+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone! I didn't know where to put this question so forgive me if it doesn't belong here. My husband got his passport request and we are now just waiting for it's return and then we will be ready to travel! However I read other posts about people having some trouble with the airlines and at the border. I read about one woman needing to provide the sponsors birth certificate? And translated marriage licence? Is this true? Would it be prudent of me to have a translated marriage licence when we travel? I assumed that the fact he had copr and visa in passport was enough to travel. Thanks for any insight you can give.
If you'll be travelling as a sponsored spouse under the immediate family exemption - eg as spouse of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident - you may and likely will be asked to show it.

Usually that could/would mean marriage certificate showing to whom you're married and the status of that person (passport, PR card, etc). Dont' see why they'd ask for a birth certificate of the sponsor unless that was the only way to show the sponsor's status (and it's not a very good way).

Check with the airline though. At the border, CBSA is far, far more likely to understand that the visa is a family sponsorship type and the COPR confirms that (airlines have no obligation to udnerstand or decipher or rely upon IRCC visa codes).

Abhinandhan7

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Hi friends,

I applied for spousal sponsorship for my wife who is in India. She just received passport request email. I have a couple questions and would really appreciate if you guys can clarify this for me.

1. As part of the documents to be sent along with passport, they have request to send ' height and eye color of principal applicant'. We are not sure what this means. Do we have to get a letter from a professional who measures height and officially stamps it? Or do we just need to write the height and eye color in a pdf file and that is good enough?

2. By passport submission letter, do they mean the email? So we just have to take a print out of the ppr email and that is the passport request letter?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Lawrenceck

Aug 2, 2021
Hello everyone, I am filling the application form eimm5669 for the spouse sponsorship. There is a column known as level of jurisdiction on page 4 about government positions, I am not quite sure what it is? Does it mean any civil servant position ? Anybody could answer this question ? Thanks a lot.

Mahesh108

Apr 20, 2019
Hi Everyone,

Is there a possibility that one can sponsor for the spouse based on a small engagement ceremony and a legal court marriage with family members around.Due to the current Covid situation.
What are the timelines in the current situation.
Any response would be appreciated!

Geraldi78

Aug 1, 2021
I think it is a good sign.
What did you provide for additional proof of relationship?
You were right! It was a good sign…ended up getting sponsor approval
As for additional proof we sent more pictures, Anniversary, Easter and Christmas cards that my parents sent us, joint bank account (again) car insurance policy with both our names on it, picture of both our licenses with the same address, any bills PA has in their name.. just things like that

vishnusk1995

Star Member
Sep 19, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
Hi friends,

I applied for spousal sponsorship for my wife who is in India. She just received passport request email. I have a couple questions and would really appreciate if you guys can clarify this for me.

1. As part of the documents to be sent along with passport, they have request to send ' height and eye color of principal applicant'. We are not sure what this means. Do we have to get a letter from a professional who measures height and officially stamps it? Or do we just need to write the height and eye color in a pdf file and that is good enough?

2. By passport submission letter, do they mean the email? So we just have to take a print out of the ppr email and that is the passport request letter?

Best Wishes. I'm gonna apply for the same. Can you please answer a few of my questions?

1. What did you show as proof of relationship? did you give communication data like chats?
  2. Did they ask for any additional info or an interview?
  3. How long did it take to complete the process?
  4. Are you recently married and applied for the sponsorship soon after marriage?
Thanks in advance. Wishing you a happy life in Canada.

Abhinandhan7

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Hi friends,

Hi friends, can you guys please help me out here? Thanks in advance!

Abhinandhan7

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Best Wishes. I'm gonna apply for the same. Can you please answer a few of my questions?

1. What did you show as proof of relationship? did you give communication data like chats?
  2. Did they ask for any additional info or an interview?
  3. How long did it take to complete the process?
  4. Are you recently married and applied for the sponsorship soon after marriage?
Thanks in advance. Wishing you a happy life in Canada.
1. We showed wedding and engagement photos and 10 pages of WhatsApp chat history.

2. They did not ask for any additional info or interview.

3. I submitted the file on October 29 2020 and we got passport request two days back.

4. I got married end of August 2020 and submitted in October 2020

Hope this helps. All the best!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi friends,

Search function. Or read threads. These questions are asked about a dozen times a day.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/february-2021-outland-spouse-sponsorship.720209/page-47#post-9608069

Yes, just print the ppr email.

Abhinandhan7

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Search function. Or read threads. These questions are asked about a dozen times a day.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/february-2021-outland-spouse-sponsorship.720209/page-47#post-9608069

Yes, just print the ppr email.
@armoured thank you so much for the reply. I went through these threads. It is so confusing. Lots of people talk about appendix A and B for passport request email. But in our email we did not get any such forms. That's why we are confused about height and eye color. So, we can just create a word document and mention height and eye color and print it?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@armoured thank you so much for the reply. I went through these threads. It is so confusing. Lots of people talk about appendix A and B for passport request email. But in our email we did not get any such forms. That's why we are confused about height and eye color. So, we can just create a word document and mention height and eye color and print it?
Yes. The appendix itself, if you can find it, is just a simple table. Include identifying information of course.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello Everyone,

Quick question - my wife's sister (a permanent resident) has applied for her visit visa before our marriage and they received biometrics request before the marriage but due to COVID-19 pandemic in India, the visa offices were either closed or not providing biometric services for an extended period of time.

Now as the visa offices in India are taking biometrics appointments, should we proceed with the biometrics for the visit visa or shall we abandon the visit visa process altogether as we are going to apply for spouse PR visa by mid August?

Will IRCC use the biometrics given for visit visa while processing spouse visa and exempt biometrics test in the PR application?

Thanks,
SM
Since you already applied for the TRV you might as well let it go through the process. It is better that you submitted for the TRV before the marriage as chances of approval are higher than if you later decided to apply again. During Covid IRCC started allowing people who had bio done in the past 10 years to use that on a subsequent application. So until they say otherwise that is the current policy. The outcome of the TRV app will have no affect on a PR application.

Reddeer_1

Sep 24, 2020
Hi guys, I got a ghost update today in gc key and nothing else even on ecas. Many people from my timeline (Oct-Nov-Dec 2020) and VOs received DM/PPR/Pre-arrival but nothing for us. I am really scared that our case is stuck. Any insignts.

Superstar95

Jun 17, 2021
Sorry if this has been asked a million time before.
I'm planning to apply for a spouse PR once I get married by end of this year.
If I am applying for a visitor visa for my girlfriend before the wedding, what proofs would be recommended ?
Thanks in advance