+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Mari Rocha

Dec 10, 2016
somebody please help me!!

I'm a brazilian girl... i'm married with a canadian citizen... i've arrived in Canada in 31st december 2016 with a visitor visa... i've married here in London at the City Hall in 3rd march 2016... we're just waiting for the marriage certificate to apply a spouse sponsorship... do i need to extend my visa to apply the sponsor? how long can i stay in Canada as a visitor? i don't have a stamp in my passport so they've sent me a letter saying that i've arrived since 31st december 2016... Somebody help me please!!!

Thank you!!!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Mari Rocha said:
somebody please help me!!

I'm a brazilian girl... i'm married with a canadian citizen... i've arrived in Canada in 31st december 2016 with a visitor visa... i've married here in London at the City Hall in 3rd march 2016... we're just waiting for the marriage certificate to apply a spouse sponsorship... do i need to extend my visa to apply the sponsor? how long can i stay in Canada as a visitor? i don't have a stamp in my passport so they've sent me a letter saying that i've arrived since 31st december 2016... Somebody help me please!!!

Thank you!!!
hi, when you traveled to canada did you apply for a visa? Brazil is not visa exempt, so you would have had to have some sort of visa (visitor, student, worker) to travel to canada. if you have a visa in your passport, you need to check to see when it expires and whether it is a single entry or multiple entry visa.

being married to a canadian citizen/PR and applying for permanent residency does NOT give you the right to stay in canada without keeping you status current. if you let your status lapse, you will be in canada illegally, regardless of whether you have a PR application submitted. If you plan to stay in canada while your application processed, then you need to check the validity of your visa, apply to extend your stay as a visitor and request at least a 12 month extension so you can stay in canada without issue.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Mari Rocha said:
If you didn't receive a stamp or a Visitor Record in your passport, you were given a stay of 6 months. What letter are you talking about?

If you apply inland before your status expires, you can include an OWP and that will maintain your status.

If you apply outland, you need to apply to extend your visitor status before it expires.

CDNPR2014 said:
if you have a visa in your passport, you need to check to see when it expires and whether it is a single entry or multiple entry visa.

If you plan to stay in canada while your application processed, then you need to check the validity of your visa, apply to extend your stay as a visitor and request at least a 12 month extension so you can stay in canada without issue.
The validity of a TRV doesn't have anything to do with status in Canada.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
canuck_in_uk said:
If you didn't receive a stamp or a Visitor Record in your passport, you were given a stay of 6 months. What letter are you talking about?

If you apply inland before your status expires, you can include an OWP and that will maintain your status.

If you apply outland, you need to apply to extend your visitor status before it expires.

The validity of a TRV doesn't have anything to do with status in Canada.
i get that, however since Brazil requires a visa, wouldn't looking at the TRV gives a good idea on when her current status will expire, especially if it is a single entry visa?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CDNPR2014 said:
i get that, however since Brazil requires a visa, wouldn't looking at the TRV gives a good idea on when her current status will expire, especially if it is a single entry visa?
No, the TRV wouldn't indicate anything about her status in Canada. A single entry TRV could be valid for months, weeks or just days when a person travels but as soon as they enter, it is no longer valid; it has no reflection on how long a person may stay in Canada.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
canuck_in_uk said:
No, the TRV wouldn't indicate anything about her status in Canada. A single entry TRV could be valid for months, weeks or just days when a person travels but as soon as they enter, it is no longer valid; it has no reflection on how long a person may stay in Canada.
oh interesting, thanks for clarifying.

Vix2587

Oct 26, 2013
Landagirl said:
1. You shouldn't need a lawyer or consultant, but that is up to you. Doesn't sound like your application will be difficult

2. I would maybe add a page from facebook showing that you are a couple or if you announced your engagement or wedding day on there that will help. Otherwise what you have should work. Just remember to keep it to the 10 pages of proof and 20 pictures as per the checklist. If they want more they will request it. Quality over quantity I guess. If you want you can get a letter from a friend or relative stating that they are aware of your relationship, how they met your spouse, when and where type of thing and get it notarized.

3. My husband and I essentially eloped, had no engagement announcement or wedding reception at the time. I did explain though that we were going to have a small reception when he came to Canada so that he could meet my family and friends. My family couldn't afford to fly there and we decided if we just invited his family it would upset my family so it was just the 2 of us. If you explain why you did it that way honestly and that you have plans to go back to India to do the big traditional part of the wedding I am sure it will be fine. IF you have a date set or invitations made for the Reception I would probably include that info.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

It would be really helpful, if you can please inbox me/reply about the document checklist that you guys used for your application. I only require the documents for supporting the relationship like pictures, facebook chats, messages, skype chats, Letter from friends (is there a specific format or requirement for this?) etc. I have also messaged you on your inbox with details.

Looking forward to your support.

Regards
Vivek Arora

Manvirgill

Nov 7, 2012
Hello,

please help

I am trying to validate the IMM 5669 E : Schedule A - Background / Declaration form but It's showing an error that the given name field is empty. My wife has first name only on the passport , As per the instruction i fill the given name in the Family name field and leave the given name field empty.
i filled all the other form without any issue. I am using the 2017 forms (latest)

any suggestions please

thanks

Survivor27

Champion Member
May 24, 2016
Planet Earth!
Visa Office......
CEM
App. Filed.......
20.Dec.2016
Doc's Request.
22.Mar.2017
AOR Received.
05.Jan.2017
File Transfer...
13.Jan.2017
Med's Done....
17.Nov.2016_IOM
Passport Req..
19.June.2017
VISA ISSUED...
23.June.2017
LANDED..........
09.Sept.2017
Manvirgill said:
Hello,

please help

I am trying to validate the IMM 5669 E : Schedule A - Background / Declaration form but It's showing an error that the given name field is empty. My wife has first name only on the passport , As per the instruction i fill the given name in the Family name field and leave the given name field empty.
i filled all the other form without any issue. I am using the 2017 forms (latest)

any suggestions please

thanks
Just a thought, though - have you tried just putting an " * " (asterisk) instead? That's the instruction for the DOB for those who do not know their complete DOB. Maybe give it a try for the form you are trying to fill out and see if the form will validate.

Manvirgill

Nov 7, 2012
Survivor27 said:
Just a thought, though - have you tried just putting an " * " (asterisk) instead? That's the instruction for the DOB for those who do not know their complete DOB. Maybe give it a try for the form you are trying to fill out and see if the form will validate.
Yeah i did .. no luck :(

xls

Mar 17, 2016
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
25-11-2016
AOR Received.
06-12-2016
File Transfer...
12-12-2016
Med's Done....
24-10-2016
Passport Req..
28-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2017
LANDED..........
17-10-2017
Hello,

As waiting time ranges from some months to a few years, I was thinking of filing for a TRV for my wife and kid. Who in the house have successfully application for a visiting visa for their spouse? I have two questions about the documentation for the visitor's visa;

1. How do I word the invitation letter?

2. What documents do I show for purpose of travel as I can't book flight till approved, I can't book hotel since they will stay with me and they are nit coming for any medical appointment. (These are the 3 type of evidence listed in the site under the propose of travel section)

Any idea good people?

mrs.paranoid02

Star Member
Sep 10, 2016
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
02-11-16
Doc's Request.
No additional documents
AOR Received.
04-11-16
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
03-05-16
Passport Req..
15-05-16 DM on ECAS- 13-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
18-05-2017
LANDED..........
Soooooon :)
xls said:
Hello,

As waiting time ranges from some months to a few years, I was thinking of filing for a TRV for my wife and kid. Who in the house have successfully application for a visiting visa for their spouse? I have two questions about the documentation for the visitor's visa;

1. How do I word the invitation letter?

2. What documents do I show for purpose of travel as I can't book flight till approved, I can't book hotel since they will stay with me and they are nit coming for any medical appointment. (These are the 3 type of evidence listed in the site under the propose of travel section)

Any idea good people?

To be honest, applying for a TRV for your wife is not advisable.. Your wife needs to show strong ties in her homecountry or a powerful reason that she's going to come back there. They consider travel history as well.. Booking a flight and accommodation are useless.

xls

Mar 17, 2016
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
25-11-2016
AOR Received.
06-12-2016
File Transfer...
12-12-2016
Med's Done....
24-10-2016
Passport Req..
28-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2017
LANDED..........
17-10-2017
mrs.paranoid02 said:
To be honest, applying for a TRV for your wife is not advisable.. Your wife needs to show strong ties in her homecountry or a powerful reason that she's going to come back there. They consider travel history as well.. Booking a flight and accommodation are useless.
She does have a good travel history and owns a business back home.

Sous02

Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-16
Doc's Request.
22-08-2016
AOR Received.
06-05-16
File Transfer...
28-05-16
Med's Done....
Up front/passed
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
mrs.paranoid02 said:
I don't think "not advisable" is really the word. Difficult to get but not impossible. The trip tickets and hotel mean nothing. Proving that the applicant will return home is the most important part. Job, family connections at home etc. Property owned also helps.