canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
marcinha said:
The married certificate is the third document if you are married.
The marriage certificate doesn't count for those proofs, as it is already required in the civil status documents. IRCC is looking for further documents proving the marriage.

sporkdotca

Mar 26, 2017
Hi All,

I would just like to ask how to begin with my spousal sponsorship.

I am a PR(landed Feb. 2016) now and my wife is from the Philippines. She visited last December and along with that we planned our civil wedding as well. She visited on a tourist visa and is now back in the Philippines. Can I start with the outland application right away? or do I have to finish the Report of marriage at the Philippine Consulate here in Toronto? She is worried that if that wont be done first. There may be some issues with my sponsorship application for her because of her maiden name being used in the application.

Thank you

canadasnk

Mar 11, 2017
Hey guys!

Does anyone know the rules for police clearances submitted under the new application guide (2017)? I know under the old forms( before dec 2016) you had to submit one for any country lived in for 6 months or more since 18, but I hear under the new guidelines it says you only need one for where you've spent most of your life since 18? Can anyone confirm what is true?
My spouse has spent most of his life in South Africa since 18 but spent 7 months in Namibia at one point, so not sure if we need for both countries or just South Africa!

Thanks!!

Rsquare

Star Member
Apr 12, 2017
sporkdotca said:
Hi All,

I am a PR(landed Feb. 2016) now and my wife is from the Philippines. She visited last December and along with that we planned our civil wedding as well. She visited on a tourist visa and is now back in the Philippines. Can I start with the outland application right away? or do I have to finish the Report of marriage at the Philippine Consulate here in Toronto? She is worried that if that wont be done first. There may be some issues with my sponsorship application for her because of her maiden name being used in the application.

Thank you

My advice is to go through the checklist and see if you have the necessary documents to file for spousal sponsorship. If you have all the necessary documents, go for it. In my experience, my wife used her maiden name in sponsoring me...and there was never an issue as long as we provided all the necessary documents that our relationship is real. But for more legal advice, I suggest you consult with a reputable attorney. :)

Good luck :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sporkdotca said:

Did you and your wife live together for a year at any time before you became a PR in Feb 2016?

Start here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp. Check what specific requirements there may be for registering the marriage in the Philippines.

Why would you think there would be issues sponsoring her with her maiden name? Women aren't forced to take their husbands' names in Canada, nor are they seen as less married if they keep their names...

Rsquare

Star Member
Apr 12, 2017
I agree with "canuck_in_uk."

To quote the website:

If you hold a Philippine passport, you and your family members included in the application must follow these instructions:
Principal applicant: To establish marital status, the principal applicant must submit either a Certificate of no record of marriage (CENOMAR) to establish that there is no record of marriage, or a Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) Advisory on Marriages providing details about any marriages registered in the Philippines.
If there are any discrepancies between the civil documents issued to the principal applicant and any family members, submit a sworn affidavit explaining the discrepancies.

Births, deaths, and marriages outside the Philippines:

If you are submitting documentation for a birth, marriage or death which occurred a country other than the Philippines, and it has been registered with the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA): Submit the registration document issued by the PSA. Also submit a copy of the certificate issued by the country where the birth, marriage, or death occurred (if one was issued). Use the drop down tool to check the requirements for documents issued by that country.

If you are submitting documentation for a birth, marriage, or death which occurred in a country other than the Philippines, and it has not been registered with the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA): Submit a copy of the birth, marriage, or death certificate which was issued by the country where the birth, marriage, or death occurred. The original may be requested for verification. Use the drop down tool to check the requirements for documents issued by that country.

Hope that helps.

Good luck :)

curiousdan

Mar 9, 2017
Dear All,

I'm curious to find out what are the general processing timings for spousal sponsorship for province of Quebec? Any fellow members who happen to apply for their spouses earlier and can comment in the actual timings? I understand CIC says its 12 months for all standard applications, however I'm looking to see if there is any positive/negative deviation from this time.

Please advise :)

PS: Please let me know if this is not the right post, or if there there is any alternative post.

Thanks.

sridharcw

Nov 20, 2014
How long is the processing time for a family class spouse visa? This is for a spouse living in India being sponsored.
The CIC website simply says 12 months as a standard, but I hear that they are reducing processing times so wanna know the recent trends from recent applications. Any ball park figures and timeline estimates on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
curiousdan said:
Any fellow members who happen to apply for their spouses earlier and can comment in the actual timings? I understand CIC says its 12 months for all standard applications, however I'm looking to see if there is any positive/negative deviation from this time.
Nobody can tell you. The forms, and process, was changed in December, and every processing office was set a 12 month target at that point. Vanishingly few applicants will have gone through the entire process since then. We might start getting an idea about new processing times in the next couple of months.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
sridharcw said:
How long is the processing time for a family class spouse visa? This is for a spouse living in India being sponsored.
The CIC website simply says 12 months as a standard, but I hear that they are reducing processing times so wanna know the recent trends from recent applications. Any ball park figures and timeline estimates on this would be appreciated. Thanks
Nobody can tell you. The forms, and process, was changed in December, and every processing office was set a 12 month target at that point. Vanishingly few applicants will have gone through the entire process since then. We might start getting an idea about new processing times in the next couple of months.

The pre-December 80% target for India was 17 months, so they aim is to bring that down to the new 12 month target, not to reduce it from 12 months to something less.

Rsquare

Star Member
Apr 12, 2017
curiousdan said:
Dear All,

I'm curious to find out what are the general processing timings for spousal sponsorship for province of Quebec? Any fellow members who happen to apply for their spouses earlier and can comment in the actual timings? I understand CIC says its 12 months for all standard applications, however I'm looking to see if there is any positive/negative deviation from this time.

Please advise :)

PS: Please let me know if this is not the right post, or if there there is any alternative post.

Thanks.

If your application is straightforward and complete, it will be within 12 months at 80% of the time. Complex cases may go beyond that. The key to expediency is completeness of the required documents/forms and all other proof they are asking. Another variable is the Visa Office {which is, unfortunately out of your control}. If you have the documents though, you're more likely "within the 12 months" range (12 months or less...a few had that their passport request in 3 months).

Goodluck :)

cp37

Aug 4, 2014
Hi Members;

I am new to this thread. My bro is a PR and his wife and their child are US citizens. His wife and child just moved to Canada along with him and my bro is contemplating to apply for my sis-in-law's and nephews's PR. He is thinking of applying under the Spouse-in-Canada Class the reason being it allows for work permit and she is cohabiting with him in Canada. However I understand it places restrictions from her leaving Canada even for short visits to US. That being said I have the following questions:-

For their son I assume he will have to be added as a "dependent" of my sister-in-law and that takes care of his PR application...right?
OR
Does my brother have to file a separate PR application to sponsor a dependent child in addition to filing a sponsor a spouse in Canada Class?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rsquare

Star Member
Apr 12, 2017
cp37 said:
Hi Members;

I am new to this thread. My bro is a PR and his wife and their child are US citizens. His wife and child just moved to Canada along with him and my bro is contemplating to apply for my sis-in-law's and nephews's PR. He is thinking of applying under the Spouse-in-Canada Class the reason being it allows for work permit and she is cohabiting with him in Canada. However I understand it places restrictions from her leaving Canada even for short visits to US. That being said I have the following questions:-

For their son I assume he will have to be added as a "dependent" of my sister-in-law and that takes care of his PR application...right?
OR
Does my brother have to file a separate PR application to sponsor a dependent child in addition to filing a sponsor a spouse in Canada Class?

Form IMM5533 -- this includes your brother's spouse and the spouse's dependent children. Look at these form and read through the guidelines/checklist. To answer your question, based on that form and the guidelines in the website, the PR sponsorship will be in the same application for the spouse and her dependent children.

Hope that helps. :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cp37 said:
Hi Members;

OR

1. His wife and son have not legally `moved' to Canada. They are visitors to Canada.

2. They will be on the same application, as you have assumed.

A person is always free to leave Canada at any time, but if re-entry is denied, it would jeopardize an Inland applicant.

Being a U.S. citizen makes crossing a little easier but there are no guarantees. If she decides to leave and has proof that a sponsorship application has been submitted before she returns to Canada, that would also help.

cp37

Aug 4, 2014
Thank you Ponga.

Ponga said:
1. His wife and son have not legally `moved' to Canada. They are visitors to Canada.

2. They will be on the same application, as you have assumed.

A person is always free to leave Canada at any time, but if re-entry is denied, it would jeopardize an Inland applicant.

Being a U.S. citizen makes crossing a little easier but there are no guarantees. If she decides to leave and has proof that a sponsorship application has been submitted before she returns to Canada, that would also help.