+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hello Guys,
I have applied SOWP for my husband and 3 year old child on 28 November without upfront medical. Didn't get any update yet. Can anyone please tell, how long it normally takes in same situation.
Normal processing time varies from 12-16 weeks. We can not do anything unless the normal processing time is breached. You ll have to wait thats all dear. Once the normal processing times is breached, we can take things ahead.

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Dear all,
I have got work permit and my spouse got TRV from India. We are planning to travel in mid of February 2018. However I have also applied for Online Spousal Open Work Permit for my wife on 6th December 2017. No further updates yet for her visa. The visa processing time shows about 12 weeks as of today.
Can anyone help me with following questions
1) Anybody applied online in the month of December 2017 ? Whats the update?
Anyone else's update on their file will not help you to get an idea.. processing times vary from file to file. approx 12-16 weeks is normal.
2) As she has TRV , We could go to Canada but how to track OWP as its applied from India?
If she is planning to join you asap, applying from India was a big mistake. She already has TRV, she could have applied for OWP from canada itself which takes way less time than what it takes in india.
3) Can she try I.T jobs from India , now it self?
Untill she has Work Permit, companies would not be interested. TRV does not give the right to work.

This is what I would suggest, you being in Canada call CIC and ask for guidance. She being in india can call High Comission of Canada New Delhi office and check with them if they can guide somehow (I doubt in india they help will on call).

Best bet: My advice would be to cancel this application and once she joins you in canada, apply for an open work permit from there itself.
Coming back to india to submit her passport for Work Permit would be a great deal in itself. Rest the decision is yours mate. Call CIC in Canada first, then decide.

Many thanks

Canshasha

Jan 7, 2018
Hi Simar,

The thing with CIC is that you never know what is enough. But you should make sure that things that are must should be stated in your application forthrightly.
In order to apply for SOWP, NOC category is a must. Now if the officer is nice and has some free time, he could definitely look up for your role and responsibilities to find out the correct NOC category that you fit in. But if he is "not in the mood", he could simply say that the supporting docs did not support your employment type in Canada. In any case, if you receive a rejection with this reason, just request them to reconsider your case and submit the appropriate letter stating your NOC category, signed by your employer.

Best,
Shiv
Hi ,
I need your advice please.
my husband is a chef working NOC B in Canada.
I applied for a SOWP on first week of December online using a paid representative. I submit my husband's offer letter and employment verification and Copy of LMIA.
His NOC code is not mentioned in his offer and employment verification letter. But job and responsibilities are mentioned. But in LMIA his NOC code is mentioned. I also attatched his resume clearly mentioning NOC code. Also lawyer has mentioned my husband NOC code in his letter too. Will that be enough for positive reply.

Really appreciate your reply.thanks

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Hi ,
I need your advice please.
my husband is a chef working NOC B in Canada.
I applied for a SOWP on first week of December online using a paid representative. I submit my husband's offer letter and employment verification and Copy of LMIA.
His NOC code is not mentioned in his offer and employment verification letter. But job and responsibilities are mentioned. But in LMIA his NOC code is mentioned. I also attatched his resume clearly mentioning NOC code. Also lawyer has mentioned my husband NOC code in his letter too. Will that be enough for positive reply.

Really appreciate your reply.thanks
More than enough! :) Cheers! If your husband has a Provincial Nomination, just provide that to CIC and thats it! Provincial Nomination has Designation mentioned on it.

Reactions: Canshasha

assadraza2696

Jan 11, 2018
Hello Guys

I need your help regarding my spouse's open work permit application.

We signed our marriage contract and took vows over the video conference in August 2016 as I was not able to attend the ceremony due to some commitments here in Canada. She applied for OPW and got refusal saying that she is exculded family member as per section 186 5(c) which states both spouses have to be physically present.

I travelled to Pakistan in August 2017 and we had grand wedding ceremony and reception in our physical presence. However, we did not signed the contract again and marriage certificate was still dated 5 august 2016. She applied again with photos and all the relevent documents along with a letter of support from local MP but got refusal yesterday with the same objection.

What should I do now to satisfy the officer? My marriage is legal according to the law of juridisction where it took place and can not be re done. However, it might be possible to renew the vows and contract and get a new marriage certificate with the dates when I will be physically there again to re sign the contract. Should that be an option to satisfy Visa Officer?

I appreciate your help. Please advice as we both are suffering from depression due to this situation.

Note: we have our permanent residency application in process as well here in canada.

Thanks,

KULAR_RAMAN

Dec 9, 2017
Hi there, do not quit your JOB. It may affect your PR file if a verification comes in after you have left the job. WHat is your status in canada and what is you job NOC code? If you are working under NOC code A,B or O. You can apply for Open Work Permit and Temporary Resident Visa for your spouse. You would be having a PNP i assume.
Yea ,, i have applied mpnp pr in 2016 sept i got aor in dec 2016 .. two of my friends got their medical requests last week but i am still waiting.. I don't knw .. i am worried.. i have my work permit till october 2018.. do you think i will get pr before that? I work as a security guard. So this comes under NOC C category..

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Yea ,, i have applied mpnp pr in 2016 sept i got aor in dec 2016 .. two of my friends got their medical requests last week but i am still waiting.. I don't knw .. i am worried.. i have my work permit till october 2018.. do you think i will get pr before that? I work as a security guard. So this comes under NOC C category..
Generally PR should come within 8-10 months from the date they receive the application.

travel2Canada

Jan 8, 2018
Thanks Gaurav for your time, couple of clarifications /questions

>> This is what I would suggest, you being in Canada call CIC and ask for guidance. She being in india can call High Comission of Canada New Delhi office and check with them if they can guide somehow (I doubt in india they help will on call).

I'm in India at the moment, Is there any way to call Canada CIC from here?

I will wait till my travel date ie on Feb 2nd Week and if there is still no progress , I will cancel and apply from Canada after landing there.

gauravsharma11210

Star Member
Nov 16, 2017
Thanks Gaurav for your time, couple of clarifications /questions

>> This is what I would suggest, you being in Canada call CIC and ask for guidance. She being in india can call High Comission of Canada New Delhi office and check with them if they can guide somehow (I doubt in india they help will on call).

I'm in India at the moment, Is there any way to call Canada CIC from here?

I will wait till my travel date ie on Feb 2nd Week and if there is still no progress , I will cancel and apply from Canada after landing there.
You can't call CIC Canada helpline from outside Canada. You can ask a relativeor friend in Canada who has 3-way calling and knows how to use it to set you up by calling the CIC number himself and then add you to the call as the 3rd party.