+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

echeung

Feb 2, 2021
Short answer: I would wait and see what happens when your COPR is issued and what the validity period is; if possible, it is better from a PR status and applicaiton process to land before it expires. Procedures are changing so (in my view) not worth getting into details before you receive your COPR.

Longer answer:
Typically before covid, the COPR validity date was final validity, period; the PR application was considered abandoned after that date. Sponsor can re-apply to sponsor, there is/was no penalty.

Now: only with respect to covid delays, IRCC was for months instructing COPR holders to submit a webform when ready-to-travel. They changed that guidance in January:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2020-covid-approved-pr-applications.html

They now say 'they will contact' the copr-holders directly. I've not seen reports of how this works at all or if they have actually started contacting COPR holders. (I suppose one can still contact to request but not clear whom to contact or with what information)

But it seems they are implementing new procedures and will extend in some fashion (important to note from IRCC perspective this is not an 'extension'). Keep in mind - it is almost certain that this is a temporary measure and will change (ie eventually they will revert to letting COPRs expire normally).

I outlined my experience with this before the recent changes (wrote to visa office and they cancelled previous visas and COPRs, and issued us new ones - only thing required was physically submitting the passports again, no new medical required):
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/copr-expired-family-class.715135/

But I repeat, this was before the changes and I have no idea how they will proceed going forward, or whether this would apply to others in similar-seeming cases.

Hope this helps even if it gives little additional clarity.
Thanks for the answers, that's clear & detail.

gokul0989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
WhatsApp chat translation: https://www.translate-englishto.com/chat-translation/

Proof of Relationship:
Marriage certificate
Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM5409), if applicable
Birth certificates of both partners
Any official document naming you as a parent, if applicable (in case of child dependents)
A copy of the inside back cover of the inviter's passport showing the inviter's parents, if applicable
Thank you so much. If I am applying from Canada, do we need to show address proof for Canada and India (country of citizenship).

Also, do we need to submit photographs and facebook profile etc..

RizaBree

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Hi I wish everybody well. Happy New Year too. The thread has been very helpful, thank you for your updates. I hope you can shed a little information on my situation. Some of my questions might be too common but then Id still appreciate your advice since you have applied ahead :) I am getting married to my Canadian Citizen husband this February 2021. I have been here since 2017, came as a Student, finished school 2019, then got my PGWP which will expire Dec 2022.
Questions:
* What do I need to get from the Philippine Consulate here in Vancouver before we apply for Inland Sponsorship? I have been asking the Office of the Consulate through email but they always seem to give unrelated replies.
* Is it also advisable to change my last name first in my BC Id, SIN, bank account, and even Philippine Passport before we apply?
* Is it okay that we only have lived together for 2 months but have been in a relationship for 2 years?
Thank you in advance for your replies :))

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
* What do I need to get from the Philippine Consulate here in Vancouver before we apply for Inland Sponsorship? I have been asking the Office of the Consulate through email but they always seem to give unrelated replies.
* Is it also advisable to change my last name first in my BC Id, SIN, bank account, and even Philippine Passport before we apply?
* Is it okay that we only have lived together for 2 months but have been in a relationship for 2 years?
Thank you in advance for your replies :))
-Start with the application package and what it requires. You'll have to enter your country information here to get the package appropriate: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp
-Doesn't matter about changing name - if you plan on changing your name, it is slightly better to do so before applying (although not too difficult later in process). It's mainly your passport that will matter in this regard.
-yes, it's okay - it's a positive that you are already living together.

Namtu

Nov 30, 2020
Hello everyone,
I had a query. After linking my spousal Application to an online account I was able to see the estimated completion percentage as 19% but now after a few days of linking my Application online, I am unable to see the estimated completion percentage on the gc key. Could you guys please tell me if this is normal? Or is there a reason behind it?

Thanks in advance!!

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
Hello everyone,
I had a query. After linking my spousal Application to an online account I was able to see the estimated completion percentage as 19% but now after a few days of linking my Application online, I am unable to see the estimated completion percentage on the gc key. Could you guys please tell me if this is normal? Or is there a reason behind it?

Thanks in advance!!
If you are referring to that progress bar at the top, it is quite normal. It disappears and appears from time to time. Also, it just shows how much of your 6 month standard processing timeline has passed. Not a real indicator of your application's progress

anil918918

Star Member
Feb 4, 2016
Hey Guys,

I am applying for my spousal visa (outland) we stayed in my home for the major part of our days together after marriage so for proof of past co-habitation can i give my aadhar card(India) .

RizaBree

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
-Start with the application package and what it requires. You'll have to enter your country information here to get the package appropriate: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp
-Doesn't matter about changing name - if you plan on changing your name, it is slightly better to do so before applying (although not too difficult later in process). It's mainly your passport that will matter in this regard.
-yes, it's okay - it's a positive that you are already living together.
Thank you so much :) Reply much appreciated!!! Stay safe :)

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
Hey Guys,

I am applying for my spousal visa (outland) we stayed in my home for the major part of our days together after marriage so for proof of past co-habitation can i give my aadhar card(India) .
A national identity document may serve as proof of relationship, not evidence for cohabitation.

Evidence of cohabitation may include:
  • joint bank accounts or credit cards
  • joint ownership of residential property
  • joint residential leases
  • joint rental receipts
  • joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone)
  • joint management of household expenditures
  • evidence of joint purchases, especially for household items
  • correspondence addressed to either or both parties at the same address
  • important documents of both parties showing the same address, for example, identification documents, driver’s licenses, insurance policies
  • shared responsibility for household management, household chores
  • children of one or both partners are residing with the couple
  • record of telephone calls

Reactions: anil918918

anil918918

Star Member
Feb 4, 2016
Hi Guys,
i am about to send my application to CIC it is a outbound spousal sponsorship and my spouse is in India .So here i will be sending application via Canada Post or Fedex so which address should i send it to .What is the difference between mail and courier please explain .

CPC Sydney
P.O. Box 9500
Sydney, NS
B1P 0H5
or
CPC Sydney
49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, NS
B1P 5Z2

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
Do anyone can tell how much time it take after submitting csq..in outland sponsorship case
Expect around 3 months at least. Last year's timelines were even longer. For example someone applied for sponsor approval/CSQ request on Feb 4, 2020
and received an approved CSQ on 23rd Sep, 2020. Many have received earlier than that