+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

Coremark1996

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
I have applied SOWP online on 28th March without upfromt medical, today I got a biometric validity letter, apparently they are going to refuse my application, :( :( here is my profile
My wife got study visa on 15 Jan 2019 and she got deffer her admission to May semester, We got married after she got visa (on 15 February 2019 got married) we spent almost 45 days together after marriage on her way to Canada we went together to Dubai and spent one day there too.

I submitted,
My wife study permit, her visa, her bank statement (from Canada 10000 CAD), letter of invitation from her,

My bank statement (16000 CAD), marriage certificate, police character certificate, my cover letter, marriage pics and Dubai tour pics, my Dubai visa, support letter from my father, property and business evaluation documents

Now, please advise what did I miss? the only think what I am thinking my wife was not married when she got student visa and her status changed after getting visa, any idea and suggestion for new application?

May 18, 2019
My wife's inland SOWP has been approved! Here is her timeline:

Inland spouse sponsorship PR and SOWP mailed to CPC in Mississauga, ON: 4 Dec 2018

Inland spouse sponsorship PR and SOWP application received by CPC in Mississauga, ON: 10 Dec 2018

PR application linked to online account: 9 Feb 2019

SOWP returned to us by mail as incomplete (paid OWP fee, but application required OWP fee and WP fee): 12 Feb 2019

SOWP mailed to CPC in Edmonton, AB: 13 Feb 2019

SOWP received by CPC in Edmonton, AB: 18 Feb 2019

SOWP linked to online account: 1 April 2019

SOWP approved: 17 May 2019

The original SOWP rejection came with a letter stating that the application had originally been submitted with a inland spouse PR application. We had to include that letter in the second SOWP application.

The second fee was an oversight as the IMM 5710 document checklist just says to "pay required fees"; no specification on which fees to pay per application type (initial OWP, work permit extension, etc). It seemed logical that the OWP fee would not need a WP fee but it was the wrong assumption on my part. Pay both the fees folks! XD

Note that my wife's SOWP was approved within 2 IRCC working days of me (the sponsor) passing the eligibility check (SA stage passed) for the PR application. Not sure if that's a coincidence or if the SOWP approval is dependent on the inland PR application reaching the SA stage.

Our PR is currently in IP2. Hoping for good news on that soon.

From what I've observed in several forums, a lot of 2019 SOWP applicants are receiving their SOWP approvals around the 3 month mark, although the IRCC quotes 4, 4-5 months.

Cheers.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019
My wife's inland SOWP has been approved! Here is her timeline:

Inland spouse sponsorship PR and SOWP mailed to CPC in Mississauga, ON: 4 Dec 2019

Inland spouse sponsorship PR and SOWP application received by CPC in Mississauga, ON: 10 Dec 2018

PR application linked to online account: 9 Feb 2019

SOWP returned to us by mail as incomplete (paid OWP fee, but application required OWP fee and WP fee): 12 Feb 2019

SOWP mailed to CPC in Edmonton, AB: 13 Feb 2019

SOWP received by CPC in Edmonton, AB: 18 Feb 2019

SOWP linked to online account: 1 April 2019

SOWP approved: 17 May 2019

The original SOWP rejection came with a letter stating that the application had originally been submitted with a inland spouse PR application. We had to include that letter in the second SOWP application.

The second fee was an oversight as the IMM 5710 document checklist just says to "pay required fees"; no specification on which fees to pay per application type (initial OWP, work permit extension, etc). It seemed logical that the OWP fee would not need a WP fee but it was the wrong assumption on my part. Pay both the fees folks! XD

Note that my wife's SOWP was approved within 2 IRCC working days of me (the sponsor) passing the eligibility check (SA stage passed) for the PR application. Not sure if that's a coincidence or if the SOWP approval is dependent on the inland PR application reaching the SA stage.

Our PR is currently in IP2. Hoping for good news on that soon.

Last point, as the sponsor, I am a Canadian citizen, not a PR. Not sure if this affects approval rates.

From what I've observed in several forums, a lot of 2019 SOWP applicants are receiving their SOWP approvals around the 3 month mark, although the IRCC quotes 4, 4-5 months.

Cheers.
Correction: Inland spouse sponsorship PR and SOWP mailed to CPC in Mississauga, ON: 4 Dec 2018

justpayel

May 21, 2019
Hi,

I have applied for my husband's SOWP online on 11th March. But a review of eligibility is still showing as in progress. He is currently in Canada on visitor visa and I am on work permit. Can anyone please suggest how long do we need to wait to get an update?

Azmi

May 18, 2019
I have applied SOWP online on 28th March without upfromt medical, today I got a biometric validity letter, apparently they are going to refuse my application, :( :( here is my profile
My wife got study visa on 15 Jan 2019 and she got deffer her admission to May semester, We got married after she got visa (on 15 February 2019 got married) we spent almost 45 days together after marriage on her way to Canada we went together to Dubai and spent one day there too.

I submitted,
My wife study permit, her visa, her bank statement (from Canada 10000 CAD), letter of invitation from her,

My bank statement (16000 CAD), marriage certificate, police character certificate, my cover letter, marriage pics and Dubai tour pics, my Dubai visa, support letter from my father, property and business evaluation documents

Now, please advise what did I miss? the only think what I am thinking my wife was not married when she got student visa and her status changed after getting visa, any idea and suggestion for new application?
Hi
I’m waiting since December 2018.
Biometric done.
Hear in Dubai take long time to process the application.
Hope for the best..

Coremark1996

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Hi
I’m waiting since December 2018.
Biometric done.
Hear in Dubai take long time to process the application.
Hope for the best..
Are you Indian nationals, if yes you can send an email as time is 5 weeks for Indian, for Pakistani time is 9 weeks still u can send an email and check the status of your application

Coremark1996

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Hi,

I have applied for my husband's SOWP online on 11th March. But a review of eligibility is still showing as in progress. He is currently in Canada on visitor visa and I am on work permit. Can anyone please suggest how long do we need to wait to get an update?
Wait couple of more weeks and then you can send a case specific enquire about your app

Azmi

May 18, 2019
Are you Indian nationals, if yes you can send an email as time is 5 weeks for Indian, for Pakistani time is 9 weeks still u can send an email and check the status of your application
Hi
I’m a Srilankan national.
Earlier we have send the mail,they replied still in waiting to review.it was March.
Today we send mail again.
My husband work permit will expire on August.
I don’t know whether will they approve or no,,,

sujeetdahiya

Star Member
May 6, 2019
India
Hey Guys ,
Here is a snapshot of my application
Applied on 5th April along with Biometric and Passport
Medical Request 12th April
Medical Done 17th April
Got confirmation For medical 23 April
Application Approved 21st May.

Thanks ,

Note-After discussing and spending lots of money on consultants,I applied it by my own .If anyone needs help drop me a mail on sujeetdahiya02@gmail.com

Kindle_91

May 22, 2019
Hi,
I'm from India and my husband has applied online on 3rd March 2019 with medical document.
Also, on 13th March 2019 Biometric also updated in my online profile. Since Than it’s showing background check and application is under process.

Although the timeline for India is 5 weeks which is already crossed and its been now 10 weeks and till date my online profile is showing review of eligibility. When can I expect my visa ? Can anyone guide what shall I do?

sujeetdahiya

Star Member
May 6, 2019
India
Hi,
I'm from India and my husband has applied online on 3rd March 2019 with medical document.
Also, on 13th March 2019 Biometric also updated in my online profile. Since Than it’s showing background check and application is under process.

Although the timeline for India is 5 weeks which is already crossed and its been now 10 weeks and till date my online profile is showing review of eligibility. When can I expect my visa ? Can anyone guide what shall I do?
You can put a mail to embassy for case specific information.When you applied at in March processing time was 12-14 weeks .So still you have time or you can put a mail for that

Kindle_91

May 22, 2019
You can put a mail to embassy for case specific information.When you applied at in March processing time was 12-14 weeks .So still you have time or you can put a mail for that

Thanks Sujeet for responding. Can you please apprise me whether the timeline for SOWP is varies depending on in during which month applied ?

cyrilcb11

Jul 30, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Thanks to God. My wife’s application is approved. We did upfront medicals and biometrics on the second day. If your application is past due date, please contact CIC. They are processing it way faster than it’s ever been.

Azmi

May 18, 2019
Thanks to God. My wife’s application is approved. We did upfront medicals and biometrics on the second day. If your application is past due date, please contact CIC. They are processing it way faster than it’s ever been.
Hi
Where dd u applied from