+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Would you mind comparing our police check to yours, if I send you a photo of what we have? Or do you not have it any more?
Just for record (in case anyone else runs up with this in Russia), that's what we had with no significant differences and was accepted.

Past performance is not concrete indicator of what they'll do in future, but I think this is the standard doc (only electornic form) in Russia now.

Levi1337

Mar 24, 2020
Can 2 people on the same flight, share a room in the mandatory hotel quarantine to split the expenses ? or they would pay double anyway ?

Armiti

Apr 30, 2018
Hello Guy,

Anyone received application number for parents sponsorship 2020?
The process' started or not?

Thanks

Apr 14, 2021
I already made these questions a few days ago and received no answer, and honestly, I don't know where else to ask so I need to try again:

1. If I send the application for the sponsorship but I'm on "maintained status", will I be eligible for an OWP?
somewhere they told me I need a "valid" status to get the OWP, but I paid and sent the application back in December for the visitor visa, and still nothing.
Should I wait to have it active before sending the sponsorship application?

2. Even if they activate it, it would last in August (since my work permit expired on the 31st of January, so 6 months would be the 31st of July). So HOW can I maintain legal status in order to be eligible for the sponsorship? I don't see the option to extend the visitor visa anywhere since mine it's not even active yet.

Can someone please clarify this for me?

Armiti

Apr 30, 2018
I already made these questions a few days ago and received no answer, and honestly, I don't know where else to ask so I need to try again:

1. If I send the application for the sponsorship but I'm on "maintained status", will I be eligible for an OWP?
somewhere they told me I need a "valid" status to get the OWP, but I paid and sent the application back in December for the visitor visa, and still nothing.
Should I wait to have it active before sending the sponsorship application?

2. Even if they activate it, it would last in August (since my work permit expired on the 31st of January, so 6 months would be the 31st of July). So HOW can I maintain legal status in order to be eligible for the sponsorship? I don't see the option to extend the visitor visa anywhere since mine it's not even active yet.

Can someone please clarify this for me?
Could you send me the link where we can check our application status ?
Before I could check but now it give just général info for all applicants .

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
Hello everyone!

I've written two letters to Immigration which I need to include in the application. One is regarding proof that I (sponsor) will move to Canada when we get residency. The other is our financial plan (from the 'Employment/Source of Income' section.

If it's possible, can I get some tips/advice on what you think of the letters.

#1 - Proof I will return to Canada

Dear Visa Officer

Q: Are you (the sponsor) living outside of Canada

I am writing this letter to express my plan to return to Canada, upon receipt of my wife’s PR confirmation.

In July 2022, my Russian Temporary residency is set to expire. For me to remain in Russia, I would have to get permanent residence. I don’t have any desire to do this, and I will return to Canada before the expiry of my residency. Whether my wife receives the permanent residency or not, I will have moved/be moving to Canada in June 2022.

I am working in Russia as an English teacher, and I have my own school. The school year here finishes at the end of May. By sending our application package now (May 2021) and seeing that the processing time is 12 months, we feel that this is the perfect time to apply, so we can show an immediate plan to move to Canada.

At the end of the school year, I will close my business in Russia, and begin a search for work and apartments in Canada. With the savings we have (please see the letter from ‘Employment/Source of Income’ for a detailed explanation of our financial plan upon returning to Canada) we plan to be able to live for 5-8 months if we find it difficult to find jobs.

With all of this being said, if the application is approved much faster than the planned 12 months, I am able to close my business early.

Over the past few years, I have spoken with my family, about our eventual move to Canada. Some of these facebook chats are included in this package. My family has offered their support for us for when we move back to Canada, although our current plans show that we will not need to accept their help.

The library offers many online services. One of the services I plan to make use of, is the subscription to Lynda.com. This is a website that provides video lessons on a wide range of topics, such as programming, web design, and graphic design. During this summer, I plan to begin a deep dive into their courses. This will help me to prepare myself for working in Canada. My main job goal when I return, will be to return to the Web Design industry. I spent 1 year at [college] studying Web Design, and I spent time working as a Junior Web developer for a company called [company]. I wish to update my knowledge, and try to get back into the industry once I return.

I have been keeping an eye on websites like indeed and Monster, and have seen that there are companies hiring Junior Web developers, even during the Coronavirus pandemic. I will attach some of the more recent job searches I have found.

I realize that it might be difficult to find work when we move to Canada, so I have looked into resources that can help us once we receive confirmation of her permanent residence. These include the Durham Region Unemployment Help Center, The Canadian Job Bank, the YMCA, and other local job recruitment services.

Regarding housing, my father is a retired real estate agent. We have had a few conversations about housing opportunities in Ontario. When the time comes to return to Canada, we will use his knowledge and contacts to help us find a place to live. We have already used his contacts once in the past. In 2015, when [wife] first visited Canada, he was able to find us a short-term rental which we used for the time that [wife] was visiting.

I hope that this letter, and the documents provided will give you sufficient evidence to show that I will return to Canada shortly after the confirmation of [Wife]’s PR.

Thank you,

[My Name]

Letter 2

Hello,

I am writing to state the financial plan my wife and I have, for our arrival in Canada.

At the time of writing this letter, we have a USD bank account, with over $5000USD (around $6500CAD). Our goal is to save $15,000CAD before moving to Canada. We have been able to put $600-1000USD per month into the account. This puts us ahead of schedule, and on track to have up to $20,000USD (25,000CAD) saved by the time we leave, in July 2022. Please see the attached form, which will show the current balance.

We have looked into the expenses we will have in Toronto. We plan to find an apartment for $1500 per month. Our other expenses will be: mobile phone- $150, Internet - $75, Groceries - $500, TTC Passes - $320, Entertainment - $200, Clothes - $100, Unexpected Expenses/Savings - $155. This Will bring our monthly expenses to $3000 per month.

This will give us 5-8 months of savings to cover our expenses.

We both plan to be working during this time however. [Wife] currently has a job working online with a Russian online university, in their sales department, which she plans to continue for the first few months. My job as an English teacher, and the relationships I have built with my students, will allow me to continue working with them while I am in Canada as well. I have many students who have been studying online, so I will be able to maintain these classes in Canada.

While these jobs will help us in the beginning, we both realize that the higher cost of living in Canada (and the difference in time zones) will mean it will be essential to find jobs in Canada as soon as possible.

[wife] has a university degree in economics and around 5 years experience working in the banking industry. Her goal is to find a job in the Canadian banking industry. [sponsor] will look for work, either in the hospitality industry, or in web design. We are looking to find full time, 40-hour a week jobs. In banking, [wife] should be able to find a job for $16-18 per hour. This would give her a monthly income of around 2750 per month. In web design, [sponsor] would be able to find a job as an entry-level web developer from $17-20 per hour. This would offer a monthly income of around 2900 per month. Together, we would expect to earn 5000-6000 per month.

If we are unable to find work in the industries we desire, then we will look towards minimum wage jobs. For a 40 hour work-week at the current minimum wage ($14.25) we would expect to earn 2,280 each for a combined income of around 4,560 per month. This would allow us to work and give us time to find better employment opportunities.

I hope this letter serves as a suitable explanation of our plans. If you have any followup questions, we will be happy to answer them.

Thank you,

[our names]

Reactions: LongBill

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
"In July 2022, my Russian Temporary residency is set to expire. For me to remain in Russia, I would have to get permanent residence. I don’t have any desire to do this, and I will return to Canada before the expiry of my residency. Whether my wife receives the permanent residency or not, I will have moved/be moving to Canada in June 2022."
I am in a somewhat similar situation. I would dress up your discussion of your plan to exit Russia with or without your wife. The letter as-is seems not to address the case if your wife does not get PR by that time and then you end up leaving Russia. What will happen to your wife then? Are you going to abandon her? Are you going to apply for her PR with Outland application? This issues are not clear to me and I would think the visa officers will wonder about this as well. I would expand on your contingency plans.

FWIW, my "similar situation" is that I (the PR applicant) am retired (for 3 years) and my wife (the sponsor) has lived with me in the US for 22 years. I had to dream up (1) an explanation assuring that the sponsor would return to Canada along with me (the PR applicant) and (2) just how were we going to support ourselves (I have no intention of going to work). I drafted a letter for my wife (the sponsor) explaining that there were family reasons for her returning to Canada, and that if her husband (the PR applicant) moved to Canada then surely there was no reason for her to stay in the US. That's it in a nutshell but it filled a good page or two. And (2) I included a lengthy package with analysis of how our "lifetime savings" along with our US Social Security benefits and private pensions were sufficient provide X amount of cash for Y number of years, along with account statements substantiating our savings. That is that letter in a nutshell, although the details went for about 4 pages.

Good Luck!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone!

I've written two letters to Immigration which I need to include in the application. One is regarding proof that I (sponsor) will move to Canada when we get residency. The other is our financial plan (from the 'Employment/Source of Income' section.

If it's possible, can I get some tips/advice on what you think of the letters.
Overall I think the letters are okay - in some areas I would cut down details (eg while nice I don't think the detail of expenses is needed, you can just say you believe your savings will be enough for six months with no income). You do not say/show what evidence you will attach - my impression is that 'plans' are greatly strengthened by having any additional evidence, even at this early stage. Or in more simple terms, write a bit less, have a bit more evidence.

A few minor points:
-have you ever visited Canada with your spouse? Does she have a TRV? (I'd consider applying for one if not)

-Since you are teaching English, and presumably have some qualification in that area, you'd be remiss to not mention that this is an area of potential employment for you (and one in constant demand). (If not, perhaps plan to get those qualifications?)

-I don't think the discussion of leaving for Canada without your spouse adds anything. You plan to leave during the summer; plans may need adjustment. If/when your plans firm up, you can add info via webform later.

Asees.singh

Jul 20, 2019
Hello Everyone,
I am a permanent resident and I'll be getting married next month, and my spouse is in India. I was wondering if anyone has applied for a visitor visa and spousal sponsorship at the same time and or they have applied for spousal sponsorship first and then after few days they have applied for a visitor visa? I went to a consultant in Surrey and he said that I shouldn't apply for visitor visa and I should only focus on spousal sponsorship as it might affect my spousal case but as we all know that spousal takes time so I was thinking if my spouse can come on visitor visa first and then I can apply for sponsorship. If anyone knows anything related to this then please reply. Thanks.

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
Hello Everyone,
I am a permanent resident and I'll be getting married next month, and my spouse is in India. I was wondering if anyone has applied for a visitor visa and spousal sponsorship at the same time and or they have applied for spousal sponsorship first and then after few days they have applied for a visitor visa? I went to a consultant in Surrey and he said that I shouldn't apply for visitor visa and I should only focus on spousal sponsorship as it might affect my spousal case but as we all know that spousal takes time so I was thinking if my spouse can come on visitor visa first and then I can apply for sponsorship. If anyone knows anything related to this then please reply. Thanks.
The consultant is most likely right. Your spouse will need to satisfy the agent that they will leave at the end of the 6 months (or however much time border agent grants) and that they have strong ties to India. Having a spouse in Canada is strong tie so they will need to show stuff that requires them to be back in India which can be hard to do. A visitor's visa is meant to be temporary which is why this proof is necessary

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The consultant is most likely right. Your spouse will need to satisfy the agent that they will leave at the end of the 6 months (or however much time border agent grants) and that they have strong ties to India. Having a spouse in Canada is strong tie so they will need to show stuff that requires them to be back in India which can be hard to do. A visitor's visa is meant to be temporary which is why this proof is necessary
The consultant may be right that it's best to focus on the sponsorship application - but not right that it would (negatively) affect the sponsorship app.

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
The consultant may be right that it's best to focus on the sponsorship application - but not right that it would (negatively) affect the sponsorship app.
I think it can be viewed negatively if an agent chose to. Look at it this way. What kind of marriage is this.....were they visiting each other before? If Canadian resident was always the one to visit in India, what's different about the situation now that makes it necessary for other person to visit? If there were no visits before, is the relationship valid. I am not making an assessments, I am just saying that these are questions that could be asked. We don't know what OP said to the agent we only have one side of that conversation, and while I am not a fan of these consultants, some do have insight. At the end of the day, it's just a theory

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think it can be viewed negatively if an agent chose to. Look at it this way. What kind of marriage is this.....were they visiting each other before? If Canadian resident was always the one to visit in India, what's different about the situation now that makes it necessary for other person to visit? If there were no visits before, is the relationship valid. I am not making an assessments, I am just saying that these are questions that could be asked. We don't know what OP said to the agent we only have one side of that conversation, and while I am not a fan of these consultants, some do have insight. At the end of the day, it's just a theory
I do not understand your points - they seem to bear mostly on whether the TRV itself will be approved, or mostly be about whether the PR app itself is 'solid', not whether the TRV application/refusal will negatively impact the PR application. It all sounds to me like overthinking.

-What kind of marriage is this? - That's something to address in the PR application.
-What's different now to make it necessary to visit? -Don't see how, if 'unnecessary' and hence TRV refused, that will hurt the PR app. The married couple want to visit/reside together. (The desire to reside together will hurt the TRV chances, of course, but not vice versa)
-If no visits before - again, to address in the PR application. And anyway, the record of visits before etc will be in the PR app anyway, applying for the TRV won't change that.

I am somewhat assuming this may be an arranged or similar marriage (and my assumption may be wrong) - but if so, the hurdles to demonstrate it's a genuine marriage are pretty well established. TRV approval chances might be low, but applying for it shouldn't hurt the PR app.

Side note: there is one circumstance in which applying for TRV and getting refused certainly will harm the PR application, and that is where the TRV application is misleading or misrepresents, or contains serious errors or omissions (like not mentioning the relationship), or differs in content from the PR app. There may be others, of course, but this is a clear one.

Reactions: pat40