London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi -

I have question regarding PR card renewal. My husband is PR holder and working in US on H1B. If I get Canadian Citizenship, is it possible for him to get his PR card renew?

I was never aware of this - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html#appendixA

Thanks for comments
Are you implying that he currently has or soon will have an expired PR card? Are you also implying that he will not be able to meet the residency obligation requirements?

What do you believe you're becoming a Canadian citizen will achieve for him? Do you live together in the US?

RajGill

Star Member
Jan 3, 2013
Yes, I will be applying for Canadian citizenship once eligible and yes we stay together.
My husband got landing in 2016 April and have never stayed in Canada. His PR card will expire in 2022. If it become citizen will he be able to full fill his PR card renewal obligation even he keep working in US.

Hope it's clear now

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Yes, I will be applying for Canadian citizenship once eligible and yes we stay together.
My husband got landing in 2016 April and have never stayed in Canada. His PR card will expire in 2022. If it become citizen will he be able to full fill his PR card renewal obligation even he keep working in US.

Hope it's clear now
In theory, yes. However, there have been some recent cases where it was deemed that the citizen was accompanying the PR, and not the other (qualifying) way round, and therefore did not meet the residency obligation requirements. This, on the face of it, seems to be your case. You may want to consider getting professional legal advice on your specific circumstances. It's certainly not a trivial case. It should be noted that any days before you became a citizen would not be counted regardless of your status change.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks Zardoz for your reply. I will need to check with some lawyer.
You don't meet the citizenship residency requirement and live outside of Canada, so there isn't really any point in looking into anything until you actually qualify.