+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Material said:
The question is should I include family members like mother,father,brother and sister they are not canadian nor permenent residants and they dont wish to come to Canada ? do they fall under this category?

Appreciate your answers
No.

saphire

Mar 9, 2011
Ok, here is my situation wondering if anybody has useful advice.

I am a Canadian citizen living in the US (not a permanent resident of the US) I married my husband March 2009 and we ended up having a child here and I was unable to go back to Canada because I was pregnant at the time and my contract job as an interior house painter had ended. So I decided to stay in the US with my husband seeing as he has work here. I have now been in the US from Nov 09 - present. We now have a 6 month baby together, have been living together for over a year (can prove lease, bills etc) so I have no worries about proving our marriage is legit.

Now we are wanting to move to Canada, I want to sponsor him to come while we are still in the US. We are planning on buying a house up there and both find work when we get there. We are saving for a house right now and will be able to put a very substantial downpayment down. We will stay with my parents until all the kinks are worked out and find work. But because I am unemployed currently and cannot get a job here in the US because I only have conditional permanent residence status through marriage to a US citizen (no social security number therefore cannot work and we don't want to go through this process twice, here in the US and in Canada) and I am a housewife. I am worried they will refuse my sponsorship application? Is it possible for my brother to be a co sponsor? Or can my parents to sponsor my husband to come to canada seeing as they both meet the income requirements? Or will I have to move back up there and get a job first? Or do I simply have to prove that I will be able to support him when he comes?

This is all very confusing, any help would be very appreciated. Thank you in advance.

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
Saphire, there are no income requirements for spousal sponsorship (which also means you don't need and can't have co-signers; your parents wouldn't be eligible to sponsor your husband at all since they are not considered family for immigration purposes). However, you will have to prove you indeed intend to move back to Canada once your husband's residence is approved, so make sure you include some proof of that (a letter from your parents stating they are willing to support you for a time, bank statement showing savings for the down payment, any job offers you might have, anything else you can think of :)) with your application.

Best of luck!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Please read the first post in this thread for further information :)

As you are sponsoring your spouse, you are exempt from meeting minimum income requirements, you only need to show you are not in default of any previous sponsorship arrangements (not applicable to you) or an undischarged bankrupt. Your parents and siblings cannot co-sponsor your spouse so far as I know.

What you need to focus on is documenting your plans for resettlement. As a citizen sponsoring from outside Canada, this is important for you to show. So, the savings for the house (bank statements etc), any contacts you have established with regards to your house hunt, what arrangements you have made to stay with relatives (if any), any job searching you have undertaken should form part of your application. Having your relatives establish that they are aware of your plans and any support they are providing/will provide for you both will be great too.

saphire

Mar 9, 2011
CharlieD10 said:
Please read the first post in this thread for further information :)

As you are sponsoring your spouse, you are exempt from meeting minimum income requirements, you only need to show you are not in default of any previous sponsorship arrangements (not applicable to you) or an undischarged bankrupt. Your parents and siblings cannot co-sponsor your spouse so far as I know.

What you need to focus on is documenting your plans for resettlement. As a citizen sponsoring from outside Canada, this is important for you to show. So, the savings for the house (bank statements etc), any contacts you have established with regards to your house hunt, what arrangements you have made to stay with relatives (if any), any job searching you have undertaken should form part of your application. Having your relatives establish that they are aware of your plans and any support they are providing/will provide for you both will be great too.
Thank you fleo and Charlie for your quick and informative responses!

About the undischarged bankruptcy, while I have never claimed bankruptcy I do have some unpaid credit card debt in canada that has most certainly been sent to collections (i have no real idea what has happened to this debt because i moved away and had no forwarding address and no phone) but up until recently because of my financial situation (not being able to work in the US and an unexpected child) was unable to pay and so I did a bad thing and just left it alone, in all fairness I had no income and no SS number so could not work even if I wanted to! And while my husband has a good job, this debt was incurred before we were married to is mine alone. Will this be a problem? Should I try to settle this before I apply?

Also, what happens if I am not approved for sponsorship will I get a refund on the application fees? I'm sorry I am so new to all of this. Thank you again for any help you can provide!

Esther2010

Star Member
Jan 21, 2010
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone. Please i need some direction and advice here. Me and my common law (conjugal partner) for 2 years has a 15 months old girl, i am here in the Philippines as hotel manager with our child and my canadian partner has his own courier business in Edmonton. In 2 to 3 months i will be able to get the decision for my annulment which in the future we are planning to get married.

Now, I am applying for a tourist visa this May for his 50th birthday and his parents anniversary, a double celebration. Part of the application is for me to fill out the DECLARATION OF COMMON LAW UNION. Since i am the one applying for this visitors visa may i ask who is the DECLARANT? will it be me or my canadian partner? though in a year or two he will sponsor me someday as his wife.

And this form needs to be notarized, can i have it notarize here in my country or will my partner do it in Canada?

Anyway, i already filed for our child's CERTIFICATE OF CITIZENSHIP, that i dont need to get her a passport since she is below 2 years old.

Please i need help... and thank you in advance. God Bless...

Esther

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
saphire said:
Also, what happens if I am not approved for sponsorship will I get a refund on the application fees?
You will; there is a question about this on the forms with two possible options - either to withdraw the application and get a refund (for everything except the $75 sponsorship fee) or to proceed with the application anyway (basically for people whose applications don't stand a real chance, but who are hoping to be accepted on humanitarian&compassionate grounds). You tick option (A) and get your money back... but it shouldn't come to that :)

As for the credit card debt, I honestly have no idea. Common sense suggests it would be better dealt with before you start the process because, well, a clean slate would look nicer... but to the best of my knowledge uncleared debt on sponsor's side isn't an official obstacle, so to speak, as long as you don't owe money from previous undertakings or child support payments. However, the best of my knowledge may not be very good ;)

saphire

Mar 9, 2011
fleo, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! the best of YOUR knowledge is definitely more helpful/useful to me than the best of MY knowledge ;D

ahmed atta

Mar 11, 2011
good day everyone..

my wife is canadian and we got engage 25 march 2010 and my application was processed from canada in july and sent to islamabad and later i received letter asking wedding pics and original nikah nama with some papers to be fill and i filled all the papers and sent original nikah paper and pics on november 19 2010,and still didnt recieve any paper,i sent couple emails to embassy and it says its still in process to que,please guys can someone help me whats goin on with my case,,,please pray for me to process my case.

thanks

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
Esther2010 said:
Part of the application is for me to fill out the DECLARATION OF COMMON LAW UNION. Since i am the one applying for this visitors visa may i ask who is the DECLARANT? will it be me or my canadian partner?
If you are the one doing the declaring, you are the declarant, I believe.

And this form needs to be notarized, can i have it notarize here in my country or will my partner do it in Canada?
The notary or lawyer will want to see you signing the form and to hear that you swear (as if under oath) that the information on the form is true. So, if you are filling out the form, you will need to be physically signing it with the notary watching, which means that you will need to do it in your country since that is where you are right now.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
ahmed atta said:
my wife is canadian and we got engage 25 march 2010 and my application was processed from canada in july and sent to islamabad and later i received letter asking wedding pics and original nikah nama with some papers to be fill and i filled all the papers and sent original nikah paper and pics on november 19 2010,and still didnt recieve any paper,i sent couple emails to embassy and it says its still in process to que,please guys can someone help me whats goin on with my case,,,please pray for me to process my case.
80% of cases in Islamabad are processed in 21 months after they receive a complete package. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp Some will take less than 21 months, some will take more, but yours only went to Islamabad in July (8 months ago) and it wasn't complete to their satisfaction so you maybe have to count the 21 months from November. It is very difficult waiting, but your application is in a "pile" with a lot of other applications, so it is too early to ask if anything is happening to it yet, in my opinion. Sorry.