+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Samaritan Strategy

Mar 4, 2021
Thanks for taking time to reply in detail, very helpful will do so. Timeline is as follows and perhaps you can also advise when when its likely that we will get PPR based on this timeline since I have no idea but just wishes and prayers that its a matter of few months now:
Applied April 2019
Sponsor Approval Nov 2020
File Moved to London VO Nov 2020
Police Reports and forms submitted to London VO Dec 2020
Biometrics request 12 April 2021
Medical Request 18 May 2021 (Medical pending, appointment secured in first week of June)
Pre-arrival services letter 19 May

Thanks once again
In the timeline I missed ADR (family photos and questionnaires) along with biometrics which were submitted first week of May 2021

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Timeline is as follows and perhaps you can also advise when when its likely that we will get PPR based on this timeline
Pre-arrival services letter 19 May
The pre-arrival services is the most relevant part that you should have mentioned. (Most applicants get the medical request at the early stage of application). Even so, you are overthinking and you should probably renew ASAP jsut as everyone has said so far.

No-one can tell you though how long PPR might take - in general, but as also not clear what country (Pakistan?).

I still would suggest getting passport renewed but now with a tiny bit more nuance: if you are CERTAIN that you would depart as soon as you got the COPR and you KNOW that passport renewal takes eg four months or more, perhaps - but still probably no. If you are in Pakistan, renew the passport and forget all the above, because you don't know when flight bans will be lifted anyway, so there is no sense.

And note: passport request letter often says (ours did anyway) to 'ensure that your passport is valid for at least 12 months from the date of this letter.' (I do not know how strict they are about this).

I am much more confident that IRCC would let you submit passports with some delay if you demonstrated that you had applied for new passports because their validity was too short.

Anyway, up to you, but if any issues, it's your problem, not mine.

Samaritan Strategy

Mar 4, 2021
The pre-arrival services is the most relevant part that you should have mentioned. (Most applicants get the medical request at the early stage of application). Even so, you are overthinking and you should probably renew ASAP jsut as everyone has said so far.

No-one can tell you though how long PPR might take - in general, but as also not clear what country (Pakistan?).

I still would suggest getting passport renewed but now with a tiny bit more nuance: if you are CERTAIN that you would depart as soon as you got the COPR and you KNOW that passport renewal takes eg four months or more, perhaps - but still probably no. If you are in Pakistan, renew the passport and forget all the above, because you don't know when flight bans will be lifted anyway, so there is no sense.

And note: passport request letter often says (ours did anyway) to 'ensure that your passport is valid for at least 12 months from the date of this letter.' (I do not know how strict they are about this).

I am much more confident that IRCC would let you submit passports with some delay if you demonstrated that you had applied for new passports because their validity was too short.

Anyway, up to you, but if any issues, it's your problem, not mine.
@armoured thanks, I remain indebted for your help and for going in such details to help me see straight. Hats off to this forum which brings fellows like you who stand alongside to help one make the right moves. It's hard being separated from families, it affects the overall well-being especially decision-making as you don't want to do anything that can cause even a slight delay. Thank you for sharing a critical piece of information that your PPR specifically asked for passports to be valid for 12 months. I will get the passports renewed right after the medicals and it wouldn't take more than a week to get these renewed, hopefully. Where should I send the scans just to IRCC or specifically to the concerning VO again using the webpage. Thanks

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I will get the passports renewed right after the medicals and it wouldn't take more than a week to get these renewed, hopefully. Where should I send the scans just to IRCC or specifically to the concerning VO again using the webpage. Thanks
If passports are only a week to get, then it's a no-brainer, absolutely do it.

We submitted using webform directed to the visa office, as I recall; didn't get a response immediately but in due course, and later saw in gcms notes that they did it within a couple weeks. (Note the response was pretty vague).

Also: I can't say for sure but I don't think it would have caused any issue if we'd submitted the new passport when we got the PPR (and hadn't updated).

It's obviously preferable to advise them (just for good order) but if the passport data otherwise matches, should be fine. (Which I add to note primarily: do not stress about getting a response, no need to call or write dozens of times - they'll still issue the COPR/visa in the new passport, and they probably got the updated passport info anyway, any lack of response is just that it's routine.)

Reactions: Samaritan Strategy

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
@armoured thanks, I remain indebted for your help and for going in such details to help me see straight. Hats off to this forum which brings fellows like you who stand alongside to help one make the right moves. It's hard being separated from families, it affects the overall well-being especially decision-making as you don't want to do anything that can cause even a slight delay. Thank you for sharing a critical piece of information that your PPR specifically asked for passports to be valid for 12 months. I will get the passports renewed right after the medicals and it wouldn't take more than a week to get these renewed, hopefully. Where should I send the scans just to IRCC or specifically to the concerning VO again using the webpage. Thanks
If it was mentioned by @armoured I missed it but another consideration is that when you get PPR the visa will only be valid for the length of the validity of your passport or medical, so renew it ASAP.

Reactions: armoured

Obims

May 27, 2021
Hello everyone. I just came across this wonderful forum

I came to Canada from the US as a refugee claimant. I got approved alongside my young children. My husband is in Nigeria and I applied for his PR as well as ours. We received our Pr cards in December and my husband was asked to submit his form to Accra. He sent his forms and included his police report as he was asked to from immigration.
He submitted in November and we have not heard back from them, I call immigration here in Canada and they said his documents will be processed in Accra office and not in Canada. Pls what is the waiting period and why haven't they gotten back to us. I am getting depressed especially with kids less than 10 years that have not seen their father in 3 years.

Thank you all.

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
I did my medical exam with e-medical (for the extension of my stay as a visitor) and if we want to get the medical report, we’ve to pay 15$…Why do we have to pay for something like that ?
They say : “ We will mail the complete medical report submitted to IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada). “

Why don’t they just forward to us for free ?! It’s taking literally few minutes (it can even be automatic) especially that I paid for this medical exam…

What’s wrong with this country? I lived in many countries and clinics send us OUR medical report for free obviously if we request it

Someone has an explanation?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I did my medical exam with e-medical (for the extension of my stay as a visitor) and if we want to get the medical report, we’ve to pay 15$…Why do we have to pay for something like that ?
They say : “ We will mail the complete medical report submitted to IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada). “

Why don’t they just forward to us for free ?! It’s taking literally few minutes (it can even be automatic) especially that I paid for this medical exam…

What’s wrong with this country? I lived in many countries and clinics send us OUR medical report for free obviously if we request it

Someone has an explanation?
Annoyance fee. Low enough to annoy you but not enough to stop those who need it,high enough to stop people from just asking on a whim.

Australia did this for medical consults at one point, something like five dollars. Cut out some massively high number of superfluous trips to the doctor. Saved the treasury a bundle.

Clearly it's working, it annoyed you enough to whinge on a forum.))

Reactions: Nailah

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
Annoyance fee. Low enough to annoy you but not enough to stop those who need it,high enough to stop people from just asking on a whim.

Australia did this for medical consults at one point, something like five dollars. Cut out some massively high number of superfluous trips to the doctor. Saved the treasury a bundle.

Clearly it's working, it annoyed you enough to whinge on a forum.))
So we did a medical exam and paid for it, but we can’t get a medical report without paying for it ?
That’s strange.

vamish14

Star Member
Dec 30, 2020
Hi All,

I am about to submit the Spousal sponsorship for my spouse and child.

I have few questions as per below:

1. I am having COPR, can I sponsor my spouse and minor child?
2. My Spouse and child have valid visitor records and study permits but they don't have TRV stamped. will that be a problem?
3. It's 9 years of our marriage, do I still require to share the marriage pics?

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
On my ecas, they changed my Canadian address to put my old address from where I applied -as an outland. Why ? I told them clearly that I am living in Canada, as an outland, with my wife. I think it's a new agent who's working on my file.

USDPR

May 28, 2021
Hello,

I have the question on following

- My wife was in USA for about 2 years 2015 - 2017 on a project (Indian passport holder) and moved back to India in 2017.

My question was what boxes should I check below and which country name should be written in the blank space

- The country where you (or they), currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more, and ____________________-
- The country where you (or they) have lived most of your (their) life since the age of 18. _________________

zebamahmud19

May 22, 2021
To add to my previous: you're clearly just starting to get acquainted with the types of sponsorship and the ins and outs. Start by downloading the instructions and forms and collecting information and when things are not clear, read the forums here.

You've asked very broad questions that show this is new to you - nothing wrong with that, but start by getting the forms, reading up on things here, asking questions, and collecting information.

You should also read the TRV-related forums and look at the process and issues related to that. I think it will be in your interests to apply for TRV sooner - before you apply for sponsorship - but not certain because you recently got married.
Thank you so much for your advice. I think I will go forward with the spousal sponsorship program as that seems like the most promising option. However, I do have a few questions regarding the application. In Form im5532e PART A - SPONSORSHIP EVALUATION AND INFORMATION ABOUT THE SPONSOR - I have to provide my employment history. I live in a country where when the monthly income is converted to dollars its less than a thousand CAD. I'm afraid that my low income can cause my application to be rejected. Is that possible? And I have not seen any option where I have to write proof of going back to Canada in the applications I am supposed to fill up. Do I have to attach an extra written document + proof outside of the form? And what type of proof shows concrete evidence of my intent to live in Canada because I genuinely want to settle there with my husband. Also, a completely unrelated question, I took 5 years to complete my undergrad. In the section where I have to fill up the highest level of education and number of years completed, do I have to write 5? Or should I put 4 since that's how long bachelors are considered to be? I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance for all your help and advices