+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit - Online Application - Approved (Timeline)

viralraiyani

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I applied for my wife's open work permit on February 11, 2017.
Medicals Passed on February 15, 2017.
No update after that.

Ajay28

Mar 3, 2017
viralraiyani said:
Hi,
I applied for my wife's open work permit on February 11, 2017.
Medicals Passed on February 15, 2017.
No update after that.
Did u got request for medicals in 4 days?

viralraiyani

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I applied with upfront medicals to save time.
But I don't think that is making any difference in processing.

Pikandpok

Mar 11, 2017
Dear All,

My husband applied on 22ndbof Feb for LMIA exempt work permit online, together with an OWP for myself.
He has been nominated by Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program.

My question is:
We live and work in Abu Dhabi, UAE, therefore our online work permit application will be processed through
a.) UAE (which according to cic website, takes 5,5 months) or
b.) through our country of citizenship (which according to cic website takes 3 weeks) or
c.) there is a pool /department, only for online applications, which deal with all the online applications worldwide?
The timelines mentioned above that we've found on cic website are informative timeframes for work permit applications, it doesn't state exactly paper based vs online.

Also, when we applied, we selected that we are residents of Abu Dhabi, UAE but there was a thick mark in one of the forms, where we could choose where we want our application to be processed, therefore we chose our country of citizenship.
We don't need medicals due to our country of citizenship.

Which of the above processing times are we looking at?
Please advise!

Botinok

Star Member
Aug 2, 2015
What is a real processing time now for spouse OWP in Canada (if you apply from Canada)?

did someone applied less than 2 months ago and already got one?

Ajay28

Mar 3, 2017
Botinok said:
What is a real processing time now for spouse OWP in Canada (if you apply from Canada)?

did someone applied less than 2 months ago and already got one?
Depends on which country u r applying from?

viralraiyani

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
It doesn't really matter which country you apply from. What matters the country of residence of the primary applicant.
What I mean is, if you are in Canada and your wife is in India and if you are applying for her from Canada, Still her visa will be processed in India as she resides in India.

I don't think anybody recently got visa in less than 2 months of processing time.

Botinok

Star Member
Aug 2, 2015
Ajay28 said:
Depends on which country u r applying from?
I am in Canada and my wife is here as well.
She's a on a study permit and I am as a visitor, but I want to change my status. So I am now applying from Canada.

winner98

Star Member
Feb 28, 2017
Botinok said:
I am in Canada and my wife is here as well.
She's a on a study permit and I am as a visitor, but I want to change my status. So I am now applying from Canada.
If you are already in Canada then you can try going to US Canada border and apply there and they will give you the work permit right away.

Botinok

Star Member
Aug 2, 2015
hm... does it really work???

so I just need to take my wife with her passport and her work permit, marriage certificate and my passport and my visitor visa, go to US Canada border and get my OWP?

Who I should head to at a border?

winner98

Star Member
Feb 28, 2017
Botinok said:
hm... does it really work???

so I just need to take my wife with her passport and her work permit, marriage certificate and my passport and my visitor visa, go to US Canada border and get my OWP?

Who I should head to at a border?
A lot of students in Montreal go to Champlin Border. And when you are near the border donot cross the border. you will see a building of Canadian security which is right before you reach the US entry. And in that building you just go to any officer and ask tell them that you want to apply for work permit.

Botinok

Star Member
Aug 2, 2015
winner98 said:
A lot of students in Montreal go to Champlin Border. And when you are near the border donot cross the border. you will see a building of Canadian security which is right before you reach the US entry. And in that building you just go to any officer and ask tell them that you want to apply for work permit.
I am in Vancouver

So it works even for NEW work permit (not extension)?

Thanks a lot for your advice. Will try

viralraiyani

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I don't think that is a nice idea.
Only people from Visa exempt country can apply for work permit at port of entry (POE).
If you are from a country whose people need a visa to travel to Canada, you have to apply to CIC for a work permit and processing time is 12 months if you apply from Canada.

CIC processing time can be checked online.

Botinok

Star Member
Aug 2, 2015
viralraiyani said:
Hi,
I don't think that is a nice idea.
Only people from Visa exempt country can apply for work permit at port of entry (POE).
If you are from a country whose people need a visa to travel to Canada, you have to apply to CIC for a work permit and processing time is 12 months if you apply from Canada.

CIC processing time can be checked online.
12 months????

I believe it's 12 weeks...

And if I go to POE and they'll see that I am not from a Visa exempt country - they will probably just say that I won't be able to do it there, right?

winner98

Star Member
Feb 28, 2017
Botinok said:
12 months????

I believe it's 12 weeks...

And if I go to POE and they'll see that I am not from a Visa exempt country - they will probably just say that I won't be able to do it there, right?
It is worth giving it a try. As per my knowledge you have a tourist visa so you can go to the POE. I have been to the Montreal US border to get work permit for my friend and we got it. He was on a student visa and applied for work permit. And he is from India and not a visa exempt country. you can give it a try. Maximum they can say no apply online.