+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal TRV for a Spousal Sponsorship Applicant - Help

noxmachina

Dec 24, 2023
My wife (who is a Canadian citizen/my sponsor) and I just finished submitting a Spousal PR application for me. We also recently found out about the new faster Spousal TRV measures the IRCC announced in May 2023 and we're planning on applying but we're stumped.

I can find almost nothing online about how to specifically apply for a Spousal TRV under these new measures except for the release update here. Am I missing something? Is there a dedicated option for a Spousal TRV on the IRCC portal? Is it just a regular TRV application?

The release update says "you can reunite with your spouse while you wait for a decision on your PR application" - a decision like that can easily take over 6 months. Do you just apply to extend your TRV in that case?

What about the info you provide when you apply for this TRV, since you want to stay with your partner while you wait for a decision and the TRV forms ask for your length of stay?

Practically no official information is available online, or at least I'm not able to find it. Does anyone here who's been through this have any idea?

Would appreciate any help honestly.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My wife (who is a Canadian citizen/my sponsor) and I just finished submitting a Spousal PR application for me. We also recently found out about the new faster Spousal TRV measures the IRCC announced in May 2023 and we're planning on applying but we're stumped.

I can find almost nothing online about how to specifically apply for a Spousal TRV under these new measures except for the release update here. Am I missing something? Is there a dedicated option for a Spousal TRV on the IRCC portal? Is it just a regular TRV application?

The release update says "you can reunite with your spouse while you wait for a decision on your PR application" - a decision like that can easily take over 6 months. Do you just apply to extend your TRV in that case?

What about the info you provide when you apply for this TRV, since you want to stay with your partner while you wait for a decision and the TRV forms ask for your length of stay?

Practically no official information is available online, or at least I'm not able to find it. Does anyone here who's been through this have any idea?

Would appreciate any help honestly.
You must wait until you have AOR before you submit the TRV application if you want to fall under this policy. AOR takes 1-3 months after the spousal sponsorship application is submitted.

Post any further questions to one of the main discussion threads on this topic. Here's one: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/trv-for-spouse-and-dependant.803609/page-61

Yes, you can apply to extend your visitor status in Canada if you don't have a decision in 6 months.