canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
cp37 said:
I am new to this thread. My bro is a PR and his wife and their child are US citizens. His wife and child just moved to Canada along with him and my bro is contemplating to apply for my sis-in-law's and nephews's PR. He is thinking of applying under the Spouse-in-Canada Class the reason being it allows for work permit and she is cohabiting with him in Canada.
They should seriously consider an outland app. American outland apps average 4-6 months, whereas it takes 4-5 months just to get the OWP with an inland app. They can maintain their status as visitors in Canada while the outland app processes.

cp37

Aug 4, 2014
Thanks canuck_in_uk.

We are leaning towards outland, however following are the things we are struggling with:-

When I check IRCC's processing times it does not distinguish between inland and outland but just says 12 months.

With an Inland I believe as soon as you get a work permit they (child and mother) can get on provincial health insurance. They have employer provided insurance but still having provincial health Insurance puts you in a better position.

In out-land application I believe you can get on provincial insurance only after you land as a PR not prior.

Thoughts?

canuck_in_uk said:
They should seriously consider an outland app. American outland apps average 4-6 months, whereas it takes 4-5 months just to get the OWP with an inland app. They can maintain their status as visitors in Canada while the outland app processes.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
cp37 said:
Thanks canuck_in_uk.

We are leaning towards outland, however following are the things we are struggling with:-

When I check IRCC's processing times it does not distinguish between inland and outland but just says 12 months.

With an Inland I believe as soon as you get a work permit they (child and mother) can get on provincial health insurance. They have employer provided insurance but still having provincial health Insurance puts you in a better position.

In out-land application I believe you can get on provincial insurance only after you land as a PR not prior.

Thoughts?
The stated times are to approve 80% of all cases, not the average time.

The stated times are currently the target of getting every visa office down to 12 months. To get an idea of the variance, select that you applied before Dec 2016 from the drop-down. No office is accurate on the new ones yet.

An American outland application is very likely to have the whole PR thing done in the same time as, or quicker than, getting just the work permit from an inland application.

Rsquare

Star Member
Apr 12, 2017
cp37 said:
Thanks canuck_in_uk.

Thoughts?

I agree with bcboundboy. It took my application 2 months to process from the time they said "application being processed" to the time I got my COPR. If i factor in post time (the days documents were travelling), it would be at most 3 months. That certainly beats having a work permit in the same time frame {and less probability for the visa office to ask for more documents because the vetting is already done}. Plus, no travel restriction. if your case is straightforward, then in 3-4 months the PR application may be done.

Having said that, each one of us is different. I still kept (and still keeping) my US job all throughout the process. I wont resign til July 1 although Im landing soon. If in your situation Getting a job/healthcare is a priority {since youre already in Canada} then inland may be your better option. For healthcare, Depending on the province there is a 3 month waiting period as I was told.

Goodluck. :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
cp37 said:

Ignore IRCC's processing times. As said above, they are not averages. Outland American apps average 4-6 months.

Healthcare depends on the province. It is not automatic upon receipt of the OWP; some provinces require the person to be employed, some require AIP, some require the waiting period to be served out. Also, when you say they have employer provided insurance, do you mean extended benefits through your brother's employer in Canada? If so, they need to be careful with that, as insurers generally require that people have provincial coverage first; they should confirm with the actual insurance underwriter (not the company HR) that they are allowed to be covered without provincial health coverage.

Outland applicants can be covered in some provinces. Again, it all depends on the province.

mrs.paranoid02

Star Member
Sep 10, 2016
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
02-11-16
Doc's Request.
No additional documents
AOR Received.
04-11-16
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
03-05-16
Passport Req..
15-05-16 DM on ECAS- 13-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
18-05-2017
LANDED..........
Soooooon :)
Hi. I'm just a bit worried.. Is being an illegitemate child delay my application?

Survivor27

Champion Member
May 24, 2016
Planet Earth!
Visa Office......
CEM
App. Filed.......
20.Dec.2016
Doc's Request.
22.Mar.2017
AOR Received.
05.Jan.2017
File Transfer...
13.Jan.2017
Med's Done....
17.Nov.2016_IOM
Passport Req..
19.June.2017
VISA ISSUED...
23.June.2017
LANDED..........
09.Sept.2017
mrs.paranoid02 said:
Hi. I'm just a bit worried.. Is being an illegitemate child delay my application?
Why would you think so? Are you the illegitimate one or your dependent child?

sporkdotca

Mar 26, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
Did you and your wife live together for a year at any time before you became a PR in Feb 2016?

Start here www[dot]cic[dot]gc[dot]ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp. Check what specific requirements there may be for registering the marriage in the Philippines.

Why would you think there would be issues sponsoring her with her maiden name? Women aren't forced to take their husbands' names in Canada, nor are they seen as less married if they keep their names...
Thank you for your inputs canuck_in_uk and Rsquare :)

We did not live together before that. I am not worried actually with the maiden name but she is. And we got married here, so I guess that would not be much of an issue. We just need to provide proof to support our relationship because we don't have a child yet and we didn't live together prior to my PR status and our wedding. We've been together for 4years+ before I moved here.

I have actually filled up most of the application forms for the sponsor, the bulk of it I guess is on my wife's part. I will tell her to not worry about her having a maiden name in the application.

YURRY178

Feb 8, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 19,2017
Doc's Request.
Feb 17,2017
AOR Received.
Feb 17,2017
File Transfer...
March 1,2017
Med's Done....
Sep 2017
sporkdotca said:
Thank you for your inputs canuck_in_uk and Rsquare :)

We did not live together before that. I am not worried actually with the maiden name but she is. And we got married here, so I guess that would not be much of an issue. We just need to provide proof to support our relationship because we don't have a child yet and we didn't live together prior to my PR status and our wedding. We've been together for 4years+ before I moved here.

I have actually filled up most of the application forms for the sponsor, the bulk of it I guess is on my wife's part. I will tell her to not worry about her having a maiden name in the application.

Don't worry, i'm using my maiden name as well in our appliation. I did not changed my family name yet since we got married. It's fine :) Godbless on ypur application!

Survivor27

Champion Member
May 24, 2016
Planet Earth!
Visa Office......
CEM
App. Filed.......
20.Dec.2016
Doc's Request.
22.Mar.2017
AOR Received.
05.Jan.2017
File Transfer...
13.Jan.2017
Med's Done....
17.Nov.2016_IOM
Passport Req..
19.June.2017
VISA ISSUED...
23.June.2017
LANDED..........
09.Sept.2017
YURRY178 said:
Don't worry, i'm using my maiden name as well in our appliation. I did not changed my family name yet since we got married. It's fine :) Godbless on ypur application!
Same here. I renewed my passport last year and still used my maiden name :) I only changed my status.

CanadianZenGirl

Jan 24, 2017
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
AOR Received.
17-01-2017
File Transfer...
10-03-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
LANDED..........
23-06-2017
I used my maiden name as well. It's fine. :)

mv79

Jul 28, 2016
Hi,

We submitted an in-Canada Spousal Sponsorship application in December 2016. Together with it, I also submitted an open work permit application. Does anyone here have an idea, how long it will take to get the work permit or at least a response from them?

Thanks.

icewizard

Star Member
Feb 10, 2016
Paris, France
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris, France
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2017
AOR Received.
25-01-2017
Med's Request
N/A - Upfront
Med's Done....
03-12-2016
Passport Req..
06-04-2017
canuck_in_uk said:
We had a case of a US applicant who got a COPR in 70 days just recently...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QCWtvz-ZMSd0HyJ_aIaGnmsK8S6AoUgJBTv9KHGNPuQ/edit#gid=992511551