Spousal sponsorship

hatem1981

Star Member
Jun 28, 2017
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
12-09-2017
hi guys. I just have CPR and intend to sponsor my family once i have my PR card. so probably i won't be working yet. Is that Ok ? I'll provide the same PoF used in express entry.

planningtogo

Aug 1, 2011
Bacolod, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I downloaded our chat history and I was only able to retrieve messages from July 2016 until today ( we started our long distance relationship 2014). Will this be a big issue since we cannot provide conversation from that year?

Can someone with the same dilemma tell me how did you go about it please? Thanks

canadian2002

Star Member
Nov 18, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
11-10-2017
AOR Received.
22-11-2018
File Transfer...
04-12-2017
Med's Request
27-11-2017
Med's Done....
29-11-2017
Passport Req..
01-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2018
LANDED..........
20-06-2018
Hi all!

I’m a sponsor, sponsoring my husband (Outland), our application was received Oct 11 so we’re waiting for AOR1 at the moment.

I have a question regarding sponsorship approval, at the time of submitting our application I was in between jobs, so I checked off “not currently employed in Canada”, however I had already been offered a job and was waiting for my contract (started in November). I provided email exchanges with the hiring manager and a letter explaining that I would start working.

Now, I’m wondering if I can somehow send a copy of my contract or letter from employer to provide additional proof. Should I wait until we have an application number? Or Can I write and email and give details of birthdates, names, etc for them to be able to connect it to our application?

Has anyone been in this position before? Have you sent additional documents my post after your application? Or have you been approved as sponsor but were not working?

Any advice much appreciated! And best of luck to all those in the process.

sand0987

May 29, 2014
I have few questions that I need more clarity on,

I recently completed my short landing and am a PR but currently living in India, however as I am getting married on 29th Nov, post wedding I would like to apply for Spousal sponsorship for my Fiancee and would like to know the best approach in doing so, so that she would become a PR in the least time possible.

I am aware that there are 2 categories under which we can file for spousal sponsorship
1) Applying for spousal sponsorship while spouse outside of Canada(Processing time 6-10 months at best)
2)Apply for spousal sponsorship while spouse in Canada (can take longer than 2 and go up to 3 years also)

I am planning to apply Visitor visa for Fiancee before the marital status changes(i.e before 29th Nov) as a proactive measure so that she would be able to travel when required, and post wedding apply for Spousal Sponsorship under the 1st category, so here is where I need some clarity to understand If Visitor Visa can have any implications

Coming to the questions now,

1)Say the Visitor Visa goes through, I apply for Spousal Sponsorship under Spouse outside Ca category while Priyanka is in India and and later she travels to Ca on Visitor Visa then would the application change internally and fall under the 2nd category because she is in Ca and as a result application processing would also take much longer per the updated category?

2)Can I sponsor for Spouse/Dependent while I am in India?(so that we can travel together once her PR issued, if in case the Visitor Visa doesn't go through)

3) will rejection of Visitor Visa have any bearing on Spousal sponsorship? Would this cause doubts/Concerns to the Visa office
the main reason being that we do not wanted to separated in the early stages of marriage due to Visa issues .

4)Is there a dependent Visa that we can apply so that she would be able to travel with me.

5)the reason we are applying for Visitor Visa before marriage is because I found out that applying for Visitor visa after marriage will result in automatic rejection. is this true?

Is there a better way so that we can travel together while her PR is being processed?

Any advice is appreciated and all the best to all those whose application is in process.

Last edited:

christina88

Star Member
Sep 13, 2017
To apply for sponsorship, a sponsor should have a job in Canada and show the tax declaration. If the sponsor lives outside Canada, he/she needs to show intensions on moving to Canada (job offer/renting a house/letter from relatives as a confirmation, etc).
Travel visa and sponsorship are not related, so can be done parallel.
If u apply outside and then ur wife visits u in Canada with a tourist visa, it doesn't change your case from outside to inside.

triggercut

Nov 19, 2017
Hello,

My wife is a Canadian citizen and we have a child who was born in the UK but now has dual citizenship so is also a Canadian citizen. We're currently completing the spousal sponsorship under the family class and are wondering:

1. Do we have to state our child and my wife as dependents on IMM 0008? The guidance notes suggest not as neither of them are Canadian citizens but doesn't make it 100% clear.

2. Should I put our child on the additional dependents form or leave this blank as it doesn't seem to apply? Again, it's not 100% clear as the notes suggest I shouldn't need to as our child is a Canadian citizen, but also states that I should complete it on behalf of each of my dependants not included on the IMM 0008 form.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help us answer this.

Last edited:

KayEll

Sep 15, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
05-07-2017
Doc's Request.
23-08-2017
AOR Received.
10-08-2017
File Transfer...
10-10-2017
Med's Request
18-08-2017
Med's Done....
21-08-2017
Passport Req..
06-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-2018
LANDED..........
24-06-2018
My husband has sponsored me and he is citizen of canada and I am indian. My medical result has been received by 11 of sept. And after that cic sent me notification that my file processing has been started on 9 of October. So how much will it take to get my PR ??
I applied for my spouse in July. Also NDVO
Medical and everything else completed in August. File transferred Oct. 9th as well.
From what I've gathered from all these forums, on average, it can take anywhere between 3-6 months after they start processing it in VO. Have patience hun n good luck.

Reactions: Ankitasingh
Nov 19, 2017
Hello all,
I am sponsoring my spouse and need to clarify on few doubts
1. My spouse was rejected UK study visa in 2010 and now I need to sponsor in canada. Will my spouse need to attach refusal letter(which has been lost) while applying or provide any other document.
2. Does having a little misprint with mother's name on my spouse study documents is going to effect my spousal application.

Any help would be much appreciated. thanks

Botse

Nov 20, 2017
Hi everyone,

So very glad that I found this forum. I have a couple of questions that I cannot get any clarification on;

1) My wife is Canadian and I am Australian but we currently live in Abu Dhabi. We were married in Canada 6 years ago. My wife is considered a non-resident. Does she need to accept work before she can apply to be my sponsor? I'm assuming yes but just want to make sure and therefore can I enter the country and live with my wife while awaiting for the sponsorship to go through?;
2) How long does the process normally take?; and
3) Once approval for sponsorship is granted, how soon must I enter Canada under this visa? Is there an expiry period?

I am really hope some clarity can be provided here.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Reactions: Ravs1988

aipm487

Oct 18, 2017
Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding police certificate.
I am filipino and has PR visa in Japan I stayed there 2015-2017 so aside from NBI cert from philippines I also went to Japanese Embassy in Manila to get a police clearance so now, I just received the police cert from japan sealed in an envelope and I was instructed not to open it or else the document will be voided. Meaning I cannot scan it so I went to Canadian embassy in Manila but the receptionist can’t help me and did not accept my police clearance. What should I do? Hope someone could help me. Thanks in advance.

Bakhlava

Jul 29, 2017
HI Everyone,

I am a Canadian Citizen, and was separated from my husband in 2015, but unfortunately it took a long time for our divorce to occur, and I was advised not to marry my long time friend until my divorce was finallized.
I finally got my divorce certificate in September of 2017 and immeaditely went to Iran to get marrried. I just sent my spousal sponsorship package. I had 3 questions:

Will the fact that my divorce was in September and my marriage came 2 weeks after cause a problem/doubt???
(We have 4 years of pictures and trips together showing us together, with friends and family.)

Can my husband get a visitor visa, if I send him an invitation letter, or chances are he will get refused?

What is the average time for spousal sponsorship to be processed, it outland but I sent it to Mississauga?

Thanks in advance

napavalley

Star Member
Dec 23, 2016
Hi,
I'm a FSWO Express Entry candidate and got my CoPR. In my EE application I had mentioned my spouse as Non-accompanying (including my spouse as accompanying was bringing my CRS score down to levels which were much below the then prevailing CRS cut-offs. Thought I will sponsor her PR once I get mine)

While I will be sponsoring my spouse's PR once I complete my landing, I understand the tourist visas for spouse's get rejected until you wait till AoR 2 of the sponsorship application, causing a lot of gap which I would like to possibly avoid as much as possible.

Is there is any other visa (Open work-permit, Dependent etc.) using which my spouse can legally come to Canada the earliest possible?

Ukrainian girl

Oct 7, 2017
App. Filed.......
22-12-2017
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Med's Request
07-03-2018
HI Everyone,

I am a Canadian Citizen, and was separated from my husband in 2015, but unfortunately it took a long time for our divorce to occur, and I was advised not to marry my long time friend until my divorce was finallized.
I finally got my divorce certificate in September of 2017 and immeaditely went to Iran to get marrried. I just sent my spousal sponsorship package. I had 3 questions:

Will the fact that my divorce was in September and my marriage came 2 weeks after cause a problem/doubt???
(We have 4 years of pictures and trips together showing us together, with friends and family.)

Can my husband get a visitor visa, if I send him an invitation letter, or chances are he will get refused?

What is the average time for spousal sponsorship to be processed, it outland but I sent it to Mississauga?

Thanks in advance
Hi...do you have any proofs that you were separated from your ex husband since 2015, maybe tax returns from that year showing your status as separated, maybe any other documents? Would be good to have any documents like that just in case CIC wonders about details of your first meeting and you could send those documents to them to make it clear to them that you really were separated at that time.

napavalley

Star Member
Dec 23, 2016
I will try to answer few of your questions based on what has happened to a friend of mine. He was already a PR prior to marriage and was working in Canada. Came down to India for wedding and applied for a tourist visa post wedding and got rejected. He (and his spouse) is in India now and has applied for spousal sponsorship and plans to apply again for a Tourist/Visitor visa for his wife once the sponsorship application reaches AoR 2. Though he is in India now he has a friend back in Canada who is helped him out in sending the sponsorship package to Mississauga from Canada (he sent the package from India to his friend in Canada and his friend shipped it to the VO from Canada as though it were the Sponsor (my friend) that shipped it.

1. Not sure. Would let the experts answer this. My suggestion: Begin paperwork for your sponsorship application right away and submit it as soon as you get your marriage certificate (saves a lot of time as there is too much paperwork involved, at least in comparison to EE). Ensure that your spouse is still in India until AoR 2. And once it reaches AoR 2 then ask your wife to travel to Canada. That way you can still legally use option 1 which is faster.

2. Yes you can. That's what my friend has done. But you need someone in Canada who can help you with shipping the package to the VO. And also be able to convey any postal communication that you may come from the VO.

3. Don't think so. You can go ahead and sponsor. However you will have to mention that your spouse's TV got rejected and explain the circumstances.

4. I would be interested in this answer. I am an EE FSWO applicant and added my spouse as non-accompanying. I'm researching this as well to be able to take my spouse asap (minimal separation)

5. I did hear that this is true and have seen this happen to my own friend.

Would let experts answer as well. Interested to know if there is a better way (dependent visa etc. )

I have few questions that I need more clarity on,

I recently completed my short landing and am a PR but currently living in India, however as I am getting married on 29th Nov, post wedding I would like to apply for Spousal sponsorship for my Fiancee and would like to know the best approach in doing so, so that she would become a PR in the least time possible.

I am aware that there are 2 categories under which we can file for spousal sponsorship
1) Applying for spousal sponsorship while spouse outside of Canada(Processing time 6-10 months at best)
2)Apply for spousal sponsorship while spouse in Canada (can take longer than 2 and go up to 3 years also)

I am planning to apply Visitor visa for Fiancee before the marital status changes(i.e before 29th Nov) as a proactive measure so that she would be able to travel when required, and post wedding apply for Spousal Sponsorship under the 1st category, so here is where I need some clarity to understand If Visitor Visa can have any implications

Coming to the questions now,

1)Say the Visitor Visa goes through, I apply for Spousal Sponsorship under Spouse outside Ca category while Priyanka is in India and and later she travels to Ca on Visitor Visa then would the application change internally and fall under the 2nd category because she is in Ca and as a result application processing would also take much longer per the updated category?

2)Can I sponsor for Spouse/Dependent while I am in India?(so that we can travel together once her PR issued, if in case the Visitor Visa doesn't go through)

3) will rejection of Visitor Visa have any bearing on Spousal sponsorship? Would this cause doubts/Concerns to the Visa office
the main reason being that we do not wanted to separated in the early stages of marriage due to Visa issues .

4)Is there a dependent Visa that we can apply so that she would be able to travel with me.

5)the reason we are applying for Visitor Visa before marriage is because I found out that applying for Visitor visa after marriage will result in automatic rejection. is this true?

Is there a better way so that we can travel together while her PR is being processed?

Any advice is appreciated and all the best to all those whose application is in process.

alexvc55

Nov 22, 2017
Does anyone knows the reason why processing time increased for spousal sponsorship...previously it was 9 weeks now its increased to 26 week