+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

MamBan

Mar 23, 2015
Hello!

I applied for spouse open work permit from NYC consulate on January 11th, 2015. The processing time on the website says 3 months. It will be 3 months soon. I haven't received medicals request yet although I did read that applicants based in USA may not need a medical exam. Either way I have no news apart from my application being open and no request has been made for more information or documents.

I am a little concerned at this time. Anybody with similar experience?

Is this normal?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

MB

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
MamBan said:
Hello!

I applied for spouse open work permit from NYC consulate on January 11th, 2015. The processing time on the website says 3 months. It will be 3 months soon. I haven't received medicals request yet although I did read that applicants based in USA may not need a medical exam. Either way I have no news apart from my application being open and no request has been made for more information or documents.

Is this normal?

MB

It is certainly possible to have no response by now. What you can do is around the time your 3 months are up, you can submit a case specific inquiry along with all details of yourself (name, dob, passport, contact info etc.)

Just google CIC case specific inquiry and you would see a form for that.

Even if you only hear that your file is in process, you would at least get a confirm that is fine and they might send you file number along if you dont have that already.

MamBan

Mar 23, 2015
This is freaky! As soon as I posted a query here I got an email from CIC asking for my passport. That's good news I suppose! Well, thank you for your response FKL. Appreciate it!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
MamBan said:
This is freaky! As soon as I posted a query here I got an email from CIC asking for my passport. That's good news I suppose! Well, thank you for your response FKL. Appreciate it!
You are most welcome. Glad to hear it worked out - Congrats

Perhaps you should have posted on forums earlier ;)

MamBan

Mar 23, 2015
I should have. If it helps others, I included the documents mentioned below:

1. My husband's docs
a. Passport front and back
b. Visa copy
c. Work permit copy
d. Job offer letter that included roles and responsibilities, pay, and employer details
e. Pay slips - 3 months
f. Masters degree certificate
g. Bachelors degree certificate
2. My docs
a. Passport front and back copy
b. Visa copy (USA and Canada visitor visa)
c. Job offer letter
d. Employer reference letter stating I work with them currently
e. Pay slips - 3 months
f. Bank statement
g. Masters degree certificate
h. Bachelors degree certificate

3. Other supporting docs
a. Marriage certificate
b. Ticket stubs of travel for wedding
c. Couple pictures
d. Invitation letter from husband to wife

4. I filled out open work permit application only

Since I live in the US, I didn't need medicals done.

I included all docs under 1, 2, and 3 in the same word file, reduced image sizes, and converted the word doc to a PDF format.

I hope this helps.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
@MamBan - that is good - thanks for posting. I am sure it would be helpful to others. +1

xi

Jan 30, 2015
MamBan said:
Hello!

Is this normal?

MB
Hey MB mine is the same case. I have to apply at NYC consulate for my spouse. Can you give me more details about your application including documents you submitted and your professional background in Canada. Thanks

subtain

Aug 12, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Hi good people of this thread,

I am gathering documents to apply for my wife Open Work Permit.

I was wondering if anyone can help me (by providing sample or pointers) with format of:

1. Letter of invitation provided by spouse in Canada for spouse open work permit.
2. Letter of intent given by spouse in home country.

Thank you for keeping this thread alive and making a difference.

monanis

Apr 11, 2015
Hi,

I need you hepl plz!!

I applied online for my spouse open work permit on VFS abu dhabi on 14 January 2015 got 2 emails updates on the same month and 2 others automatique emails monthly in Feb and Mars telling "there is no updates thanks for you patience". My husband applied in October and got his work permit on 2 months and 15 days in dubai also he applied under an exempt LMIA programm called the french significant benefit programm. My question is: my application will be under the same progamm of my husband which didn't take the same timing of the normal application submitted in Abu dhabi (normaly processing time is 10 months) or no?? If it is not the same, do you know normaly how long an open work permit is taking time??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

subtain

Aug 12, 2013
Montreal, Canada
monanis said:
Hi,

I need you hepl plz!!

I applied online for my spouse open work permit on VFS abu dhabi on 14 January 2015 got 2 emails updates on the same month and 2 others automatique emails monthly in Feb and Mars telling "there is no updates thanks for you patience". My husband applied in October and got his work permit on 2 months and 15 days in dubai also he applied under an exempt LMIA programm called the french significant benefit programm. My question is: my application will be under the same progamm of my husband which didn't take the same timing of the normal application submitted in Abu dhabi (normaly processing time is 10 months) or no?? If it is not the same, do you know normaly how long an open work permit is taking time??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
The processing time of your work permit will be the standard time for an open work permit as stated in http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/workers.asp#africa . However, these are average time lines. If your application is complete, then you will probably get it earlier than the average time.

Good luck !!

makel25

Star Member
Jun 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
HK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2013
Med's Request
13/03/2014
Med's Done....
17/03/2014
Passport Req..
20/03/2014
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2014
LANDED..........
13/05/2014
Guys anyone apply via online application spousal open permit? if so what did you upload on the eterinary? Coz you have to apply for the visa first right so you dont have yet a plane ticket or booking to upload. anybody? Thx guys

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
makel25 said:
Guys anyone apply via online application spousal open permit? if so what did you upload on the eterinary? Coz you have to apply for the visa first right so you dont have yet a plane ticket or booking to upload. anybody? Thx guys
I don't know if it asks for itinerary. Assuming some thing changed latter etc, you can still do a tentative online booking. You do not need to purchase ticket or any thing upon submitting visa application.

Visa office also knows this very well. So it is of little value.

pk7

Star Member
Jan 9, 2015
Hello fkl,

I asked you earlier regarding SOWP. My job is until March 23, 2016 and my work permit is expiring in November 2016. My wife is all set to apply for SOWP. We held our application for a while seeing the drop in EE as my score is 426. But now I decided to apply for SOWP. Could you please tell me that what if we get ITA while our SOWP application is in process? What we can do in that case?

Thanks

subtain

Aug 12, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Hello everyone,

I am re-posting this in case someone missed it. I am gathering documents to apply for my wife Open Work Permit.

Can someone please guide me what to write in:

1. Letter of intent given by spouse in home country.
2. Supporting Letter provided by spouse in Canada.

Thank you in advance for your help.