Upfront (8th October 2016)
Passport Req..
27-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-08-2017
LANDED..........
25-08-2017
My friend's situation is as follows:

My friend's wife came here on study visa last year.
My friend then applied for TRV but he got only 1 month TRV.
After coming to Canada on 1 month TRV, he applied for Work permit (dependent
of type In-Canada.)
Then after his TRV got expired he has to leave Canada. He is now in India.

After 3 months he got his work permit application approved last week and in the approved letter CIC mentioned that:

"Your application to remain in Canada as a temporary resident has been approved. A secure
document has been mailed to you at the address that you provided when you made your
application. If you have not received your secure document within six weeks, .
"

Now he wants to come back to Canada as soon as possible.
Does he require a TRV even though he has a work permit approved already ?
If YES is it advised to apply for TRV as soon as possible ?

Please help to resolve the confusion.
Thanks in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but a work permit is not a travel document so if no TRV was issued with the permit then a TRV would be required to travel back to Canada.

Hhaye

Mar 31, 2019
A work permit does not allow for re entry. Do you still have a valid TRV? Do you have a valid US visitor Visa?

I believe you might need to apply within Canada for the TRV after you got your work permit if your original TRV expired already.

yogimukti

Star Member
Aug 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO (New Delhi)
App. Filed.......
November 7th 2016
AOR Received.
SA approval on 30th November 2016. AOR2 on 12th December 2016
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
27-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-08-2017
LANDED..........
25-08-2017
A work permit does not allow for re entry. Do you still have a valid TRV? Do you have a valid US visitor Visa?

I believe you might need to apply within Canada for the TRV after you got your work permit if your original TRV expired already.

No US visitor VISA. The problem was he got only 1 month TRV (I know that sounds really weird)
So he has to go back even if he applied for dependent work permit.

Hhaye

Mar 31, 2019
He should not have left Canada since there is something called implied status when he applied and waiting in Canada for a decision on the new visitor, student, or worker status.

Reactions: YVR123 and Kits

yogimukti

Star Member
Aug 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO (New Delhi)
App. Filed.......
November 7th 2016
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
27-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-08-2017
LANDED..........
25-08-2017
He should not have left Canada since there is something called implied status when he applied and waiting in Canada for a decision on the new visitor, student, or worker status.
Oh. To avoid any complications he left Canada.
so today he got a letter from CIC which has his work permit (which clearly says "does not authorize re-entry to Canada".
That clearly indicates he has to apply for TRV.

One more question what's the category he needs to choose while applying for TRV (
(as he already has Open work permit he should choose WORK as a PURPOSE to visit the Canada right ?)

Thanks for the inputs again.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
No US visitor VISA. The problem was he got only 1 month TRV (I know that sounds really weird)
So he has to go back even if he applied for dependent work permit.
Do you mean to say that the Visa (counterfoil) was issued for 1 month? Or that upon entry his passport was stamped to allow him to stay in Canada for 1 month?

yogimukti

Star Member
Aug 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO (New Delhi)
App. Filed.......
November 7th 2016
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
27-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-08-2017
LANDED..........
25-08-2017
Do you mean to say that the Visa (counterfoil) was issued for 1 month? Or that upon entry his passport was stamped to allow him to stay in Canada for 1 month?
No. He applied for TRV first. He got it for only 1 month.
So he came to Canada (that's the mistake he did I believe)
As he was having only 1 month he decided to apply for in-Canada work permit.

He applied and then he had to leave Canada because his visa was about to expire in 1 month.

Now he is in India and it seems he has to re-apply for TRV.
As he already got the work permit he needs to choose the PURPOSE as WORK instead of VISIT while filling out application forms right ?

(Sorry it is too complicated :( )

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No. He applied for TRV first. He got it for only 1 month.
So he came to Canada (that's the mistake he did I believe)
As he was having only 1 month he decided to apply for in-Canada work permit.

He applied and then he had to leave Canada because his visa was about to expire in 1 month.

Now he is in India and it seems he has to re-apply for TRV.
As he already got the work permit he needs to choose the PURPOSE as WORK instead of VISIT while filling out application forms right ?

(Sorry it is too complicated :( )
It isn't complicated. Unless he was given a Visitor Record or had a shorter date written in his passport by CBSA upon entry, he was able to stay in Canada for 6 months. The validity of a TRV has nothing to do with how long someone can stay in Canada. Even if his stay had been shortened upon entry, he still could have stayed on Implied Status. His mistake was leaving Canada.

yogimukti

Star Member
Aug 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO (New Delhi)
App. Filed.......
November 7th 2016
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
27-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-08-2017
LANDED..........
25-08-2017
It isn't complicated. Unless he was given a Visitor Record or had a shorter date written in his passport by CBSA upon entry, he was able to stay in Canada for 6 months. The validity of a TRV has nothing to do with how long someone can stay in Canada. Even if his stay had been shortened upon entry, he still could have stayed on Implied Status. His mistake was leaving Canada.
Yeah. Correct.

Anyway could you please provide any inputs for applying TRV (with already approved work permit) ?

As in Is it ok if he mentions why he left Canada (because of work family issues) and he already has a valid work permit so he wants to come back to Canada for WORK in order to provide financial support for his wife (who is already on study permit here)?

Feel free to provide any other guidelines to be kept in mind while applying for TRV.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yeah. Correct.

Anyway could you please provide any inputs for applying TRV (with already approved work permit) ?

As in Is it ok if he mentions why he left Canada (because of work family issues) and he already has a valid work permit so he wants to come back to Canada for WORK in order to provide financial support for his wife (who is already on study permit here)?

Feel free to provide any other guidelines to be kept in mind while applying for TRV.
He just applies for a TRV. Not sure what input you are looking for.

Coremark1996

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
I have applied SOWP online as my wife is a master student in university of Manitoba today got rejection
He reviewed my application under international experience canada program although I didn’t applied under that program indeed candidates belongs to my country are not eligible for international experience canada program please advise what should i do now, should I write an email to visa office for re-considerations or apply a new application

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have applied SOWP online as my wife is a master student in university of Manitoba today got rejection
He reviewed my application under international experience canada program although I didn’t applied under that program indeed candidates belongs to my country are not eligible for international experience canada program please advise what should i do now, should I write an email to visa office for re-considerations or apply a new application
Yes if you are sure you were evaluated under IEC. You may still get refused and there was a clerical error when they sent the letter but you should clarify. What were the reasons given for refusal?

Reactions: Coremark1996

Coremark1996

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Yes if you are sure you were evaluated under IEC. You may still get refused and there was a clerical error when they sent the letter but you should clarify. What were the reasons given for refusal?
Thank you for your interest in working in Canada. After careful review of your Work Permit application and supporting documentation under the International Experience Canada Program, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on the limited employment prospects in your country of residence.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your current employment situation. •
I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
• you have not submitted sufficient evidence that your spouse is indeed a full time student at a qualifying educational instituion in Canada.