Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

My soon-to-be American spouse is the legal guardian of a nephew and I was wondering if anyone knows whether he would be considered a dependant child on my spouse's application for PR? Or can I, since once we're married he will legally be my nephew as well, sponser both of them through the family class at the same time? Thanks for your help!!!

-wolf

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pseudowolf said:
Hi all,

My soon-to-be American spouse is the legal guardian of a nephew and I was wondering if anyone knows whether he would be considered a dependant child on my spouse's application for PR? Or can I, since once we're married he will legally be my nephew as well, sponser both of them through the family class at the same time? Thanks for your help!!!

-wolf
No he can't be included in the application unless she has adopted him.

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Really? So although he is dependant on my fiance he can't come up? Is there a way around that? The child's parents are both still living and he is not in foster care so may be "unadoptable" in his State.

Thanks PMM.

-wolf

nylalisa

Jan 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2010
Doc's Request.
31-01-2011 (additional doc request)
AOR Received.
17-01-2011
File Transfer...
06-01-2011
Med's Request
30-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-10-2010
Interview........
30-03-2011 (Passed and approved same day)
Passport Req..
01-25-2011
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2011 (Received 09-04-2011)
LANDED..........
13-04-2011
I suggest consulting a professional on this one. If she is the legal guardian, mandated by courts or something, you may be able to include him. However, it usually is for adoptive children and blood relations. It's worth looking into, it's not like she can abandon him.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

nylalisa said:
I suggest consulting a professional on this one. If she is the legal guardian, mandated by courts or something, you may be able to include him. However, it usually is for adoptive children and blood relations. It's worth looking into, it's not like she can abandon him.
I think that the OP will be wasting his time and money, but he may feel better consulting a lawyer. As there is no "relationship" with the guardian and the child as defined by Immigration Regulations, the only way is a Humanitarian and Compassionate application under A25((1) but since the guardian is not a PR/CC it will be extremely hard to convince CIC.

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What about bringing him in on a study visa? He'll be in grade 9 when we get married. A minor studying in Canada is permissable if I act as custodian for him, right? Can I do both - sponsor my spouse and act as custodian for my nephew at the same time?

Thanks for all your help and advice.

-wolf

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just spoke to an immigration official and no - legal guardianship does not mean equal the child being considered a dependant and therefore can not be sponsored. I asked if I could sponsor the child as my nephew and she said there is no class that would allow that however on their website there is a link for "other eligible relative" and nieces and nephews are listed so I'm not sure what she meant by that.

Anyway, I am able to act as custodian to my soon-to-be nephew and apply for a study visa so he may finish high school here and my spouse doesn't have to give up his legal guardianship.

Thanks for everything!!!

Very excited to start the process! Wedding first.......

-wolf

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
pseudowolf said:
Just spoke to an immigration official and no - legal guardianship does not mean equal the child being considered a dependant and therefore can not be sponsored. I asked if I could sponsor the child as my nephew and she said there is no class that would allow that however on their website there is a link for "other eligible relative" and nieces and nephews are listed so I'm not sure what she meant by that.
There are certain cases where one can sponsor one's niece or nephew - basically, you can't have any other living relatives, so it rarely applies. You can also sponsor a niece or nephew if you live in Saskatchewan or Manitoba.
However, having him come here to study is the fastest way. Good luck!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pseudowolf said:
I asked if I could sponsor the child as my nephew and she said there is no class that would allow that however on their website there is a link for "other eligible relative" and nieces and nephews are listed so I'm not sure what she meant by that.
You should note that the helpline staff do not always get things right, calling twice and getting two differing answers can happen.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Baloo said:
You should note that the helpline staff do not always get things right, calling twice and getting two differing answers can happen.
In this case they are right. The child is not his nephew, there is no actual blood relationship.