+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

gagansodhi

Jul 10, 2017
My understanding is that you cannot submit an application to sponsor someone if you have already submitted an application for that same person and a decision on the first application has not yet been made. But that would not preclude you (prevent you) from submitting an application to sponsor a different person. They say that you have "already applied" to sponsor this person, so that does not apply to anyone you have not already applied to sponsor.

That is my opinion based only on my reading of the quote from the IRCC website. And they may have different views of what they wrote. But logically parsing the English statement, that's what it says; may not be what they intended. And this rule makes sense, submitting a second application for the same person would produce a double workload for the IRCC with a second case file for the same person. with possible conflicts in forms and information.
Thanks

Hvank

Star Member
May 26, 2017
Not sure if anyone is still on here that has landed in canada. My husband and his 2 children will land in 2 weeks. I have been looking online and it seems that the landing in person interviews are canceled due to covid Is this true? And we just sign up to do it through the online portal? Any help would be appreciated

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Not sure if anyone is still on here that has landed in canada. My husband and his 2 children will land in 2 weeks. I have been looking online and it seems that the landing in person interviews are canceled due to covid Is this true? And we just sign up to do it through the online portal? Any help would be appreciated
You will still have to go through Immigration. Have to do that to complete the landing process and get your COPR stamped.

Reactions: Hvank

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I get it...all I am trying to get to is an authentic source of this information and not "could be" and "someone posted" kinda info. No offense, this is such a f'ed up process and we all know the amount of mental turmoil we go through for 1yr. At least for such relaxations if there is an authentic source we all can rely on it and pass it on. In good sense :)
Here's the authentic source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-assessing-sponsor.html

A sponsor must be residing in Canada, unless they are a Canadian citizen...

Sponsors who maintain a principal residence in Canada are not considered to be in violation of residency requirements if they:
  • take short holidays or business trips outside Canada on a temporary basis
  • have work arrangements that require them to be outside Canada for temporary finite periods of time, but return to live in Canada in between assignments (such as ship crew or seasonal workers)
A sponsor must be eligible from the day the sponsorship application is received by IRCC until the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.
I've bolded the key parts. If you believe that 'short holidays or business trips' applies to longer periods, that's at your own risk. Similarly it's quite clear that since they refer to 'ship crew or seasonal workers', the intent is not to apply to (for example) those that can work remotely and decide to leave Canada to do so.

Also note that the instructions make it clear that the sponsor must be eligible (i.e. residing in Canada save for the trips referred to) until the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.

Some here have claimed that it's enough to show you have a principal residence in Canada - but it's quite clear from above that maintaining a principal residence in Canada is NOT sufficient to be considered as 'residing in Canada'. (That's the structure of this instruction: those who maintain principal residence in Canada are not in violation if they take short trips - but if longer trips, they are).

Unfortuantely it is true that they have not defined exactly what period of time is considered a short trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike2941

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What if sponsor eligibility is passed. FYI, my spouse app is in progress and I am in India for 4months. I got my Sponsor eligibility while I am in India during the 3rd month.
We have seen others been denied much later in the process. Have you been in India during the majority of your sponsorship process? Do you plan on returning to Canada?

karthikm

Star Member
Apr 20, 2014
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-03-2019 (ITA)
AOR Received.
05-05-2019
Passport Req..
10-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2020
LANDED..........
15-03-2020
Hello Members, I have a query w.r.t Sponsoring my spouse and kid. We are married for 12 years and have a kid. According to CIC website - it seems we don't have to fill financial evaluation form unless we are sponsoring our grand kids as well. The confusion comes in the second part of the statement i have quoted from CIC website below

the Financial Evaluation form (IMM 1283) will help you assess if you (and your spouse or common-law partner, if he or she is co-signing the undertaking) will have the financial ability to support the persons you are planning to sponsor and their family members.

"If you are sponsoring a person other than:

• your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has no family members, or
  • your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has dependent children who have no dependent children of their own, or
  • your child who has no children of his or her own,
you must prove that you have an annual income that is at least equal to the minimum necessary income to support the group of persons consisting of:

• yourself and your family members, whether they are living with you or not;
  • the person you are sponsoring and his or her family members;
  • every other person you have sponsored in the past and their family members, where an undertaking is still in effect or is not yet in effect;
  • every other person for whom you have co-signed an undertaking that is still in effect or is not yet in effect; and
  • every person not included above for whom your spouse or common-law partner has given or co-signed an undertaking that is still in effect or is not yet in effect, if your spouse or common-law partner is co-signing your current sponsorship undertaking.
If you declared bankruptcy and are required to meet settlement arrangements, income earned during the period of the bankruptcy cannot be considered."

I hope I have understood this correctly. Please share your inputs.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello Members, I have a query w.r.t Sponsoring my spouse and kid. We are married for 12 years and have a kid. According to CIC website - it seems we don't have to fill financial evaluation form unless we are sponsoring our grand kids as well.
I hope I have understood this correctly. Please share your inputs.
Correct.

Reactions: karthikm

karthikm

Star Member
Apr 20, 2014
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-03-2019 (ITA)
AOR Received.
05-05-2019
Passport Req..
10-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2020
LANDED..........
15-03-2020

Pink567

Oct 22, 2020
My friend gave medical on 18th November and hospital has submitted her medical results on 24th November. But her medical isn’t updated yet on GCKey. Last week she got pre arrival services letter. Can anyone help us regarding this matter??
P.S. Her country of birth was also wrong in her file but then she raised web form and they said her query is resolved now. Even though it’s not updated yet on ECAS. They called IRCC too but agents weren’t available

PreferredRobot

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
Manitoba
My friend gave medical on 18th November and hospital has submitted her medical results on 24th November. But her medical isn’t updated yet on GCKey. Last week she got pre arrival services letter. Can anyone help us regarding this matter??
P.S. Her country of birth was also wrong in her file but then she raised web form and they said her query is resolved now. Even though it’s not updated yet on ECAS. They called IRCC too but agents weren’t available
Online Takes time to update. It will only show received then change to DM. Thanks what happened with us.

Reactions: Pink567

PreferredRobot

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
Manitoba
I am a sponsor residing in Canada as a Permanent Resident and my wife is in India. We got married on Dec 8, 2020 and while I was in India, we filled up and signed all the forms with date December 15, 2020. Though we are awaiting some papers like PCC and Marriage certificate, do I and my wife need to resign all forms ? Is it ok if I send the documents by Mid-January and does the signatures expires if I send the documents a little late?
No it’s ok

urvish29

Star Member
Jun 13, 2017
Oshawa
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes