+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

ebarby

Jan 30, 2018
Hello everyone, as probably most people in this forum I'm trying to find some answers...

I entered in Canada on June 15, 2016, and was issued an OWP valid until June 14, 2017 (working holidays program). My partner is Canadian, we've been together since Sept 2014, we live in the same apartment (rental contract under both names) since July 3, 2016, I sent CIC photos and everything to prove that this is a genuine relationship, we also officialized it signing a common law agreement to make the application more complete.

June 15, 2016:
arrived in Canada and was issued an OWP valid for one year;
May 13, 2017: I submitted my paper application for Spouse Sponsorship
June 27, 2017: CIC returned my application due to a missing translation
July 25, 2017: CIC received all the paperwork again
September 12, 2017: they requested my Criminal Checks, which I uploaded online a few days after. And haven't heard from them since.

My concerns are when I first sent my application my OWP was still valid, by the time I resent it wasn't. However, when they received my application for the second time my visa was expired for less than 90 days, so I could have my status restored. ~I haven't paid for the restoration of status since I wasn't aware of it at the time :/

I don't even know what my status is, my eTA is valid until 2021.

Today is February 5, 2018, I haven't heard from CIC since Sep 12, 17. My concern is if is there any possibility of CIC extending my work visa or for me to work again will need to wait for my PR to be issued after 12 months of wait? Does anyone face the same situation with your applications not moving forward for months and months?

I really wanted to go back to work, even more knowing that I am a skilled professional and could find a good job easily, keep paying taxes and etc...

Any help and advice would be really appreciated!

Cheers,

Emmanuelle

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone, as probably most people in this forum I'm trying to find some answers...

I entered in Canada on June 15, 2016, and was issued an OWP valid until June 14, 2017 (working holidays program). My partner is Canadian, we've been together since Sept 2014, we live in the same apartment (rental contract under both names) since July 3, 2016, I sent CIC photos and everything to prove that this is a genuine relationship, we also officialized it signing a common law agreement to make the application more complete.

June 15, 2016:
arrived in Canada and was issued an OWP valid for one year;
May 13, 2017: I submitted my paper application for Spouse Sponsorship
June 27, 2017: CIC returned my application due to a missing translation
July 25, 2017: CIC received all the paperwork again
September 12, 2017: they requested my Criminal Checks, which I uploaded online a few days after. And haven't heard from them since.

My concerns are when I first sent my application my OWP was still valid, by the time I resent it wasn't. However, when they received my application for the second time my visa was expired for less than 90 days, so I could have my status restored. ~I haven't paid for the restoration of status since I wasn't aware of it at the time :/

I don't even know what my status is, my eTA is valid until 2021.

Today is February 5, 2018, I haven't heard from CIC since Sep 12, 17. My concern is if is there any possibility of CIC extending my work visa or for me to work again will need to wait for my PR to be issued after 12 months of wait? Does anyone face the same situation with your applications not moving forward for months and months?

I really wanted to go back to work, even more knowing that I am a skilled professional and could find a good job easily, keep paying taxes and etc...

Any help and advice would be really appreciated!

Cheers,

Emmanuelle
Hi

You have no status and haven't since June. You do not qualify for the OWP until after AIP because you did not have status when you submitted your app and you are far beyond the time to apply for Restoration.

Note that if you have worked at all since your permit expired in June, it was illegal.

Aside from that, if you started living together July 2016, you were not common-law when you applied in May 2017 and your app was guaranteed to be returned regardless.

Reactions: Black Beauty

ebarby

Jan 30, 2018
Hi

You have no status and haven't since June. You do not qualify for the OWP until after AIP because you did not have status when you submitted your app and you are far beyond the time to apply for Restoration.

Note that if you have worked at all since your permit expired in June, it was illegal.

Aside from that, if you started living together July 2016, you were not common-law when you applied in May 2017 and your app was guaranteed to be returned regardless.
Thanks for your answer! Was what I was kind of imaging.. however, should I apply for a visitor visa or something? Not sure what should I do, I'm concerned about my status to remain in Canada. Not sure how long it would take to receive the AIP, CIC only requested for my criminal checks in September and nothing else.

I am aware that I am not allowed to work, that's the reason why I am so eager to get my PR. :/

We did the common law agreement in April 2017, to avoid issues with the length we've been cohabiting by the time I submitted the docs.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your answer! Was what I was kind of imaging.. however, should I apply for a visitor visa or something? Not sure what should I do, I'm concerned about my status to remain in Canada. Not sure how long it would take to receive the AIP, CIC only requested for my criminal checks in September and nothing else.

I am aware that I am not allowed to work, that's the reason why I am so eager to get my PR. :/

We did the common law agreement in April 2017, to avoid issues with the length we've been cohabiting by the time I submitted the docs.
There is nothing you can do at this point to legalize your status except leave Canada, which is not advisable. You will need to wait for AIP, at which point you can apply online for an OWP. I suggest you join the inland thread to see the current timelines for AIP.

Nothing to do with the common-law agreement. You stated that you moved in together July 2016, which means you became common-law July 2017; if you originally applied May 2017, you were not common-law at that point.

mrseidl

Feb 6, 2018
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me with a question:

1. I'm American and recently got married to my now Canadian wife last month in Canada. I'm planning to apply in-land for a PR but have NOT yet submitted any documents. I plan on doing so in 1-2 weeks once I get all of my documentation sorted out
2. However, my visitor status ends the beginning of next month.
3. I want to know if I should fill out the Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Visitor application NOW since my visitor legal status ends very soon, or can I afford to wait another 1-2 weeks and submit the visitor extension, and all spousal PR and open work permit forms all at once. I'm worried about getting my extension rejected and not being able to stay in Canada with my wife during the PR process, since my 6 months visitation is almost up. Thanks

Reactions: Black Beauty

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me with a question:

1. I'm American and recently got married to my now Canadian wife last month in Canada. I'm planning to apply in-land for a PR but have NOT yet submitted any documents. I plan on doing so in 1-2 weeks once I get all of my documentation sorted out
2. However, my visitor status ends the beginning of next month.
3. I want to know if I should fill out the Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Visitor application NOW since my visitor legal status ends very soon, or can I afford to wait another 1-2 weeks and submit the visitor extension, and all spousal PR and open work permit forms all at once. I'm worried about getting my extension rejected and not being able to stay in Canada with my wife during the PR process, since my 6 months visitation is almost up. Thanks
The visitor extension can't be submitted with the PR app. Include proof of funds and the PR fee receipt and state that you have applied for sponsorship. You should have no issues.

July2016

Feb 6, 2018
Hi,my wife sponsored me in july 2016 inland, and until now still in process status for PR and i dont recieve any correspondence after my medical in june 2017,anyone on the same month of filling because im so worried.thanks

Ian1912

Oct 9, 2017
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
05-09-2017
Hi guys i have a question!
I submitted my app last nov 22, 2017 because it was returned i applied for visitor extension and submitted it nov 29, 2017 (no respose/decision made ) my visitor visa was expired dec 12, 2017. Recevied my AOR january 10, 2018
My question is will i receive my OWP on the 3-4 months time frame?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys i have a question!
I submitted my app last nov 22, 2017 because it was returned i applied for visitor extension and submitted it nov 29, 2017 (no respose/decision made ) my visitor visa was expired dec 12, 2017. Recevied my AOR january 10, 2018
My question is will i receive my OWP on the 3-4 months time frame?
Yes.

blackpearl

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-11-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2015
Hi, I have a couple of questions.

I received my PR in May 2016, completed landing in October 2016. Havent been to Canada since then. I do have my PR card with me.

After wards, I got married in 2016 end. I am planning to move to Canada from USA next month as my company is transferring me to Toronto.

How should I sponsor my wife? What can be the best approach?

Should I bring her with me on a visitor VISA and then sponsor?

brizzha

Feb 6, 2018
Hi guys :)

I am new in this forum.
I am waiting on my PR too. I am from Mexico City.

We applied inland. Our application was received on DEC 2, 2016
We are still waiting... I sent my medical exams and they were successful.
They have been processing my background check since May.
When I access the website it just says when my application was received and that my medical records were received, and when I call the machine says that my medical results were successful and that they do not need an interview at the moment, and if they need my fingerprints they will tell me.
For what I understand my eligibility hasn't started yet. I think they are backed up... is this happening to someone else, should I be worried and call them? I do not know if they forgot me or maybe lost my application because nothing has changed.

I have been waiting for more than a year and the only reason why I am getting so impatient is because I can't leave and I really miss Mexico and my grandma, she is getting old and I want to go to see her.

I hope someone can tell me their experience.

BH

Last edited:

Snowcab

Star Member
May 7, 2017
Hi, received pre-arrival services message today. Still shows awaiting background check and DM on GCKEY. ECAS just says send us any paperwork from July (already submitted in July). Does this mean that COPR is on it's way and Passport Request?

Reactions: christina88

Aob-Dtd

Star Member
Feb 7, 2018
Hope anyone can help me with this.

Our inland spousal application was sent December 18, 2017.
Got out AOR February 05, 2018.

I was sponsored by my husband who is a Canadian Citizen. I have a dependent child with my past relationship and he was included on our application as my dependent child, accidentally we put him in non-accompanying dependent child but that is not what we want to happen. We want him here. We made a mistake for not understanding what non accompanying means. We just thought that since he was not here in Canada he can't accompany me right away. Is there a way of changing him from non-accompanying to accompanying dependent child? Would it slow down my whole pr process? What's the best way to do now? Pls need answer. Thankyou so much for the help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hope anyone can help me with this.

Our inland spousal application was sent December 18, 2017.
Got out AOR February 05, 2018.

I was sponsored by my husband who is a Canadian Citizen. I have a dependent child with my past relationship and he was included on our application as my dependent child, accidentally we put him in non-accompanying dependent child but that is not what we want to happen. We want him here. We made a mistake for not understanding what non accompanying means. We just thought that since he was not here in Canada he can't accompany me right away. Is there a way of changing him from non-accompanying to accompanying dependent child? Would it slow down my whole pr process? What's the best way to do now? Pls need answer. Thankyou so much for the help.
Just send a Webform asking to change the child to accompanying. It won't slow anything down.