+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

SHPAH

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
i asked this in march forum but would like to ask here also.

Hello guys, march 2nd 2020 outland here.

we received Procedural fairness letter april 10th (we both live outside canada) and they want proof that Me (the sponsor) plans to reside in canada once applicant is approved.

we registered a business in jan 2021 in canada. we have shipping details of moving, selling car, letter of resignation etc.

my question is the below is what we submittied last week. do you think its enough to convince the agent that i (the sponsor) plan to move back to canada?

for proof i send the following:

• Exhibit 1 Business number registration Canada
  • Exhibit 2 Business import and export – , Canada
  • Exhibit 3 Canada revenue agency (CRA) business name registration –Canada
  • Exhibit 4 Cancelled flight to Canada for visit rejection. year 2020
  • Exhibit 5 My father’s letter (in canada) explaining accommodations (transport and housing) in Fredericton,
  • Exhibit 7 Driver license renewal for Sponsor in Canada
  • Exhibit 8 student loan in Canada that’s been paid on time every month/
  • Exhibit 9 Explanation letter regarding upcoming move to, Canada
  • Exhibit 10 Letter of resignation from sponsor to company in Kuwait
  • Exhibit 11 Letter of acceptance from CEO of company to sponsor in Kuwait
  • Exhibit 12 Flight cancelled to Canada in 2018 due to engagement
  • Exhibit 13 Letter from from company in canada showing potential part time or full-time job with full emails for sponsor
  • Exhibit 14 Letter from company for job interview for applicant in canada
  • Exhibit 15 Proof of correspondence via Text messages with shipping company from Kuwait to canada to ship our personal belongings from January 2021
  • Exhibit 16 Temporary residency refusal letter; NOVEMBER 18, 2019)
  • Exhibit 17 Temporary residency refusal letter; APRIL 19, 2021)
  • Exhibit 18 Proof of correspondence via text message with potential buyers in attempt of selling my car Jan 2021 prior to returning to Canada
  • Exhibit 19 Written attestation/promise to reside in Canada (Sponsor)
  • Exhibit 20 Written attestation/promise to reside in Canada (applicant)
  • Exhibit 21 Proof of CIBC visa (sponsor and applicant) and Proof of American Express Canadian credit card (sponsor and applicant)

ki2_2019

Dec 1, 2019
Literally it can be the next day after landing, i.e. there's no 'minimum residency period' after landing/before sponsorship.

But: details matter. For a PR who had declared spouse as unaccompanying, no issue - but sponsoring a spouse who was not declared will not be possible. There are some other important factors as well (eg must be a resident of Canada throughout the process).

So it may help if you give some more details - but there's no 'mandatory timeline' and time elapsed since landing itself or per se is not a factor.
Thank you for your swift response @armoured !! I understand. I am the PA and I am not married yet. I just want to clarify on this aspect, because due to the current delay in the processing timeline and travel restriction, I am considering making the first entry to Canada, then get married and sponsor. I was little worried what if there was a timeline. I don't want to delay my application even further by changing my family composition as I have recently received PPR. Any suggestion / advice for me ?

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your swift response @armoured !! I understand. I am the PA and I am not married yet. I just want to clarify on this aspect, because due to the current delay in the processing timeline and travel restriction, I am considering making the first entry to Canada, then get married and sponsor. I was little worried what if there was a timeline. I don't want to delay my application even further by changing my f
amily composition as I have recently received PPR. Any suggestion / advice for me ?
Obviously the issue right now is that you can't enter Canada until the covid travel restrictions are lifted (assuming you don't qualify for some other exemption); and that means you don't know how long you might have to wait to go to Canada, return to marry your fiancé, and then return to Canada and then how long the sponsorship process might be (it could be long). (Nor whether your fiancé after marrying could qualify for and get a TRV to Canada)

Alternatively you could marry and add as accompanying or non-accompanying and just accept that it will delay your landing in Canada. (Some advantage here - I would assume - in terms of allowing you to live together for some time to establish bona fides of the relationship and marriage).

There's no way to tell what works better for you in terms of timeline and your personal life.

So no, no specific advice - you seem to have already considered. The one rather general piece of advice is to look at the application package for spousal sponsorship and start to document as carefully as possible whatever you can that will be needed later to show it's a genuine marriage/relationship (some of which will depend on the type of relationship and marriage in the proper cultural context).

Good luck, not an easy question right now.

Reactions: ki2_2019

ki2_2019

Dec 1, 2019
Obviously the issue right now is that you can't enter Canada until the covid travel restrictions are lifted (assuming you don't qualify for some other exemption); and that means you don't know how long you might have to wait to go to Canada, return to marry your fiancé, and then return to Canada and then how long the sponsorship process might be (it could be long). (Nor whether your fiancé after marrying could qualify for and get a TRV to Canada)

Alternatively you could marry and add as accompanying or non-accompanying and just accept that it will delay your landing in Canada. (Some advantage here - I would assume - in terms of allowing you to live together for some time to establish bona fides of the relationship and marriage).

There's no way to tell what works better for you in terms of timeline and your personal life.

So no, no specific advice - you seem to have already considered. The one rather general piece of advice is to look at the application package for spousal sponsorship and start to document as carefully as possible whatever you can that will be needed later to show it's a genuine marriage/relationship (some of which will depend on the type of relationship and marriage in the proper cultural context).

Good luck, not an easy question right now.
Thank you for the elaborate response! Staying hopeful that situation gets better :)

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
i asked this in march forum but would like to ask here also.

Hello guys, march 2nd 2020 outland here.

we received Procedural fairness letter april 10th (we both live outside canada) and they want proof that Me (the sponsor) plans to reside in canada once applicant is approved.

we registered a business in jan 2021 in canada. we have shipping details of moving, selling car, letter of resignation etc.

my question is the below is what we submittied last week. do you think its enough to convince the agent that i (the sponsor) plan to move back to canada?

for proof i send the following:

• Exhibit 1 Business number registration Canada
  • Exhibit 2 Business import and export – , Canada
  • Exhibit 3 Canada revenue agency (CRA) business name registration –Canada
  • Exhibit 4 Cancelled flight to Canada for visit rejection. year 2020
  • Exhibit 5 My father’s letter (in canada) explaining accommodations (transport and housing) in Fredericton,
  • Exhibit 7 Driver license renewal for Sponsor in Canada
  • Exhibit 8 student loan in Canada that’s been paid on time every month/
  • Exhibit 9 Explanation letter regarding upcoming move to, Canada
  • Exhibit 10 Letter of resignation from sponsor to company in Kuwait
  • Exhibit 11 Letter of acceptance from CEO of company to sponsor in Kuwait
  • Exhibit 12 Flight cancelled to Canada in 2018 due to engagement
  • Exhibit 13 Letter from from company in canada showing potential part time or full-time job with full emails for sponsor
  • Exhibit 14 Letter from company for job interview for applicant in canada
  • Exhibit 15 Proof of correspondence via Text messages with shipping company from Kuwait to canada to ship our personal belongings from January 2021
  • Exhibit 16 Temporary residency refusal letter; NOVEMBER 18, 2019)
  • Exhibit 17 Temporary residency refusal letter; APRIL 19, 2021)
  • Exhibit 18 Proof of correspondence via text message with potential buyers in attempt of selling my car Jan 2021 prior to returning to Canada
  • Exhibit 19 Written attestation/promise to reside in Canada (Sponsor)
  • Exhibit 20 Written attestation/promise to reside in Canada (applicant)
  • Exhibit 21 Proof of CIBC visa (sponsor and applicant) and Proof of American Express Canadian credit card (sponsor and applicant)
You have a lot of good information there, when you did the origional app did you provide proof that you will be able to support yourselves until you get established and your business operating?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi Everyone, I need a piece of advice please help me if you guys could. This profile is for my girlfriend who is back in India and am in Canada as a PERMANENT RESIDENT.
My Girlfriend has applied for a study permit and got refused 2 times. I am thinking of going back home and marrying her and get a spousal visa. Or she can apply for an Open work permit after marriage? Please help me or give me direction.
She would have to be in Canada and apply inland to get an OWP. Since you are a PR you have to be in Canada to apply for PR for her, so going home, getting married, you returning to Canada and submitting an application is your best course of action.

She could then try to get a TRV to join you in Canada while the app is in process, chances of getting a TRV for her are low but it is possible.

Nabekhime

Star Member
Apr 26, 2021
Is this happened to anyone. This morning I opened GCKEY , under upload documents, I saw a message I didn't read all at the time. I went home and opened GCKEY and the message is not there. Any suggestions

Reactions: Rooster123

FF89

Jul 11, 2019
Have you submitted the app yet? If so then wait for AOR and send it as a web form. There is no specific earnings requirement to sponsor a spouse as long as you can show that you can provide for them in Canada which you said you have already done.
No I have yet to submit the application pack.

frange

May 25, 2018
Hi Everyone, I need a piece of advice please help me if you guys could. This profile is for my girlfriend who is back in India and am in Canada as a PERMANENT RESIDENT.
My Girlfriend has applied for a study permit and got refused 2 times. I am thinking of going back home and marrying her and get a spousal visa. Or she can apply for an Open work permit after marriage? Please help me or give me direction.
If you read the forum , you would see that work permit is granted ONLY for IN-LAND applicant with a legal status NOT for OUTLAND.

SHPAH

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
You have a lot of good information there, when you did the origional app did you provide proof that you will be able to support yourselves until you get established and your business operating?
No because it wasn’t needed then. But in my letter of resignation. I got a letter of acceptance from the ceo and in that letter it states the amount of money I will get from my package leaving the company which is enough. So I hope that helps.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
No I have yet to submit the application pack.
Include the new job in the application package on form IMM5532, since you are just starting work you could include it in the LOE you were going to submit showing how you were going to support them before the job offer.

Rishavjeet

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
Type - Spousal sponsorship.
Posted by - Sponsor.

01-JUL-2020 App received.
25-NOV-2020 Bio requested, Medival Req, AOR, SA.
28-NOV-2020 Medicals submitted.
02-DEC-2020 Request for additional medicals test.
07-DEC-2020 Gave Sputum tests etc.
12-DEC-2020 File moved to Ottawa VO.
24-DEC-2020 Submitted Biometrics.
26-FEB-2021 Gave medical tests again.
25-MAR-2021 Medicals passed.
08-APR-2021 Decision Made.
20-APR-2021 PPR received.

Currently all 2-way pickup courier services by VFS and Canadian High commission is closed in India due to on-going Covid situations. On the last stretch and still have to wait. Such an exhausting journey.
Same case..i got my dm on 1 march but didn’t get ppr yet..congratulations to you

FF89

Jul 11, 2019
Include the new job in the application package on form IMM5532, since you are just starting work you could include it in the LOE you were going to submit showing how you were going to support them before the job offer.
Another related query: I never filed tax returns in Canada since I was not residing here or had any sort of income from Canadian source since I became PR. I will be filing tax returns in April 2022 for the first time. What do I mention in the explanation for Notice of Assessment and Proof of Income Statement (Option C)?

sidewinder

Apr 5, 2021
Hi everyone,
Question regarding Form IMM 5532 Part A, No. 4 (Level of Education)

How should I respond to this?

1. Select all and write number of years for all levels? (Example: Primary-6, Secondary-6, University-4, Post-graduate - 2)

OR

2. Just select Post-graduate and write 2?

Thanks in advance for help.