+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

ankuraxy

May 16, 2016
Hi All,

Currently I am working on a closed WP here in Canada and I need to apply OWP for my wife who is currently on dependent visa. Can anyone please tell me the documents required to be submitted?

After filling the questionnaire, the required document list generated is : IMM5710E, Marriage Certificate, Medical Certificate, Passport, Family Member Canadian Status (It will be mine in this case) and Photo.

Is there anything else which needs to be submitted?

Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
nshakelly said:
I wish they do that kind of analysis. As per the reference link, I fall under the high category.

Hope all goes through well at a fast pace.
They certainly do - when I applied years ago with spouse and 3 kids, my spouse wasn't working and I submitted negligible amount of funds available in my account. Of course I had a specialized high paying job offer with years of experience in the same area in home country and was well paid in home country too. Same goes with many other friends and none had any issues with their permits.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
ankuraxy said:
Hi All,

Currently I am working on a closed WP here in Canada and I need to apply OWP for my wife who is currently on dependent visa. Can anyone please tell me the documents required to be submitted?

After filling the questionnaire, the required document list generated is : IMM5710E, Marriage Certificate, Medical Certificate, Passport, Family Member Canadian Status (It will be mine in this case) and Photo.

Is there anything else which needs to be submitted?

Thanks
By closed work permit, I assume you mean LMIA based one. Still its better to attach proof that your job is skilled i.e. detailed job description and proof that you are currently working (a recent pay stub will do) and proof of your spouse's current status in Canada.

ankuraxy

May 16, 2016
fkl said:
By closed work permit, I assume you mean LMIA based one. Still its better to attach proof that your job is skilled i.e. detailed job description and proof that you are currently working (a recent pay stub will do) and proof of your spouse's current status in Canada.

Thanks for the quick reply fkl.

I don't have LMIA. But I just checked, my job profile comes under skill level A- 2174.
My questions are:
1) Under which category am I supposed to upload these documents as there is no option for the optional/Additional documents. Can I upload the all these documents mentioned by you under the category "Family Member proof of status". If yes, then I'll upload Latest Pay Stub, Tax returns doc, my resume (for job description), Proof of my wife's current status. Do you think it will do?
2) My wife's surname was changed in 2012. When I applied for her dependent visa in 2015 , I didn't mention that she had previously used other Name (Surname). I want to mention it now, will it create any problem? FYI, the old surname is there in all of her degree certificates.

Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
ankuraxy said:
Thanks for the quick reply fkl.

I don't have LMIA. But I just checked, my job profile comes under skill level A- 2174.
My questions are:
1) Under which category am I supposed to upload these documents as there is no option for the optional/Additional documents. Can I upload the all these documents mentioned by you under the category "Family Member proof of status". If yes, then I'll upload Latest Pay Stub, Tax returns doc, my resume (for job description), Proof of my wife's current status. Do you think it will do?
2) My wife's surname was changed in 2012. When I applied for her dependent visa in 2015 , I didn't mention that she had previously used other Name (Surname). I want to mention it now, will it create any problem? FYI, the old surname is there in all of her degree certificates.

Thanks
You are most welcome.

1. If you don't have LMIA you have to provide very detailed proof of your job being NOC A i.e. A detailed recent employment letter describing your duties (and I am 2174 too so no, writing software engineer is not enough) along with a recent pay stub tax docs etc. would do. Its fine to do it under the category you mentioned. Just its better to attach a table of contents for all docs you are attaching.

2. I don't think mentioning a previous surname would be a problem now. It might be a problem if you had applied PR without it. Mention it now and keep in mind that when you apply for PR, you would have to attach affidavit for that i.e. a simple letter notarized by any notary which says like this was my surname before marriage and these are the same person etc.

ankuraxy

May 16, 2016
fkl said:
You are most welcome.

1. If you don't have LMIA you have to provide very detailed proof of your job being NOC A i.e. A detailed recent employment letter describing your duties (and I am 2174 too so no, writing software engineer is not enough) along with a recent pay stub tax docs etc. would do. Its fine to do it under the category you mentioned. Just its better to attach a table of contents for all docs you are attaching.

2. I don't think mentioning a previous surname would be a problem now. It might be a problem if you had applied PR without it. Mention it now and keep in mind that when you apply for PR, you would have to attach affidavit for that i.e. a simple letter notarized by any notary which says like this was my surname before marriage and these are the same person etc.
Thanks a lot again for all the suggestions.It is really helpful.

PasumarthyHarsha

May 16, 2016
Hi Guys,

Please help me, I'm applying for Spousal Work permit for my wife. I do have a PGWP till March 2017.
What kind of Immi forms should i fill

1. IMM1295E
2. IMM5645E

I had a doubt on the next form whether to fill IMM5257B_1 form or IMM5257E. Please let me know.
More over in 1295E form there's a field called "Details of Intended work in Canada" - what should i fill there (open work permit or Exemption from LMIA).

These are the documents i have, please suggest me, do i need to submit any other supporting documents.

Wife's Documents:
---------------------------------
10th certificate
Intermediate
B.tech - Provisional certificate
B.tech - Consolidated marks memo
Passport - front
Passport - Back
Health Checkup doc
Date of Birth certificate
pan card
2 Individual photos
Birth Certificate
My documents
--Last 3 months Pay slips
--Canada Work Visa
--NOC 2175
--Passport - front
--Passport - Back
--T4
--Canada Post FGraduate Work Permit
--Marriage Certificate
--Birth Certificate
Marriage Photos
Bank Statements
Employer Letter
Notice of Assessment 2015
Application letter from Husband

Please guide me.

mruhomau

May 11, 2016
fkl, thank you for your reponse. I am currently in a dilemma and thinking what would be the fasted way.

scenario 1 : apply for outland ( apparently it takes only about 4-5 months for US citizens )

scenario 2 : apply for inland ( which can take up to two years ) and once the inland application is submitted, submit the application for the open work permit.

which one would you suggest me to do ?

JVijay123

Apr 14, 2016
Hi,

I am working on a work permit from past 1 year on a NOC A job. Now I am planning to apply for open work permit for my wife and need some help in completing the IMM5710 application form.

1. She has Bachelors degree and is planning to work in Malls as a helper in the stores. She has worked for Muthoot Finance as junior executive but don't have all the job documents ( Offer letter or the relieving letter ) along with her. So what kind of job details should I provide under "Details of Intended Work in Canada".
2.What should be the details under prospective employer and the location of employment in Canada.

Anybody who has applied for this type of jobs, please help.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
mruhomau said:
fkl, thank you for your reponse. I am currently in a dilemma and thinking what would be the fasted way.

scenario 1 : apply for outland ( apparently it takes only about 4-5 months for US citizens )

scenario 2 : apply for inland ( which can take up to two years ) and once the inland application is submitted, submit the application for the open work permit.

which one would you suggest me to do ?
You are welcome. Things are the way you stated. I don't see the dilemma here.

You have to kind of choose between

a) Being together asap - come here, apply inland and get Open work permit. The only downside is that PR would come a bit latter.
b) Apply outland from US.

I don't know personally much about outland from US being that faster though it is likely true.

I would chose A any day. But every one's priorities and situation is different. You can't have both.

And who knows, you might get lucky with in land processing turning out faster (Current government seem to have it on its priority list, but we don't know if gets effective any time soon) as opposed to relying on outland completing faster - still 4 to 6 months and could possibly take any length of time.

lakshmikoppala

Star Member
Dec 26, 2015
HI FKL
I Have applied for my husband SOWp on march 18th through online through lawyer in canada.No updates still.We havent done any medicals still.'s it still going to take more time.or else Can I do a SOWP paper application in india or apply for Visit visa which takes less time.It almost 2 months now.We are in dilemma now ?Please suggest.

JazzB

Star Member
May 30, 2014
Hello everyone,

I need a help from you guys.

I have a friend of mine. He was an international student and did two courses of 8 months each (total 16 months) considered to be 2 program of 1 year each. Ideally he should get two or three years post-graduation work permit after his studies. But he got work-permit of only for one year. When he called CIC they said that they didn't check his documents properly and they will process the request and send updated work permit within next three months.

Now problem is when he got hard copy of his work permit in mail, there is different UCI number mentioned on it than what was on the student permit.

He want to get visitor visa so that he can visit his country and come back in canada.

So what should be done at this time??

Please suggest.

guru1313

Star Member
Apr 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
NOC A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......