. Go for SOWP itself with an honest explanation letter about your intentions. Fortofy your case with detailed proof of relationship (pics, marriage cert, etc), your employment details including offer letter, detailed job responsibilities, pay stubs.

Another key thing in your case would be how strong your wife's roots are to your home country. She should attach her employment letters, salary slips, education docs, and assets/savings on her name to make the case stronger.

Also, 410 is a fairly good score for EE. I hope you have entered into EE pool already. Also, don't worry, it won't affect your spouse's OWP app. Cheers!!

DIVYAZABI

Dec 3, 2012
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Chennai, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-15, 2013
Passport Req..
July-16, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July-17,2013
LANDED..........
Sep-09,2013
ButterflyChemist said:
You were charged that fee because more than likely you answered the eligibility questions that generated your checklist prior to the 21 Feb. They give you 60 days to complete the application from the date of the checklist so I think for them your application began when the checklist was generated. I actually have the same timeline as you and noticed the fee thing back then too. Haven't had any update on my application though but am not from India. Tell me, did you receive a notification when processing began on your application. Right now my profile still says OPEN.

Even I applied for SOWP on 20th Feb for my spouse, who is currently in Canada on Visitor's visa and no updates yet. It says "OPEN". Hopefully should expect something from CIC towards end of April or even middle of the month.