+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open work permit refusal. What next?

Pocketlive

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
I am an international student in Canada. My husband and three kids applied for spouse open work permit but were refused. We are thinking of applying again but for visitors visa. Should we apply for an open work permit again or change our application to visitors visa. If we change to visitors visa, can our application be refused based on that? Thanks as you respond.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Any application can be refused and frankly, I don't see how they'd be approved for TRVs. The point of a visit is to be temporary, but it sounds like your intent is to remain together in Canada. What would compel them to return to your home country and not overstay illegally with you? Furthermore, you would need to show proof you have enough money to support four other people without your spouse working, and you only working part-time at most.

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020
I am an international student in Canada. My husband and three kids applied for spouse open work permit but were refused. We are thinking of applying again but for visitors visa. Should we apply for an open work permit again or change our application to visitors visa. If we change to visitors visa, can our application be refused based on that? Thanks as you respond.
Hi! I applied for SOWP too. What were your reasons for refusal?

contactrajesh

Oct 4, 2020
Hi, I am planning to apply for SOWP with my program end date as 30-Dec-2020, what is the reason for your refusal and when did you apply.

And as for as visitor visa is concerned, it is mostly not getting processed due to pandemic. Thanks,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am planning to apply for SOWP with my program end date as 30-Dec-2020, what is the reason for your refusal and when did you apply.

And as for as visitor visa is concerned, it is mostly not getting processed due to pandemic. Thanks,
OWP and TRVs are not guaranteed for spouses and children of international students. Some get approved and some get denied. Doing an advanced degree like a masters or OhD helps your application. You need extra finances to show that you can support your family if both parents don’t find work. If you have only recently been married and don’t have a lot of relationship proof, like in an arranged marriage, the probability of approval decreases because those committing immigration fraud also get married to people who already have study or work permits.

Pocketlive

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Any application can be refused and frankly, I don't see how they'd be approved for TRVs. The point of a visit is to be temporary, but it sounds like your intent is to remain together in Canada. What would compel them to return to your home country and not overstay illegally with you? Furthermore, you would need to show proof you have enough money to support four other people without your spouse working, and you only working part-time at most.

Pocketlive

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Thanks for replying. I'm just confused on why our application was refused. Since they refused our application for SOWP, am thinking we can apply for visitors visa and then he will change it to an open work permit when gets here. We showed enough fund. I didn't show any proof of fund from my side. My husband did and it was enough. They didn't mention financial inadequacies in the gcms note, at all. All they mentioned was that the reason for coming to Canada is unclear and vague; I don't understand that part. Again, he applied from Saudi where he work and live and not from our home country. Am beyond confused on the way forward.

Last edited:

Pocketlive

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
OWP and TRVs are not guaranteed for spouses and children of international students. Some get approved and some get denied. Doing an advanced degree like a masters or OPhDhelps your application. You need extra finances to show that you can support your family if both parents don’t find work. If you have only recently been married and don’t have a lot of relationship proof, like in an arranged marriage, the probability of approval decreases because those committing immigration fraud also get married to people who already have study or work permits.
Thanks for responding. I just want to know if one can still apply for TRV after one might have applied for SWOP initially. Will it be refused based on the fact that we changed our application to a visitors visa. I want to know if some people have done that before and later got the visa. I am a full-time master's student in school with DLI. We have been married for 8 years and with three kids. We showed all the prove; wedding certificate, wedding pictures, kids naming ceremony pictures and all. My husband showed enough fund from his side, and they didn't mention anything about the financial aspect of the application in the gcms note. All the mentioned was his reason for coming to Canada is vague and not well explained. The gcms note also states that he did not show ties to is country of residence. He works and lives in Saudi and he applied there.we showed enough ties to our home country.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Thanks for replying. I'm just confused on why our application was refused. Since they refused our application for SOWP, am thinking we can apply for visitors visa and then he will change it to an open work permit when gets here. We showed enough fund. I didn't show any proof of fund from my side. My husband did and it was enough. They didn't mention financial inadequacies in the gcms note, at all. All they mentioned was that the reason for coming to Canada is unclear and vague; I don't understand that part. Again, he applied from Saudi where he work and live and not from our home country. Am beyond confused on the way forward.
SOWP is not guaranteed. The visa officer is not satisfied that he will leave at the end of his stay. Or that he do don't meet the requirements for a work permit.

Pocketlive

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
Hi! I applied for SOWP too. What were your reasons for refusal?
Well, the gcms note states that the reasons for undertaking the proposed employment appear vague and poorly documented. He applied for SOWP and the last time I checked he does not need a job offer before he can be approved. The officer also mentioned that his immigration status in his country of residence is temporary, he works in Saudi but we are from Ghana.This situation got me really confused.

Pocketlive

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
SOWP is not guaranteed. The visa officer is not satisfied that he will leave at the end of his stay. Or that he do don't meet the requirements for a work permit.
I know it is not guaranteed, but what other requirements does he need for SOWP. To my understanding, there is a difference between SOWP and other open work permit.

Reactions: Etjigger

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
I know it is not guaranteed, but what other requirements does he need for SOWP. To my understanding, there is a difference between SOWP and other open work permit.
No. You have to meet the requirements of the SOWP in addition to a work permit application.