+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

aman35

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
Hi All, I need a Few suggestions. I am in canada and a PR. My wife is in India and I am sponsoring her. I have following doubts. It will be very helpful if I can get some suggestions around them.
1) We are not hiring any consultant. I am sending application by myself. So Shall I fill IMM 5476 and Mention myself as a Representative? Is It Neccessary?
2) I am attaching calls logs and whatsapp screenshots from myside (Sponsor), is it ok or these documents should only be from Principal applicant side?
3) Do I have to send one checklist or separate checklist 1 for sponsor and otherone for Principal applicant ?
4) shall check the checkboxes in Checklist which are not relevant to me like "Additional Information about the children" in supporting documents for PA. or shall I leave these empty?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi All, I need a Few suggestions. I am in canada and a PR. My wife is in India and I am sponsoring her. I have following doubts. It will be very helpful if I can get some suggestions around them.
1) We are not hiring any consultant. I am sending application by myself. So Shall I fill IMM 5476 and Mention myself as a Representative? Is It Neccessary?
2) I am attaching calls logs and whatsapp screenshots from myside (Sponsor), is it ok or these documents should only be from Principal applicant side?
3) Do I have to send one checklist or separate checklist 1 for sponsor and otherone for Principal applicant ?
4) shall check the checkboxes in Checklist which are not relevant to me like "Additional Information about the children" in supporting documents for PA. or shall I leave these empty?
1. You don't need to but it can be useful as otherwise the sponsor may not have access to all info. (Note: if you do, you'll also need the Representative form). Note when you say 'fill IMM5476' - just one for the applicant.
2. It would be more weak perhaps but up to you.
3. Just one checklist.
4. Either leave empty or handwrite N/A after printing. (The latter probably preferable to avoid any confusion)

aman35

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
Thank you @armoured .

Actually, I am making long distance calls, and I am attaching my call history logs from my post-paid bill. Also, I am attaching screenshots of of whatsapp calls made from myside and whatsapp messages screenshot from my phone. Reason why I am not attaching any proof of this type from wife side. She never made a long distance call, so no such proof. My Whatsapp number is different than What I am using on application. Any suggestions?

I have read somewhere that a non-compensated representative (which I will be if my wife fills representative form and appoint me as representative) cannot attach the application to online account and neither principal applicant can't do it. Only way of communication will be physical mail to representative (me).
So, My plan is to send application by myself and link the application to online account to check any type of status. (Not filling form IMM5476 & IMM5475 for myself and my wife). We can check updates from online account and if required she can call CIC callcenters and get the required info. Is my plan ok ?

Please suggest, Your help is much appreciated

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have read somewhere that a non-compensated representative (which I will be if my wife fills representative form and appoint me as representative) cannot attach the application to online account and neither principal applicant can't do it. Only way of communication will be physical mail to representative (me).
Not true, I've done this myself and no issue with linking, receiving emails, etc. (We actually used one email for all communications for convenience).

So, My plan is to send application by myself and link the application to online account to check any type of status. (Not filling form IMM5476 & IMM5475 for myself and my wife). We can check updates from online account and if required she can call CIC callcenters and get the required info. Is my plan ok ?
If no representative appointed and the sponsor tries to link, I believe may only get access to the sponsor's file, i.e. that part of the app, and not the principal applicant's. (PA would still be able to access). If that works for you, fine. You can in theory of course share login information.

Also fine on calling except that calling from abroad may not be possible. If sponsor is rep, either sponsor or PA can call IRCC.

So I still found it much more convenient to do the representative and authority to release information forms as I suggested, but it's up to you.

( I haven't checked the form numbers to double-check what you've written, sure you've got it figured out.)

Reactions: aman35

aman35

Star Member
Jan 16, 2018
Thank You again @armoured .

"
If you have an authorized paid representative, they can link your application to their own online account instead.

Unpaid representatives cannot use online accounts. If you have an unpaid representative, you should remind them to regularly monitor their e-mail and mail to ensure correspondence is received.

"
These lines from guide 5532 are confusing me. If I become representative and send form 5476 then in that case we just have to send one 5476 form for Principal applicant and I just have to sign the declaration in question 10 at "Signature of spouse or common-law partner for sponsorship application" ? or there is something else which should be addressed.

IMM5476 is "USE OF A REPRESENTATIVE"
IMM5475 is ": Authority to release personal information to a designated individual "

In addition to IMM5476, IMM5475 should also be filled and sent?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank You again @armoured .

"
If you have an authorized paid representative, they can link your application to their own online account instead.

Unpaid representatives cannot use online accounts. If you have an unpaid representative, you should remind them to regularly monitor their e-mail and mail to ensure correspondence is received.

"
These lines from guide 5532 are confusing me. If I become representative and send form 5476 then in that case we just have to send one 5476 form for Principal applicant and I just have to sign the declaration in question 10 at "Signature of spouse or common-law partner for sponsorship application" ? or there is something else which should be addressed.

IMM5476 is "USE OF A REPRESENTATIVE"
IMM5475 is ": Authority to release personal information to a designated individual "

In addition to IMM5476, IMM5475 should also be filled and sent?
Can't tell you anything more, we did both and had no problem.

Reactions: aman35

bubu_j

May 25, 2021
Hello everyone! I need advice and suggestions about my spousal sponsorship application.

My husband lives in Canada, and we submitted our application while I was in the U.S earlier this year. My husband has received his AOR and eligibility to sponsor letter. I have also been able to link the application to my IRCC account. I have a Canadian visitor visa. I am now in Canada with my husband, and we will like to transfer my application from "outside Canada" to "in Canada. How do we transfer my application from the New York office to the "In Canada application"?

Also, I would like to apply for an open work permit. Is there anyone who knows how best to apply for the open work permit myself while I am here in Canada?

NB: My application is still processing, and my eligibility for PR has not been determined, neither have I been requested to do my medicals, although my biometrics is still valid.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My husband lives in Canada, and we submitted our application while I was in the U.S earlier this year. My husband has received his AOR and eligibility to sponsor letter. I have also been able to link the application to my IRCC account. I have a Canadian visitor visa. I am now in Canada with my husband, and we will like to transfer my application from "outside Canada" to "in Canada. How do we transfer my application from the New York office to the "In Canada application"?
You can't change it from one type of application to the other, but you can change your address with IRCC, and when it's approved, you'll "land" (become a PR) without having to leave Canada. As with all apps, they'll process wherever they see fit, and you have no influence upon which visa office they use.

Also, I would like to apply for an open work permit. Is there anyone who knows how best to apply for the open work permit myself while I am here in Canada?
The only way to apply for OPW as part of your app would be to withdraw and apply again as inland. (You can apply for other types of work permits, if eligible, but may not work).

No-one can say whether it might be advantageous in terms of working to withdraw, re-apply and get the OPW through the inland process (which takes months as well - check the inland threads here).

bubu_j

May 25, 2021
You can't change it from one type of application to the other, but you can change your address with IRCC, and when it's approved, you'll "land" (become a PR) without having to leave Canada. As with all apps, they'll process wherever they see fit, and you have no influence upon which visa office they use.
Thanks for your response. After changing my address with IRCC, do you think IRCC will request me to carry out my medicals in a facility here in Canada or I will be requested to carry it out in the U.S?

Also, do you have an idea if my application may be transferred back to Canada after I change my address to Canada?

The only way to apply for OPW as part of your app would be to withdraw and apply again as inland. (You can apply for other types of work permits, if eligible, but may not work).

No-one can say whether it might be advantageous in terms of working to withdraw, re-apply and get the OPW through the inland process (which takes months as well - check the inland threads here).
[/QUOTE]

Is it possible for me to update my application to include an OPW after submitting the change of address form?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your response. After changing my address with IRCC, do you think IRCC will request me to carry out my medicals in a facility here in Canada or I will be requested to carry it out in the U.S?
You can do the medicals anywhere in the world.

Also, do you have an idea if my application may be transferred back to Canada after I change my address to Canada?
Probably not. For the most part, shouldn't matter anyway. What is it you think you'd be getting by having it transferred to Canada?

Is it possible for me to update my application to include an OPW after submitting the change of address form?
No. See above. You'd have to withdraw your current app and re-apply as inland.

bubu_j

May 25, 2021
You can do the medicals anywhere in the world.

Probably not. For the most part, shouldn't matter anyway. What is it you think you'd be getting by having it transferred to Canada?

No. See above. You'd have to withdraw your current app and re-apply as inland.
Thanks again!

Now that I dont have a job offer, what do you think my options are for applying for a work permit from within Canada?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Thanks again!

Now that I dont have a job offer, what do you think my options are for applying for a work permit from within Canada?
As @armoured said you can't apply for an open work permit with an outland application even with you physically being in Canada. Theoretically you could get a closed permit IF you found a company that wants to hire you but that is a lengthy and time consuming process for the company so the chances are low that they would contemplate doing it for you.

Reactions: armoured

bubu_j

May 25, 2021
As @armoured said you can't apply for an open work permit with an outland application even with you physically being in Canada. Theoretically you could get a closed permit IF you found a company that wants to hire you but that is a lengthy and time consuming process for the company so the chances are low that they would contemplate doing it for you.
Thanks for the clarification and information. I now understand better.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

pat40

Jan 21, 2020
thank you so much
they gone transfer my file to Delhi or no this the final they gone take decision from here
I think at the last stage they will bcz ppr will be issued by New delhi. But if they want they can transfer even before that.

Reactions: ld16