+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

couplefromDubai

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Hi Everyone!

I am sponsoring my spouse under family class. Need help with: Form 5532: Sponsorship evaluation and relationship questionnaire

I need help for this question: When did you last live in Canada? I feel my situation is complicated as I have never officially declared myself as Non-Resident even though I have lived less than 183 days per year in Canada after 2011. I just don't want to confuse who ever looks at my application to avoid getting it rejected or flagging anything to the CRA.

I was wondering what date I can put as last lived in Canada based on the below info about me:

• I have been a naturalised Canadian citizen since year 2000 and have been living there constantly. Right after university graduation in 2011 I moved to Dubai to live with my parents who had relocated there for work. I also have a residence permit in Dubai. But I haven’t lived there for more than 183 days/per year after 2011. I don’t have any property or assets in Canada, I just have social ties there.

• I last filed a tax return in 2016 when I visited relatives last for a month, but I reported zero income because I didn’t earn anything in Canada. I was trying to show activity in Canada despite living in Dubai thinking it would help. I also visited relatives in 2013 for a month

• I still have a student OSAP loan with the NSLSC and there is a Canadian mailing address on file (it’s my cousin’s but I said it’s my own address) I am making the payments on it regularly still.

• I have a bank account where there is a Canadian mailing address and phone number on file and I am somewhat active on the account

• I have a drivers license but not a valid health card since I haven't used it.

Other questions:
  1. It's asking me 5 year job history where I was working in Dubai only, but I filed my tax return in 2016 when I visited saying I had zero income. Will this cause an issue?
  2. Does me paying my OSAP loan monthly show intention to return to canada?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hello,

I'm principal applicant and applying visa under Family class. I have a query in IMM 5406 under section A where it states that we have to provide information regarding our mother and father. As my father passed away in 2016 what information I could provide in that section and address information or do I need to leave it vacant?
Marital status you select not applicable-deceased. Then on present address the form clearly tells you to enter city, country and date if deceased.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi Everyone!

I am sponsoring my spouse under family class. Need help with: Form 5532: Sponsorship evaluation and relationship questionnaire

I need help for this question: When did you last live in Canada? I feel my situation is complicated as I have never officially declared myself as Non-Resident even though I have lived less than 183 days per year in Canada after 2011. I just don't want to confuse who ever looks at my application to avoid getting it rejected or flagging anything to the CRA.

I was wondering what date I can put as last lived in Canada based on the below info about me:

• I have been a naturalised Canadian citizen since year 2000 and have been living there constantly. Right after university graduation in 2011 I moved to Dubai to live with my parents who had relocated there for work. I also have a residence permit in Dubai. But I haven’t lived there for more than 183 days/per year after 2011. I don’t have any property or assets in Canada, I just have social ties there.

• I last filed a tax return in 2016 when I visited relatives last for a month, but I reported zero income because I didn’t earn anything in Canada. I was trying to show activity in Canada despite living in Dubai thinking it would help. I also visited relatives in 2013 for a month

• I still have a student OSAP loan with the NSLSC and there is a Canadian mailing address on file (it’s my cousin’s but I said it’s my own address) I am making the payments on it regularly still.

• I have a bank account where there is a Canadian mailing address and phone number on file and I am somewhat active on the account

• I have a drivers license but not a valid health card since I haven't used it.

Other questions:
  1. It's asking me 5 year job history where I was working in Dubai only, but I filed my tax return in 2016 when I visited saying I had zero income. Will this cause an issue?
  2. Does me paying my OSAP loan monthly show intention to return to canada?
Use the actual date of 2011, it shouldn't be a problem for that.

If you didn't declare yourself a non-resident for tax purposes you should have been filing a return every year. I don't know if that would impact your application but it could be an issue with CRA down the road. I don't think the OSAP loan shows an intention to return to Canada. You will have to demonstrate your intention to return by searching for jobs and accommodations. They won't expect you to actually have these things in place but they do show intention. You do have more than just social ties in Canada, bank account, loan and driver's licence count as ties, that can help your case since you still have those.

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
I’m making a big deal out of the passport photos that my wife and I have for our application. The photo place put then on a card stock instead of regular photo paper, and the sides/bottom are a little nicked up where they cut the photos to size. I’m worried the application will get sent back due to this, but the people at the store assured me that they’ve done it this way a lot.

I don’t want to get new pics because of COVID. Any thoughts?

kcm

Jan 4, 2020
Hey all,

so my boyfriend finally got accepted for visitor record after a month of applying, and the expiry date says January 11th which is exactly a full year since he first arrived from California. I am wondering, do we apply for common law the day of or the day before expiry? Or do we apply for another visitor record?

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
Hey all,

so my boyfriend finally got accepted for visitor record after a month of applying, and the expiry date says January 11th which is exactly a full year since he first arrived from California. I am wondering, do we apply for common law the day of or the day before expiry? Or do we apply for another visitor record?
What did you apply for? An extension or a new visa?

Ellaridge

Feb 15, 2020
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me.

I am on currently implied status.
I sent my PR and OWP application in May.
I have not yet received any acknowledgment of my application being received and am unable to link my application online to my account.
I can see on Canada post that my package has been delivered when I type in my tracking number.

My Alberta driving licence is going to expire very shortly and I am wondering if anyone can advise me of what documents will be acceptable to the registry to renew my licence?

Thank you

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me.

I am on currently implied status.
I sent my PR and OWP application in May.
I have not yet received any acknowledgment of my application being received and am unable to link my application online to my account.
I can see on Canada post that my package has been delivered when I type in my tracking number.

My Alberta driving licence is going to expire very shortly and I am wondering if anyone can advise me of what documents will be acceptable to the registry to renew my licence?

Thank you
You will likely find the information you need here:

https://www.alberta.ca/updating-your-alberta-drivers-licence.aspx

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/find-a-registry-agent.cfm

MaryGO

Jun 4, 2020
I’m making a big deal out of the passport photos that my wife and I have for our application. The photo place put then on a card stock instead of regular photo paper, and the sides/bottom are a little nicked up where they cut the photos to size. I’m worried the application will get sent back due to this, but the people at the store assured me that they’ve done it this way a lot.

I don’t want to get new pics because of COVID. Any thoughts?
I'm naturally anxious, so I'd definitely get new photos done if I weren't satisfied with the way the current ones look - which is exactly what happened to me. I had my photos taken at staples (every single employee was wearing masks, btw) on a Monday, returned the next day, spoke to manager - the person who took my photos the previous day did a really bad job - and he took new ones free of charge. They were perfect the 2nd time around, which makes me feel a lot less anxious.

If you don't want to take new photos because of covid, though, then I guess you've answered your own question and your only option is to send whatever you have right now and hope for the best.

Good luck!

Reactions: goldfinger

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
Hey there - the IMM 0008 (Generic Application Form for Canada) allows you to type into the signature box. My wife typed her name into the signature box, printed the form, and then signed it by hand. Is that what you are supposed to do?

That's what it says to do for the Schedule A Background declaration, but I realized there is no such instructions for IMM-0008. Is that a problem?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hey there - the IMM 0008 (Generic Application Form for Canada) allows you to type into the signature box. My wife typed her name into the signature box, printed the form, and then signed it by hand. Is that what you are supposed to do?

That's what it says to do for the Schedule A Background declaration, but I realized there is no such instructions for IMM-0008. Is that a problem?
That will be fine.

lanka1204

Star Member
Sep 16, 2019
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
London visa office
App. Filed.......
09-08-2019
Doc's Request.
13-01-2020 Military service
AOR Received.
21-10-2019
Med's Request
18-10-2019
Med's Done....
29-10-2019
Someone have waiting over a term that's they say 1 year ? And how long after 1 year past for this day ?