+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Dianam975

Aug 18, 2018
Hi
I applied to sponsor my husband for permanent residence and open work permit today and today got an email saying they had recieved the application package and giving me a UCI and application number. Does this mean the processing has started?
My husband's travel visa is going to expire in exactly one month and I'm wondering do I need to renew his visa or is the process far enough so I dont need to?

Indiancreative

Oct 29, 2017
Well folks, there is a situation with my friend.
He got married in a traditional ceremony last year and that the wedding was also celebrated.
He and his partner then started living together. However they did not get the traditional marriage registered which meant they were not legally married. Also, without a marriage certificate there is no basis to inform CIC of marriage. Meanwhile, he got his PPR, landed in Canada and got his PR. Now he is back to his country and has got his marriage registered in a current date. If he wants to go back to Canada now and then sponsor his spouse then is this a legitimate case and what is the best way to approach the situation in this scenario?

Last edited:

singleman

VIP Member
Jul 28, 2018
App. Filed.......
00-05-2020
File Transfer...
00-00-2021
He got married in a traditional ceremony last year and that the wedding was also celebrated.
He and his partner then started living together. However they did not get the traditional marriage registered which meant they were not legally married. Also, without a marriage certificate there is no basis to inform CIC of marriage. Meanwhile, he got his PPR, landed in Canada and got his PR. Now he is back to his country and has got his marriage registered in a current date. If he wants to go back to Canada now and then sponsor his spouse then is this a legitimate case and what is the best way to approach the situation in this scenario?
I don't see anything seriously wrong here.Just apply and explain on a sep sheet. I assume they have other proofs with older dates etc. be4 registering marriage!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Which country? How long did they live together before he landed as a PR?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Probably 6 months
You didn't answer but I assume India as the country based on your username.

As per the posts of previous people in this situation, an unregistered traditional marriage in India is still considered legal. Your friend should have declared his spouse and added her to his app. As he didn't, his spouse is excluded from the Family Class.

Indiancreative

Oct 29, 2017
You didn't answer but I assume India as the country based on your username.

As per the posts of previous people in this situation, an unregistered traditional marriage in India is still considered legal. Your friend should have declared his spouse and added her to his app. As he didn't, his spouse is excluded from the Family Class.
That's a problem then. I believe many people would be there stuck in the same kind of situation. CIC says the marriage should be legally registered which has led to this situation now. What is the other alternative then?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That's a problem then. I believe many people would be there stuck in the same kind of situation. CIC says the marriage should be legally registered which has led to this situation now. What is the other alternative then?
The wife needs to qualify to immgrate herself.

LaurieMTL

Aug 20, 2018
Hi everyone. I am about to start working on the application for my partner but I am not sure under which category we should apply.. here is our situation: our relationship started in June 2017 when I was on vacation in his country. Then I moved back to Canada in July and then moved to his country and stayed there for 11months (August 2017 to July 2018). Technically we did not exactly lived together for a whole year (almost though). He can not come here because his tourist visa got declined and the only way for him to be here is a PR. Should we apply under conjugal partner or common law partner? I am a permanent resident living in Quebec. Thank you for your help

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
Hi everyone. I am about to start working on the application for my partner but I am not sure under which category we should apply.. here is our situation: our relationship started in June 2017 when I was on vacation in his country. Then I moved back to Canada in July and then moved to his country and stayed there for 11months (August 2017 to July 2018). Technically we did not exactly lived together for a whole year (almost though). He can not come here because his tourist visa got declined and the only way for him to be here is a PR. Should we apply under conjugal partner or common law partner? I am a permanent resident living in Quebec. Thank you for your help
You cannot apply for either conjugal or common law. You did not live together for 12 months uninterrupted, which is the requirement for common law. You do have the option to live with him in his country, so you cannot apply for conjugal, since it is reserved only for cases where there are immigration or legal barriers to becoming spouses or common law partners. Since there's nothing preventing you from going to his country to live or to get married, then you would not be eligible as conjugal. Your options are that you either move back there and live with him for a full 12 months to establish common law, or you need to get married.

LaurieMTL

Aug 20, 2018
You cannot apply for either conjugal or common law. You did not live together for 12 months uninterrupted, which is the requirement for common law. You do have the option to live with him in his country, so you cannot apply for conjugal, since it is reserved only for cases where there are immigration or legal barriers to becoming spouses or common law partners. Since there's nothing preventing you from going to his country to live or to get married, then you would not be eligible as conjugal. Your options are that you either move back there and live with him for a full 12 months to establish common law, or you need to get married.
Thank you for you reply. But these is an immigration barrier. If i spend too much time out of canada I will loose my permanent residency... And there I need a work permit I cannot just live there without any income

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for you reply. But these is an immigration barrier. If i spend too much time out of canada I will loose my permanent residency... And there I need a work permit I cannot just live there without any income
Unfortunately you should have stayed with him for a bit longer so that you were over the 12 months. You don't qualify for conjugal. Your ability to make an income or the fact that you must meet the RO aren't immigration barriers. You spent 11 months in his country so it is possible. Your only real option is to get married if you want to sponsor him.

LaurieMTL

Aug 20, 2018
Unfortunately you should have stayed with him for a bit longer so that you were over the 12 months. You don't qualify for conjugal. Your ability to make an income or the fact that you must meet the RO aren't immigration barriers. You spent 11 months in his country so it is possible. Your only real option is to get married if you want to sponsor him.
What about June 2017? Can it not count? We were together and even stayed in the same place and I came back to Canada for only a month. So we did live together for 12 months. Just not consecutively.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What about June 2017? Can it not count? We were together and even stayed in the same place and I came back to Canada for only a month. So we did live together for 12 months. Just not consecutively.
It must be continuous. Your choices are to get married or go live with him for a full year to become common-law.

Exorcist

Star Member
Feb 6, 2018
  1. We received your application for permanent residence on June 21, 2017.
  2. We started processing your application on April 23, 2018.
  3. We sent you correspondence on October 23, 2017. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
  4. We sent you correspondence on March 7, 2018. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
  5. We sent you medical instructions on March 28, 2018. To avoid delays, please provide us the information requested in the letter as soon as possible. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  6. Medical results have been received.
  7. We sent you correspondence on April 24, 2018. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required... WHO KNOWS WHATS NEXT HERE?? IS UP TO 10? Or 7 is the Last ?SOMEONE CAN HELP ME PLS! Tia
Nope it will show landed in the last step.