+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
yes the marriage certificate says her surname is Y and before marriage its X .but she doesn't wish to change her surname so all her documents are with surname X even in the passport which was applied after marriage. So i filled her surname as X in all IMM forms . wondering if letter of explanation will suffice.
I think the marriage certificate should be fine for the purpose of your marriage.

There may be a question arise of whether this marriage certificate amounts to a legal change of name - that's a question for the country where you got married.

anil918918

Star Member
Feb 4, 2016
Her name should match with what is in her passport. If your spouse changed her maiden name after marriage it should be supported by an affidavit and the change should reflect in all identity docs. Looks like this is not the case, so the marriage certificate has to be corrected.
i will try to check if Marriage certificate can be corrected because this is the default format in which they give the marriage certificate in my state , if they say its not possible to correct then i will write a letter of explanation .

anil918918

Star Member
Feb 4, 2016
I think the marriage certificate should be fine for the purpose of your marriage.

There may be a question arise of whether this marriage certificate amounts to a legal change of name - that's a question for the country where you got married.
Marriage certificate do not amount to legal change of name in India, there are set of other things to be done to get it legally changed and reflected in all documents which we opted not to do as we wanted to keep the original surname.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Marriage certificate do not amount to legal change of name in India, there are set of other things to be done to get it legally changed and reflected in all documents which we opted not to do as we wanted to keep the original surname.
Then if that's the standard format, I don't think there's an issue. I don't think you need to get a new or different version of marriage certificate.

Reactions: anil918918

Sharmaprakhar

May 5, 2019
Hi Guys. Hope you are doing very well.

I will be very quick, I have forwarded my spouse's family class PR sponsorship immigration file at Sydney's office. It's been exactly a month. Haven't heard anything. I read somewhere in this thread before, that I can call up the IRCC and get a "Temporary FIle Number"attached to my wife's name.

Is one month, a reasonable time to call up IRCC for the same, and can anyone suggest any other alternative course of action which I might not be aware of.

Cheers.

Cinderella_2020

Star Member
Jan 25, 2021

I will be very quick, I have forwarded my spouse's family class PR sponsorship immigration file at Sydney's office. It's been exactly a month. Haven't heard anything. I read somewhere in this thread before, that I can call up the IRCC and get a "Temporary FIle Number"attached to my wife's name.

Is one month, a reasonable time to call up IRCC for the same, and can anyone suggest any other alternative course of action which I might not be aware of.

Cheers.
I’m still waiting for my AOR and it’s been 2months that I sent my application

Kishanthan

Jan 22, 2021
It's 12 month process from the date they receive ur file. You can expect respond from the 6th month.
It's almost 11 month completed. Only one month more. And I got the confirmation from Canadian immigration in Canada they forwarded my file to Colombo office on 13October 2020. Already 3 months cone no update. And I got the selection certificate from Quebec on November 2020. No update after that.

Reactions: Rishavjeet

CCarter

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
Montreal
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
19-02-2020
AOR Received.
03-03-2020
File Transfer...
14-10-2020
I only can provide number 3 from the below list. Is it okay to just write an explanation letter given that I just got married recently in my home country? Or has anyone submitted any other documents with the explanation letter who was in a similar situation?

I was not able to cover my spouse on insurance as they live outside of Canada but I wrote an email to my employer asking and they explained why that is not possible. I included that. I was able to add him as a beneficiary to my life insurance and retirement plans so I printed that confirmation and included it.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019

Cheers.
You can try but it might be a bit early to even get that, another month and it should be available.

gokul0989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2020
Hi Guys, I am gathering my documents to apply for spousal PR for my wife. Could you please let me know the format to get the whatsapp chat hostiry.
Is there any specific company that does it?. And please let me know what are all the supporting documents to be submitted for marriage and relationship proof apart from invitation, chat history?.

Thank you

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
Hi Guys, I am gathering my documents to apply for spousal PR for my wife. Could you please let me know the format to get the whatsapp chat hostiry.
Is there any specific company that does it?. And please let me know what are all the supporting documents to be submitted for marriage and relationship proof apart from invitation, chat history?.

Thank you
WhatsApp chat translation: https://www.translate-englishto.com/chat-translation/

Proof of Relationship:
Marriage certificate
Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM5409), if applicable
Birth certificates of both partners
Any official document naming you as a parent, if applicable (in case of child dependents)
A copy of the inside back cover of the inviter's passport showing the inviter's parents, if applicable

Reactions: gokul0989

echeung

Feb 2, 2021
hi, i have a question re family sponsorship (both me & my spouse are outside CAN) - if i receive CoPR & cannot land CAN before due date. can i extend it?? how if yes?? if i still cannot land on time & it expires, can i re-apply again from the start right after the expiry?? does the sponsor's right to sponsor the same person (spouse) would be affected with the CoPR expiry?? Thanks for your help / advice in advance

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
hi, i have a question re family sponsorship (both me & my spouse are outside CAN) - if i receive CoPR & cannot land CAN before due date. can i extend it?? how if yes?? if i still cannot land on time & it expires, can i re-apply again from the start right after the expiry?? does the sponsor's right to sponsor the same person (spouse) would be affected with the CoPR expiry?? Thanks for your help / advice in advance
Short answer: I would wait and see what happens when your COPR is issued and what the validity period is; if possible, it is better from a PR status and applicaiton process to land before it expires. Procedures are changing so (in my view) not worth getting into details before you receive your COPR.

Longer answer:
Typically before covid, the COPR validity date was final validity, period; the PR application was considered abandoned after that date. Sponsor can re-apply to sponsor, there is/was no penalty.

Now: only with respect to covid delays, IRCC was for months instructing COPR holders to submit a webform when ready-to-travel. They changed that guidance in January:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2020-covid-approved-pr-applications.html

They now say 'they will contact' the copr-holders directly. I've not seen reports of how this works at all or if they have actually started contacting COPR holders. (I suppose one can still contact to request but not clear whom to contact or with what information)

But it seems they are implementing new procedures and will extend in some fashion (important to note from IRCC perspective this is not an 'extension'). Keep in mind - it is almost certain that this is a temporary measure and will change (ie eventually they will revert to letting COPRs expire normally).

I outlined my experience with this before the recent changes (wrote to visa office and they cancelled previous visas and COPRs, and issued us new ones - only thing required was physically submitting the passports again, no new medical required):
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/copr-expired-family-class.715135/

But I repeat, this was before the changes and I have no idea how they will proceed going forward, or whether this would apply to others in similar-seeming cases.

Hope this helps even if it gives little additional clarity.